Notices

day 2.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 2.

New here as well, on day 2 and so far not too bad. Anxiety, sweats but my doc gave me something to calm me down to get through this.

This site has been VERY helpful in me making my decision to quit. I crashed my mountain bike into a parked car (drunk) and need 14,000$ of dental surgery because of my stupid mistake and behavior.

I figured it was time to quit, hooked up with an old buddy who's been sober for a few years and I'm going to my first meeting tonight in years. I'm nervous as hell because of the withdrawls (you've all been there) but I think i can do this this time.

I now have a family, and I never hit rock bottom but hitting that car woke me up big time, especially after I got the estimate to fix my knocked out teeth.

What a novel idea eh? Quit drinking, improve my life and save the money i would have spent on beer and take care of myself.

I always thought that "what? I'm a working man, we all drink beer after work" until it turned into an 18 pack a day habit for three years.

Horrible, progressive disease and I'm going to beat this sucker this time. I just hope I detox with minimal withdrawl symptoms and once i get past that, the real work begins.

Best of luck to all and wish me luck.
---------------------------------------------------------------

The ocean is my church.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck, and best wishes! Stay strong through the withdraw. . .it won't last too long!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR californiaguy

D
Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heres a "good for you" from Texas. I'm at 2.5 weeks, past the detox but still kind of moody. I feel so much better though, waking up with a clear head and still hands is priceless. I hope you can keep posting and stay away from the beer, that's my poison too. If I have that first one there better be at least 18 more. Sounds like you have some good tools already, the bike crash to remind you of the trouble it brings and the meeting tonite. Sorry about your teeth, ouch! I've hurt myself many times after getting bombed, it sucks. Hang in there, it gets better every day...good you went to the doc too, it's almost unbearable to detox w-out some sort of med.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey californiaguy

Welcome - youll find heaps of support here. I for one am amazed I still have all my teeth! At least theyre replaceable
Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have a good starting plan plus the good friend who is sober.

Come back and let us know how you are doing.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

big welcome to you, californiaguy! glad you're here.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome California! I'm glad you were on a bike instead of in a car!!! I've had my share o falls, I'm guessing we all have:-) good luck and keep us posted:-)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad your here, although the part about saving money doesn't apply to me. I seem to spend more money going to meetings, doing service work, H&I to different State prisons and jails. I'm so busy having fun that I just don't notice the money gone till the end of the month and bills are due. I didn't get sober to be boring and glum. I refuse to. Glad your with us and I hope to hear from you soon about that meeting. God Bless
Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm getting into daily meetings at AA and have made a promise to make 30 in 30 days. This is it. No more inconsistency and falling off the "wagon". Recovery is number 1. It's my decision to get well. Need support. Will get it at AA. Pacifica has meetings. People there will be a great support along with spending time here. Let's get well and be happy. We weren't put here to suffer endlessly.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome California guy!

You certainly came to the right place for support. So much to read and identify with here on the forums.
Be strong, you are in for the ride of your life!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congratulations on your decision to quit. Sounds like you have a great plan in place.

Hopefully, the withdrawals will be gone in few days. Eat well and drink lots of fluids.

I, too, wrecked my bike while drunk. Got hit by a car. Cop came, lucky I didn't get a DUI. I was so obviously drunk.
Didn't stop me from drinking, though. It took being sick and tired of being miserable, sick and tired.
Got almost seven months sober now. You can do it too!

Best wishes to you, it only gets better.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The Best of Luck CaliforniaGuy, Im a day ahead of you, on day 3, I would advise you to force yourself to eat something as the temptation is to go on an empty stomach, which will make your anxiety and depression worse. Well I hope you and your friend have a gud meeting and help each other along. It doesnt work if you try to go it alone.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi californiaguy and welcome! How was the meeting? Just wanted to add my support to all the others and tell you it really does get better once you get through the first few days. Glad you have a sober friend for support, too. Keep hanging in there and congratulations for making the decision to get your life back!