Notices

How did you stumble onto SR (SoberRecovery)

Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

It's also free Thanks Aysha, I love that this site is free. It is so supportive and knowledgeable. And I am thankful for the moderators, administrators and greeters too. I hope they get paid for their time and effort. They deserve it. Any problem I have ever had on here has been resolved professionally and fast.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I was coming out of a mean bout of PTSD symptoms and active addiction as my dual treatments were becoming effective. I was once again interested in using my computer and going on the web. I was looking for some way to support my secular addiction recovery. I came across SMART and SR in my search. For a wile I would post on both but SR was way more interesting to me.

SR has helped me become more open to other recovery modalities. I actually attend AA meetings again mainly because of SR. I'm still resistant of certain recovery ideologies. Now I don't have such a hard time hearing or reading about them as I did in the past. That's due in large part because of a few SR members here. SR is a great place for me to practice new and better behaviors. Also the great majority of members here have offered important insights into addiction treatments that I would have hard pressed to have found out on my own.

SR
Old 07-30-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

A few years ago, I was involved in an abusive relationship, so I googled something along that lines, and BINGO!! I went away for awhile, and now I'm back!! love SR!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Finding this place is the best thing that's happened to me in years and years. For a month or more I would sit in bed in the evening with my laptop, drinking my wine/beer and read posts here (found SR by surfing around on the topic "alcoholism"). I checked out a few other forums, but they were nothing like this. I found the people here to be honest, devoted to their sobriety, and interested in talking to and helping others in an intelligent and compassionate way.

At the same time I was praying to WHOEVER's up there, that I would "want to want to" quit. I didn't really think I could do it - didn't know if I wanted to. But I did want to want to. So.............. it took a couple weeks, a few more binges and I was ready. I joined one night (drank to get up the nerve), made my first post, and as soon as I read the responses, I was in LOVE. Still am!

Wish I could list all the times and ways this place has helped me - it's just impossible.....
Old 07-31-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I found SR when I was at my rock bottom. Drinking heavily, sad, depressed and realizing I couldn't quit on my own and stay sober. I tried many times. My Mom died. She was my support system and my best friend. I was just so lost without her. Loved her more than anything in this world. I hid my drinking from everyone, ( or thought I did ) and knew she wouldn't want this for me.

I was a few days sober and googled AA and alcoholics and found this site. Joined SR and just kept reading when I wanted to drink. Little by little from everyones stories and struggles I gained the strength to stay sober for just one more hour ,than day, than week. Now on 2 months and couldn't have done it without all the great people here. I too, can't thank everyone enough. This is a special site and a Godsend to me.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I thought I was at my 'rock bottom', after being released from the hospital after my husband found me drunk off my ass at noon on a Sunday and ultimately unresponsive. So I found SR out of desperation for support literally hours after coming home. Unfortunately, I strayed away from all support soon after (3 weeks) and drank again.. and almost lost everything.. Been back ever since, been sober for going on 20 months now.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I was three days into my first-ever attempt to quit drinking, and I did a simple Google search for terms having to do with sobriety and recovery. This forum quickly presented itself to me and being a person who likes topic-based forums, I decided to register and spill my guts. And so started my recovery and my membership here on SR. Almost two years and 693 posts later, I have learned much and most importantly, I quit drinking!!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I have been sober for 2+ years, but I have bouts of extreme unhappiness with being sober. I tend to fantasize that my life was better when I was drunk (it wasn't, by the way). I did a google search with the terms "sobriety + unhappy" and found SR. I saw a bunch of people who really seemed okay with being sober. I figured I couldn't do any worse than to hang out for a while and see if the folks here could help me be okay with being sober.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I actually am starting a blog about recovery and thought I would do some research on the net first.

For VERY GOOD reasons, SB has now become more than a research project. I have come home.

My blog will launch by end of September at very latest and will keep you guys informed of the "opening day"
Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

It's nice to see people posting from all over the world. The site represents people from many different countries, and although people may come from varying cultures, we still have similar problems.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Balou View Post
It's nice to see people posting from all over the world. The site represents people from many different countries, and although people may come from varying cultures, we still have similar problems.

That's because we are more alike, than different. We are all human.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

It was a dark and stormy night (actually day and the dark strom was inside my head). I was walking the line between between nicely buzzd and blitzed while surfing the I-Net. Decided I might have a drinking problem, google online alcohol treatment (or something similiar), and logged on. Logged on regularly for a couple months, did some AA. Decided in my insanity that everyone here and in AA was really screwed up and that i was normal. Went on a three year emmmm.... Sabatical; and came back early august 09. You can pick your own bottom, then the work begins.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

I lurked for a long time and realized how many people were walking in my shoes...I was sad, desperate, and angry. So I started posting, and I haven't looked back. I have found a place of learning, sharing, and acceptance. I am learning to apply what I am learning here to other facets of my life. And I feel better off for it.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I was reading an article about Dr Drew and his next Celebrity show around 2 wks ago. To the right of the story was something about SR. Clicked on it and started Lurking as a guest.
I just registered today.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

On day 2 of being sober I realized I wasn't going to make it all on my own, that some big things had to change besides just not drinking. I did some google searching about help for getting/staying sober and found you guys.

It felt SO strange posting for the first time, I guess because I had never acknowledged my drinking problem to anyone but myself and my husband, but now it feels totally natural to be here.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
OSSSU!

I have never been romantically involved with an full blown raging alcoholic in my life (while clean and sober) until this past February....he held it together for a couple months so I had no clue how bad he really was...then he couldn't manage to hold it together any longer, but it was too late, I was already involved....confused....hurt....baffled....So I would just type my silly questions into Google and it led me to SR all the time....I lurked for a couple months and then finally registered.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:23 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I spent years living a life that made me miserable. I was partially in denial of a problem then towards the end I was ashamed and embarrassed to reach for help.

Finally when I realized that I couldn't keep beating down the same old doors.....I searched alcoholism support online. I had a few days sober time whiteknuckling it and said to myself....here is your starting line....now lets learn more to stay sober.

SR was one of the first that popped up and I came and lurked around a few days reading threads. I realized that I wasn't some unique case but this alcoholic bag was shared by many. The more I read.....the more I said....Holy Sh!t that is ME!!!! They feel the same exact way I feel.

I created my account.....opened my heart.....got positive support and well that was in January. I thought after some time that I was good to go and stopped coming to SR until that wonderful relapse happened in April. I came back again....scared, ashamed but with a strong belief that folks here would understand. I wanted to get it right and SR embraced me and encouraged me. No belittling, told you so, nothing negative but pure strong support for me to rise and do it again.

Here i am now....So glad SR was at the top of my search. No other site provided me with the real life (non clinical) experiences of alcoholism and recovery.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

BTW.....Since SR is anonymous and virtual and available 24/7 I felt so much more inclined to share and really open up. By coming here.....I found the courage to actually get face to face counseling. SR really helped me find the courage to get help.