Notices

Should I help a friend? I don't know what to do....

Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I help a friend? I don't know what to do....

I'm only 20 days sober. And when I decided to get sober, or rather the day before I decided to get sober I had it out with a very good friend I've known for over 10 years. We were inseperable, but I couldn't handle her talking about me behind my back and 'calling the kettle black'. I decided to end our friendship. We still interact weekly because of our mutual outing, same shared friends, same softball team, ect. I have heard and seen that she is suffering in her own life, alcohol is a huge factor in that. I feel guilty for not being there for her in her time of need.... The debate I'm fighting in my head is that I don't want to hinder my recovery by giving to others what I must first give myself. That's how I ended up where I am today, an alcoholic.

What should I do? Turn a blind eye? Be the friend that I would want to be there for me if I were her? I don't know what to do?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may sound selfish jmf7dd but you're doing the best thing by staying away.
I can;t count the number of times I was pulled back into the maelstrom by friends...

If your friend wants recovery she will find it. It's not your job to find it for her.

In time, you may be able to offer her guidance and advice when you know what you're doing yourself - but for now, stick your own struggle.

D
Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, right now you need to put all your energy into your own recovery. I hope that somewhere down the road she will come to you for advice. I know when I decided to get well, I went to the only person I know in recovery.

Congrats on 20 days.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Some of the best "help" we can be is the shiniest brightest example of how great permanent recovery can be. You can't make her mind up and you can't do the work for her.

Remember that old saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. What you can do is make that horse thirsty though......and show it how good the water tastes.

You ARE helping...a lot....already.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

agreed with those above , and leading by example ... since you are seen in the same circle of friends and places , her seeing your recovery is a good thing , it mite send her to seek help and get some of what you got . I know seeing others around me was a great help in getting what that had . SO stick with what your doing and another thing you can do for her is ( if you do so ) pray that she finds strength to get help for her self ... congrats on your sober time ~ huggles Endzy ~