Notices

stupid question

Old 07-29-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stupid question

but when exactly does a persons sobriety date start? The last day they used when they decided not to use anymore, or the first day of sobriety?

TIA
Old 07-29-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The usual date is the first day we're sober - for me that meant the first day I didn't drink

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-29-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NOT a stupid question. I have always gone by the first day I didn't drink. My counselor told me a couple of weeks ago it is usually the last day you use. I don't really care. one day off either way. . .
Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm counting from the day I poured 1.5 liters of wine down the drain instead of down my throat:-)
Old 07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good question... me and my counselor talked about this the other day... and she said that tuesday was my date...... i disagreed with her because i used tuesday.. so i think that my date is wed the 21st because it was my 1st day with out nuttin... goes to show there is no right or wrong answer... its how you feel about it yourself....the important thing is that you have a date........
good for you....
Jen
Old 07-29-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Being that it is a "sobriety date", I would have to say the first day sober...at least that's how I'm counting.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I count by the hours for the first 3 days, witch I think is important in dealing with withdrawl symptoms. After that I don't think it really matters. I've met some people that don't even count. Like me their main goal is not to make it to 1,5,30 years sober, they just want to get to the point of being both sober and happy.

Personaly, I stoped on a monday at 3:00am, and the next tuesday I considered myself sober 1 day and working on day #2. I'm presently 24days sober, working on day #25.

Dune.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

First day I didn't drink/use..
Old 07-29-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm going to count this as day 2. Technically I did use yesterday, but it was the day befores drinking/usage flowing over into yesterday (if you know what I mean) and I stopped early in the wee hours yesterday morning and decided to get sober, which means that yesterday evening I was sober for a change. So even though yesterday was my last day of usage, it was also my first day of sobriety, if that makes sense.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Another vote for first full day of no use. To me it makes sense that is should be totally out of the system.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I count from the day of my last drink. On the theory that we celebrate our birthdays from the day we were born, not the first full day we stayed alive.

I don't think it matters one bit. The only day that really counts is today.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been wondering, like Dune, when we stop counting? In early days I think its a great relief and sense of accomplishment, but when do most people stop?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I stopped counting days around 60 I think - it was easier to count months then...and now years.

In the beginning it was important for me to keep track and feel proud of my achievement...I hoped my day one really was the start of a new life.

Then, as I moved on to fixing up the other bits of my life and actually starting living something like a life again, counting became progressively less important to me.

It's up to the individual again I guess
D
Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I use my last drink date - as does everyone I know in AA around me (not necessarily everyone in AA does it this way though). Dr Bob celebrated his last drink date, that's what was passed down my line of sponsorship from him, so that's what I use.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

imho, like what one "labels" their problem, it's more important what you do than what you call it, so count from when you feel is best for you.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't even count exact dates. If I did it would be my first day of not drinking drugging. (Which I *think* is around the 20th of August so it will be 1 year for me soon!)

lol at saying I don't count dates then saying I do ..... I roughly count it to myself. I don't collect chips, keychanes or bookmarks or whatever
Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Question!

I count my sobriety date the first day of not drinking... 29 March. I drank on 28th. But for the smoking, I count from 14 January, smoked my last ciggy, actually had a little ritual going on there... at about 0930 in the morning. Don't know why the difference...

Come to think of it... I just completed 4 months the other day! Wow, that is the first time I wasn't "counting" the days, or months now.... I think that is kinda good. Means that it is not what is taking over all in my mind. The sobriety has become a "normal" part of me, not something I am fighting for or thinking about every second. Wow, that is good, proud of myself. Sobriety is who I am now.