Notices

Hey

Old 07-25-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey

Just registered here. Figured I'd say hello.

I've been overdoing it with my drinking for about 3 years now. Started getting drunk daily as soon as I turned 21 back in 2008. And, of course, I continually increased my alcohol intake and eventually lost my job (not to say it was a very good job, anyhow). I'd bring in a small bottle of whiskey to get me through the shift and eventually the rumors started about the alcohol on my breath and all that. Then I accidently slept through a morning shift after a heavy night of drinking.

I've been having some wake up calls, notably the seizure I had this morning. Withdrawals are no joke. When I came to, I asked my own father, "who are you?" He'd witnessed the whole thing. I didn't recognize him. When I eventually regained my senses, I was alright.

I've done my best to cut down my drinking (well, being too broke to by a bottle helps, too). I got down to a six pack a day. But I can't sleep sober. So I was up all night tossing and turning in bed, couldn't get comfortable, couldnt relax. It feels like even just laying down is exhausting. And if I'd had some alcohol, I surely would've drank in. Then came the shakes. Then came the seizure. Then the vomit.

Well, I'm sober. I'm in a pretty scary place right now. My folks want me to go to detox, not wanting to watch that happen to me again. I've had some pretty awful hospital experiences, kind of an irrational hatred of the place. I know I'm being foolish, but I'm just hoping that I'll come out of this OK. I'm hoping that won't happen again ...
Old 07-25-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds very scary and I agree with your parents. Please go to an ER or a detox centre or talk to your dr. Clearly this can be very dangerous.

I'm glad that you have decided to stop drinking, and we do understand how hard it is to make that decision.

Welcome!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Withdrawals can be scary and dangerous. If possible, it would be good to speak to a physician about coming off the alcohol. I've detoxed by myself and in a rehab facility, and doing it on my own was definitely worse.

You've found a good place for help and support. Lots of great people here with tons of experience and knowledge to share with you. Thanks for joining us.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Blackwater, I'm glad you are here and taking a positive step. Seizures are incredibly scary (my sister had epilepsy) so I can understand your parents not wanting to watch you go through another one. You might be able to get some medicine to help prevent them as you continue to detox.

As for the sleeping, or lack there of, I think that's pretty much standard protocol. The way I got through it was to remind myself, that I'd rather be awake and sober than passed out and drunk, because when it comes down to it, the sleep you get from drinking isn't real sleep at all.

The best advice I can give, regarding the discomfort of detox, is that it doesn't last forever, and when you get clear to the other side, you will feel so much better physically.

This is a great place to get advice and support. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

People don't realize it, but alcohol withdrawal can kill a person--unlike, say, withdrawal from heroin.

Please let your folks help. You are lucky to have them there to help you.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=LexieCat;2661105]People don't realize it, but alcohol withdrawal can kill a person--unlike, say, withdrawal from heroin.

QUOTE]

In fact, alcohol withdrawl is more deadly than almost any other. Please get help and make sure you stay hydrated in the meantime.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please listen to your parents....it's simply too dangerous
for you to de tox without medical assistance.

Welcome....
Old 07-25-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey blackwaterpark

I'm gonna agree with everyone else here - I'm still suffering the legacies of my last unassisted detox in 07...and I always will.

Most people come through ok...but it's not something to fool around with.

Please do listen to your folks.

D
Old 07-25-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Blackwaterpark))) - I've got to chime in with everyone else here. Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. When you have a seizure, your brain literally goes without oxygen for that time period.
I was a nurse before my own addiction took that career away, but I know that alcohol withdrawal is no joke.

PLEASE get help. We're here for you, but I really think you need professional help.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the responses. It helps to hear from other people that understand what this is like.

I'm thinking of making an appointment with my old psychiatrist to see if he can prescribe me something for the withdrawals. I've had some bad experiences at hospitals so I'm still pretty iffy about that option. Last time I quit drinking I was prescribed Ativan and that helped me through.

It's been almost 24 hours now since my last beer. I'm feeling a lot better than I was this morning, although I still haven't really slept in about a day and a half. But there's no shakes, no paranoia or major anxiety, and not really much nausea. Hopefully I've seen the worst of this. I'll probably call up the doc tomorrow. If things get bad again, I guess I'll have to go to the hospital, unfortunately.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, bwp - definitely see a doctor ASAP if you are still suffering. They can give you something to help with sleep, too. Keep hanging in there and just take it a day or an hour at a time - each hour you stay sober will be another hour your body has to start healing.

Insomnia is really common during the first week or two, and though it's totally frustrating, it will get better. Glad your parents are there offering help. It was a little scary reading your post, and I'm sure they only want the very very best for you. Keep reading and posting if you can, and good job for having 24 hours under your belt.