Notices

Newbie, here's my first post

Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Balaou - how do I get to a meeting on this site. Sorry I'm new I don't know how yet. thx
Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

The meetings are in the Chat Room and here is the schedule:

Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 07-31-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

"you would not be the first person to go to a meeting the day after drinking:-)"
Heck; My first sponsor sponsor drug me to a meeting trashed (me not him). If you can try 90 in 90 and get a sponsor asap, and see what you think.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR cokat

I hope we've sorted out a few things for you...we're open to anyone who's into recovery, not just AA, but we sometimes have chat step meetings here - check the link Anna gave you

look forward to seeing you around some more!
D
Old 07-31-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Glad you could take it with a smile Cokat, it was made in fun. Sometimes at meetings when I speak I'll mention, I use to belong to places like the Elks, Moose Lodge, VFW and places of that nature. Had to pay yearly dues and the only requirement is to drink and get drunk.

AA doesn't ask for you to pay anything and the only requirement is the desire to stop drinking.

Why would it be such a hard decision, look at all the money I'll save by going to AA.

Cokat, I know of a few people who are alcoholics that only drank on the weekends. But they still had the same problem as I did, one drink was never enough and always got drunk and at times had blackouts. And those are the similarities. All that is needed.

I'm allergic to alcohol, everytime I take a drink I break out into a drunk.(:-0)

Take care and God bless.

Harry
Old 07-31-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cokat!

You found the right place for support with the drinking. I wasn't a weekend drinker like you but in reality was a 24/7 drinker (when I wasn't passed out or trying to work).

You're right, if you can keep yourself occupied with meetings on the weekends, you'll have this disease licked in no time.

Glad you're here!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

welcome Cokat. There are people here who can guide you around the site better than I can...

In AA's program of recovery, we never say "I'm going to quit drinking." We admit that we are powerless over alcohol-- that over and over and over again, the promises we made to not drink, to drink less, to drink only wine and beer, to not drink during the week-- were broken.

It's not about discipline for me. It's about completely surrendering to the fact that I can not drink like a normal person, and therefore must take steps to relieve myself of the obsession to drink.

If you are an alcoholic, your natural state is drinking. It's abnormal, in a way of thinking, to NOT drink. This may seem a bit bizarre and over-stated, but I find it a good way to think about just how chronic and difficult the disease is.

You aren't weak, you aren't bad. If are alcoholic, you have a chronic, relapsing disease. You have a responsibility to yourself, those you love and society to seek the remedy for it.

Be open to new ideas. If you're like me, your old ones got you here.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
AA is short for "Alcoholics Anonymous," which is for alcoholics or people who want to quit drinking.

Al-Anon is a group for families and friends of alcoholics (who may or may not be in AA). Living with an active alcoholic (or even one in recovery, lol) affects family members in profound ways. Al-Anon does NOT tell people how to "get the alcoholic sober," but it does help to heal the damage that comes from living close to someone else's drinking.

They are unrelated organizations, but both use the twelve steps for recovery.
thanks for the info