Notices

Realization....

Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realization....

I came to a realization this weekend. I have been binge drinking for a month now, since I ended an extremely controlling relationship. I would still be drinking today but I had a run in with johnny law on friday. As many would know, its always a sobering experience (temporarily). I got cited for a MIC and open container. I don't remember any of it, bringing the beer in the car, or letting my friend drive (who got an extreme DUI). AZ takes these kind of charges pretty seriously. It made me stop drinking...for now....its only been 2 days.

I have an extremely addictive personality. No matter what it is, I obsess about it and do it too much. Every time I quit one thing, I turn to another. I just want to stay sober and not find a new drug like every other time.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi iminhere

I know what you mean - I went from drug to drug and then drink...we have to get right out of the amusement park, not just change rides....

You'll find a lot of support here

Welcome
D
Old 07-25-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, iminhere - Sorry to hear about your troubles. Alcohol can really create havoc, can't it? I'm not sure what an MIC is, but I get the picture. I can relate to the addictive thing for sure - it took some consequences for me to realize I also needed to leave alcohol alone.

Keep reading and posting. We know what you're going through.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome iminhere. We are all here to support one another so hang around, this is one great place with tons of support! x
Old 07-25-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MIC = minor in consumption

I only have a few months before I turn 21 but maybe this was the kick in the butt that I needed?? who knows.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that fear can be a good starting off point. Fear over health issues finally gave me the last push I needed to begin recovery. The thing with the fear though, is that it does ease up and it's not likely to be as effective a deterrent in the future. That's when the tools that you learn in recovery need to be used. I also have an obsessive and addictive personality and finding peace in my life was hugely important to me.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing for sure, alcohol is going to continue putting you in undesirable situations and it's worse every time. I hope you decide you want to be in control, not let alcohol or drugs control you..it makes life miserable and it passes very quickly leaving few good memories.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iminhere View Post

I have an extremely addictive personality. No matter what it is, I obsess about it and do it too much. Every time I quit one thing, I turn to another. I just want to stay sober and not find a new drug like every other time.
Iminhere,

I can relate to the "extremely addictive personality " ; and the "obsessiveness".

I've often wondered and come to believe many people can use this to their advantage by channeling it in a direction they find fascinating, (interesting at least) that is naturally more healthy for them; something like a "progressive ideal " ....for you personally, anyway. [examples; studies of interest, skills, art, music, sports, etc, etc )

Drinking and drugging only hampered any of that for me. It was the old "lets get on our work clothes and talk (fantasize)about it " behaivor that repeated itself until I stopped denying how totally unproductive "getting wasted" had become. Hope you don't have to waste all the time I did to finally "get it "

Welcome to SR, ....you'll find a lot of tools and support here to "stay quit" ....

I like Dees' metaphor about leaving the amusement park, ...not just changing rides, ...lo

peace