Notices

Is it "normal" to slide into a deep depression?

Old 07-31-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it "normal" to slide into a deep depression?

when you get sober? I have been sober for 7 days and I feel very low. I don't want to leave the house or speak with anyone. I just want to be alone with my son. I think I am depressed. I have no appetite, bursts of crying, insomnia, anxiety, blah.blah.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't know if it's normal, but I know after I left my 6 day detox, I was extremely emotional. I would cry at the drop of a hat. Insomnia is common, too. I would suggest just giving it some more time. It took a few weeks for my mental state to stabilize. Hang in there. Things will get better.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Okay. I guess thats all I can do. Thanks Suki!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was feeling down and sad BIG time the first week. I was so emotional I had to be selective about what TV I watched and music was out of the question, just too powerful for me in that frame of mind. I'm a little over 3 weeks now and trust me, it gets much better. Hang in there
Old 07-31-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Things do level out after a while, but if you find it doesn't you may want to see someone (psychiatrist or doc) who can assess you. I have to take antidepressants (+Trazadone for sleep) and I still had some rollercoaster emotions for a week or two, and NO energy. Hang in there!!!:ghug3
Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

p.s. it takes a while for the brain to get the message that it has to produce its own "feel good" chemicals again (GABA or something like that - I forget).
Old 07-31-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm feeling down too and am on Day 6. Seems to be quite common in the early days. As others have suggested, the passage of time will probably help, but if you're still feeling depressed a consult with your doc is probably a good idea. Hope for happier days ahead for you.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My depression had begun years before I started to drink. So I needed to get proper treatment in place for my depression before I was able to get sober.

Alcohol is a depressant and stopping alcohol is very emotional, so it's possible that the depression will left as time goes by. If not, do talk to your dr.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was depressed for a few weeks after I quit drinking. I'm on day 25 and it's getting better every day. I slept a lot and gave myself a lot of time by myself to process the emotions and get a handle on what my body was going through. Great job on the 7 days. That's the hardest part so keep on!
Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow1323 The answer to your question in my opinion is yes. I'm not a doctor, and I don't know you personally. But, I know for me when I stopped using drugs all of the feelings that I had medicated into numbness came up. I cried for a few weeks. I sure hope you feel better soon. Don't give up your sobriety. You will get better if you just stay clean. Congrats on the time you already have. The first week is usually tough. Hang in there.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ditto Ditto Ditto, I have a blog I wrote similiar to yours. Plus I read new threads on here everyday about depression. Maybe I'm a sick person, but I welcome the pain and depression. My emotions were hidden and numbed for so long, I was just prolonging and adding to the pain. I listen to music, it's really great therapy. I'm on Day 13 and I'm still hiding from everyone. I've been making appearances here and there, but I'm still not quite ready. I think we deserve time to recover, just like injured people in a hospital. Congratulations on 7 days, you made one week!!!!!! Hang in there, this too, shall pass.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for posting. Yes, everything surfes like a wild banshee. I feel like my whole life has been a wild roller coaster and somthing grabbed me by the neck and threw me off the ride and I just hit ground. I'm not sure what to do next. It's like I'm standing on quick sand slowly sinking. Yuck, yuck. I will tell you..... it does feel BETTER than a hangover!!!! Anything feels better than a nasty hangover.

Must keep breathing...
Old 07-31-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yes, breathing is highly recommended. As an ongoing practice.

It isn't unusual to feel sort of a boomerang effect when you first stop drinking. It's temporary. Your body and brain are very confused because you aren't providing the "medicine" they have come to expect--on demand.

The physical effects of quitting drinking will start to subside soon. This is a good time to be going to lots of meetings, to pick up extra doses of HOPE.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wow

Welcome

It was certainly normal for me - alcohol was a huge part of my life, so my life completely changed. That was much of the first month for me.

If you're really worried about it, or if you think it's going on too long, please see a Dr or counsellor tho, ok?

D
Old 07-31-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Balou View Post
Ditto Ditto Ditto, I have a blog I wrote similiar to yours. Plus I read new threads on here everyday about depression. Maybe I'm a sick person, but I welcome the pain and depression. My emotions were hidden and numbed for so long, I was just prolonging and adding to the pain. I listen to music, it's really great therapy. I'm on Day 13 and I'm still hiding from everyone. I've been making appearances here and there, but I'm still not quite ready. I think we deserve time to recover, just like injured people in a hospital. Congratulations on 7 days, you made one week!!!!!! Hang in there, this too, shall pass.
Congrats on the clean time Balou. I was addicted to opiates for a little less than 10 years. When I stopped using I was an emotional wreck. I cried for weeks. On and Off ofcourse. And the way I see it is, 10 years into the woods, a year and a half to get out. That's pretty good. I'm proud of you Balou. Hang in there, and you do deserve the time to get well. When I first stopped doing drugs, I referred to myself as in critical care. I needed to be gentle and kind with myself. I needed a healing. Be good to yourself, and be proud of yourself. :ghug3
Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Wow -

You will hear it a lot on this site that "alcohol was our solution to our problems". Therefore, when we stop drinking, we need to find a new solution to our problems.

Often times, our fear, anxiety, anger, depression, etc. was (is) our problem. So, we need to work on that. The alcohol was just anesthetic to numb us so we didn't have to face those problems, but taking a drink never fixed the problems, only delayed them (and often made them worse).

That is why you will hear us say that "you must do a program of recovery". The program (whatever one you find most useful to you) will (a) help you stop drinking, and (b) help you learn how to live a basically happy life without drinking.

For me, it is AA + SR + working with other alcoholics.

What you are feeling is normal, but you need to do something about it. That is where a recovery programs comes in.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats Wow and glad you are here. I too felt so many emotions in those first few weeks and definitely still working on them now. Getting sober for me felt like being tossed into the ocean. I was awake but confused and not sure what to do. The crutch was gone and I thank everyday for my sobriety but I felt like I wanted to do so much immediately and I had so many conflicting thoughts about things.

I too more or less shut everyone out. I had to get myself together and I didn't want to talk to anyone nor did I make any rash decisions. My focus was purely on not drinking and getting through each day. Every day it got a bit better and I just spent my time focusing on me. Learning to live each day sober was my goal so I spent most of my time on SR and working counseling.

As others have said....if you are concerned then definitely reach out to your Dr.

Way to go and keep sharing the journey my friend.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! What is SR?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

SR is this site...Sober Recovery.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

HAHAHAH. This one; this site I found 8 days ago when I hit bottom. HAHAHHA. Funny