Notices

Couldn't make it longer then two weeks

Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Couldn't make it longer then two weeks

What disappointment! I lasted two weeks, felt great, everything looked promising, had some lifestyle changes and hoped for the best. That all lasted until Tuesday evening, I binged until Friday. I don't want to drink anymore, I'm just tired of this disease. Today is day 1 all over again
Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay strong. We all are in a fight. Keep pushing forward.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

So, what can you do differently this time to make it work?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's like two different people inside me. I lost control Tuesday evening and like a robot just went to the store to buy booze. I also had a date on Wednesday but I didn't bother showing up. It's crazy!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I felt exactly the same way, DP.... I even remember one part of me getting angry at the other part for grabbing the car keys and driving to the store. It's scary to think how little control we can have during those times.

I'm glad you're back here, though, and trying again. I'd say that it took me more than a couple weeks to get past those urges, so you may have to stay a little more focused on your sobriety this time (?)...... It helped me to come here everyday and just read to remind myself the what/why/where/how of this whole sober business.

After two months, sobriety really does seem to feel like my "normal" life and I can't imagine going back. You just need to keep hanging in there and get through those initial temptations - the more time you have away from the drink, the less it will haunt you.

Keep at it, my friend, - you can do it!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

"Hoping for the best" doesn't usually work out very well--even if you've made "lifestyle changes." This is an ADDICTION and addicts go back to their substance of choice, again and again. It's our default mode. We can do something else for awhile as a substitute (some of us can, anyway), but eventually we succumb again and again. No rhyme or reason to it, just because that's what we do when we are addicted.

You have to want it badly enough to work for it. You have to reinforce, constantly, that drinking is not an option. Being in a recovery program, such as AA, provides that constant reinforcement.

How bad do you want it?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
xuse

this sounds like me
Old 07-24-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many of us had several go rounds with alcohol
before we found our way to solid recovery...

I certainly hope you will win over alcohol soon.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the words of encouragement!
Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DP33496

Glad you're back with us.

There was a time when I thought making 2 weeks sober was pretty darn good...and other times when it seemed *impossible* to achieve, so it's in the eye of the beholder I guess.

There's some good advice here - look at what happened, and look at what it is you need to add to whatever your recovery programme is.

I think it's true to say if we're prepared to walk 10 miles for a drink we need to be prepared to go the equivalent of 11 not to.

There's a ton of advice support and encouragement here. Please use it

D
Old 07-24-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I felt exactly the same way, DP.... I even remember one part of me getting angry at the other part for grabbing the car keys and driving to the store. It's scary to think how little control we can have during those times.
Ahh the arguing with yourself...hate it. I would always be in the shower on weekday mornings doing that. Look dammit, were not stopping on the way to work and pounding 3 16oz beers, OK!? Then 10 minutes later, there I'd be..at the store.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There have been many times when 2 weeks would have been impossible to achieve so at least take some solace with that.

The person I know personally who has the best success at sobriety swears by meditation, and since it is a way to control your thoughts, that makes sense. Maybe give it a try?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are back. Learn from what happened and apply it. You got 2 weeks down so you have proven you can live without the bottle. You can do this so stay strong and get support.

I know I didn't get sober until I reached out with every bit of me for support.

We are here 24/7 and there is so much great info and experience. Keep it going!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

Hey DP,

Glad you are back... this time if you get the urge... log on here to SR and post something! At the very least, read through the forums until the urge passes. This is what helped me in the early weeks. Hope it can do the same for you this round!

Be strong!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello DP. 2 weeks wasnt for nothing, it is worth trying again and again and again if need be. Why dont you go to all the stores you bought drink out of and ask them not to serve booze to you now that you feel like trying sobriety again?
It would rule out the option of a short term decision to quit. I hear your pain, this addiction is more than just getting wasted and feeling ****** now and again, it is a whole lot more insane than that. You will have to remind yourself of this as it is the only reason I used to drink again and again....that I would forget the 95% of bad horrible times with drinking and remember only 5% of the gratifying part. Hope you have an easier day to day
Old 07-25-2010, 03:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wish I had a penny for every time I have done the same DP33496

I joined here in 2005 but I cant remember if I posted back then, all I know is that this time round I am so serious about not drinking! I have finally seen the light...

Gone are the days of getting so drunk I cant remember the night before, gone are the mornings of feeling Like Crap, I have got a Spring in my step now, I feel no Depression anymore, I love waking up as a Normal person, jumping in my car without dodgy Vision .

Keep trying and remember how good it makes you feel when your not drinking.
Its 16 days for me now and I am still counting...Go for it mate and the best of luck this time round...

You can do it...xx
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I relapsed over and over but never stopped trying to stay sober, and now have almost 8 months. If I can do it, so can you!