Notices

New to Most

Old 07-25-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Most

Hi SoberRecovery Community. My name is Harry and I live in Lowell, Massachusetss. I am not actually new to this forum or to recovery. I had spent sometime here reading and posting on these boards a few years back.

I am presently 9 and 1/2 years clean and sober. My situation is that my wife has physical problems so I have made a decision to spend more time at home to be there for her and to help out. By doing so I will no longer be going to f2f meetings and know that I will need help from different sources now. So I will be visiting recovery sites, staying in touch with my sponsor and my sponsee and depending and relying on God, as I have been throughout my recovery.

So I'm here to read and listen to learn, as well as help others where ever I can with my own experience, strength and hope.

God bless all of you for being here for all of us.

Harry
Old 07-25-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks harry. this whole admitting i have a problem and actually trying to work on it is new to me...so ill definitely keep an open ear to anything you have to say.

day 2 coming round the bend...
Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great to meet you, Harry! Congratulations on your sobriety - that's quite an achievement. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your experience, strength and hope. Sorry to hear about your wife having health problems. Glad you are here, though!
Old 07-25-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Harry

I must say you are an Inspiration to us all. Sorry about your wife, she is lucky to have you around. Well Done on your 9 plus years, you have come a very long way! x
Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back ((Harry))!!

I'm sorry to hear about your wife, but very glad that you are reaching out for support. SR has been a huge part of my recovery, and it's nice having someone here 24/7

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

MrSerious, glad to see you here reaching out for help. My experience with this forum before was great. A lot of people here that we can learn from and all willing to help. I learned not to be afraid to ask questions and shared with others here, about myself, what I felt comfortable with.

Going to AA meetings helped me a lot also. Getting a sponsor was one of my better moves. I needed a lot of help with direction and I was blessed to have a sponsor and other people in my life that shared what worked for them.

Keep coming MrSerious and hope to hear more from you also.

Thanks to the welcomes from the rest of you. And thank you for your concerns about my wife. I know I can't fix her or cure her from the pain, but I can be here for when she needs me and do whatever I can to help out. Something that I learned through the program, "think of self less and others more."

God bless all of you,

Harry
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great to have you here Harry. Best wishes for your wife.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks harry... its nice to here things like this... i m also new to site... i am trying to get into a 28 day today and am going on to a year program after that..... i have been on and off for the last 10 11 years... way more on.. then off... i thnk i had about a year clean in that time..... but i relize now i was not really clean.... i just got by somehow..... i relapsed long long before i ever picked the pills up again.... i never was doing the stuff i was suppose to be doing....
now for the 1st time ever i want this for me... and not for all my loved ones....not that i dont wanty it for them.... its just i never wanted it... i believe now that is why it never worked.... now i want it more then anything... but i no its going to be a very hard...long road... that is why i feel it is best for me at this time to be in a inpatient program.....
thanks for sharing... reading stiff like this really does help me
Thanks
Jen
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Harry!

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's health problems, but it's good to hear that you are helping out at home. I look forward to seeing more of you around SR.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

Sorry to hear about your wife, I am from down the road on 495 on the North Shore, moved overseas 4 months ago. Just reading "Lowell" made me think of home. I used to drive up next door to you in Lawrence for a meeting occasionally.

Welcome to the online community, nice place here, and thank you for posting. It let me know that a change in meeting routines or even the delivery medium of the transmission line does not mean an end to our sobriety or interaction with others.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Harry,
Glad to see you here also!!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry to know of your wife's health problems Harry
I'm certain your recovery years will beneficial as
you do whatever is needed for her comfort.....

Blesings to both of you
Welcome back Harry....
Old 07-27-2010, 01:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to have you with us Harry
Welcome!

D
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Harry,

Welcome back to SR. Your wife is blessed to have a husband who would make such changes to help her at this time.

God is with you both - but you already know that.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Harry and glad to have you with us.

So sorry to hear about your wife.

Look forward to learning from you and sharing experiences.

God Bless - Kim
Old 07-27-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank all of you for your best wishes and blessings. Means a lot to me for I know I have the support I need here in this forum. I miss going to meetings and I miss all my friends in my homegroup, they are great people, like family to me. As I have mentioned, I will stay in contact with my sponsor and a few other friends and I still have a sponsee who has become a friend also.

Just because I stopped going to meetings, doesn't mean I need to stop my recovery. Without God, my sponsor, sponsee and my friends I have made over the years, and now you people, I know I will never be alone and none of this is possible.

Over the last 9 and a half years, God has really blessed me with people He has put in my life and the places He has brought me. This place to be included.

I have to admit, I am amazed and overwhelmed with what I have been reading in a lot of these posts here. I have been to a few other forums and they are nothing like this place. The experience I have read in posts here is truly better than what I expected. The care for one another and the willingness to help others is something you people can really be proud of. A lot of people here are very knowledgeable about the Steps to Recovery and sharing that knowledge is grately appreciated by many who are new to all of this. As I am grateful myself.

I am glad to know that I am still teachable and very, very glad to know that "I don't know everything." Still a lot for me to learn, and I am willing to listen with an openmind.

I am grateful to God for that intuitive thought to look for on-line-help.

I have a good feeling about being here and glad I found SoberRecovery still here.

God bless all of you.

Harry
Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, Harry!

I look forward to reading your experience, strength, and hope. I'm sure you have a lot to share.