Notices

Advice needed.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I weigh in with Eddie on this one. His suggestions seem pretty good to me. I think it's great for you to get back into music- the only question is when- that is so not to jeopardize your recovery. Even after a year of sobriety, your body still may have some influence over your mind. Just remember, your bod probably has a strong association of jam sessions with booze and the bod is still likely to have some of its old yearnings. So if you want to get back in the pool, as they say, maybe you'd best wade in at the shallow end- and be extra careful as Eddie says.

Wpainterw
Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey, can I add a P.S. to my last post? I was thinking this over a bit and one of the things that occurred to me is that, although I've racked up some sobriety mileage, one of the things I have to watch very carefully is not to catch a whiff of the booze. If that happens to hit me it's like an old racehorse catching a smell of the track. I've got to rein myself in very fast or I might be off and running. And then I thought of one of my favorite movies, "The Blue's Brothers" where they're doing a gig in some saloon pretending to be the "Good Ole Boys" and the crowd gets angry and starts throwing beer bottles against the chicken wire. That must have smelled up the joint real bad!
So what to do? All I could think of is that you might consider using some very powerful after shave lotion or antiperspirant!

Wpainterw
Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I thought of one of my favorite movies, "The Blue's Brothers" where they're doing a gig in some saloon pretending to be the "Good Ole Boys" and the crowd gets angry and starts throwing beer bottles against the chicken wire.
I always wondered how those longnecks shattered in a million pieces just from impacting some sloppy chicken wire! Sorry, I'm off topic..
Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Neo..

I would say it is worth a try. You obviously have a gift and a talent. Let it come out now...you'll know what to do when tough times come..if they do.

Blessings!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

NEO, you know I have total faith in you. I have gone through that stage thinking how it was going to be doing the same things as I did before minus the drinking. I've blown my mind.

Now, I know this is a poor example when talking about playing "real" music, but for me, GUITAR HERO!!!! All of my other friends had and would be slinging back beers, me? Red Bulls, water, Diet Cokes, and having a blast!!! I'll take the microphone, do the drums, guitar and/or bass, and I have fun, fun, fun!!!!!!! I really thought I'd be a total poop about the whole thing and I ended up outlasting some of my friends because they drank too much and couldn't hang. Hee hee hee.........

Mind you I don't hang out with everyone all the time because alcohol for my friends is still a big part of socializing for them, but I've found that I have just as much fun.

Same goes for festivals that I've been to, going out to eat, and recently even dating! WOO HOO NEO!!!!! I'm having tons of fun sober that I used to be frightened I wouldn't be able to do, I'd fail myself, or just wouldn't have as much fun.

I think I know where your heads at, and you've got such a great outlook and attitude. Go for it, and in the meantime, take baby steps into it, there's no rush, but I bet you'll find that you don't need or want that drink as much as you think. Good luck my friend, and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!