Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The urge/desire to drink can come out of nowhere - be ready for it

Notices

The urge/desire to drink can come out of nowhere - be ready for it

Old 07-23-2010, 04:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hang in there, least.

Originally Posted by least View Post
...but it came out of nowhere. Took me by surprise. I thought I was done with all that.

I've been wanting to get smashed for the past week because of the stress at work. I keep reminding myself that the feeling is normal...wanting to escape...and that everyone, whether having to deal with addiction or not, knows this feeling.

Some folks, when feeling this way, go for a walk or go to sleep. Maybe they exercise...or play practical jokes on someone.

I know the feeling passes. And I know that I can do something else rather than drink to deal with it.

When all else fails there's chocolate.

:ghug3
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Least, I know exactly what you are going through, except you decided to keep your sobriety and I chose to break mine over a terrible argument with one of my siblings.

Basically, one of my brothers was backstabbing me in my business even though I was happy to help him out financially - it was not good enough for him, he had to go further than that and threaten my livelihood.

I told him that if he did not stop I would threaten his livelihood. He did not stop and basically I pulled a few strings and he was out on his ear.

That caused two of my four other siblings to ignore me now....without giving a shxx about the fact that my brother had started all this.

I couldn't deal with the problem and so I relapsed after 2 years clean....

Family can be both a hugely positive and hugely negative influence on those of us in early recovery (yes, two years is still early recovery). Keep on writing your stuff Least, it is helping me learn how I should have dealt with my family issue.

Now I have burned my bridges, while you still have an open line of communication with your daughter, no matter how little you think that line is. trust me - its huge!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you all for caring. I woke up today feeling so glad I didn't give in to that little demon. It was never a 'real' option as I value my sobriety too much to throw it away on a whim, but it scared me that I could have 'those feelings' after so many months.

I will keep the lines of communication open with her the best I can and I WILL NOT give up my sober life for anything!

There's not much that can be done for her financially. She's just going to have to learn to live with it without taking it out on me or anyone else... and that's going to be her job, not mine. And if I can't be part of the solution I have to detach so as not to be part of the problem.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter how PO'd we get, it's no reason to pick up that drink. Although I had found myself in the same situation many times and say to myself "da*n! I picked a bad year to quit drinking."

But all in all, the alcohol will only numb yourself temporarily then you're back to square one with all the regrets. Instead, walk away from the situation and take deep breaths.

Least, you're a strong person not to go for that drink (as tempting as it was). Let us all be that strong!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
And if I can't be part of the solution I have to detach so as not to be part of the problem.
Thats an amazing truth!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sometimes Least ,the people we love more than life itself can hurt us the most. I found this out the hard way. I don't think they mean to. Could be immaturity , could be the fact that we never set the boundaries . While drinking we feel so bad about ourselves we tend to let them get away with disrespect etc. They pick up on this and it becomes "normal" to say and do hurtful things.

My husband called yesterday all sweet to talk over divorce issues. As soon as I disagreed the name calling, yelling and insults flew. I would often drink to drown out the bullying. WHEN THIS STARTED MY FIRST THOUGHT WAS TO DRINK. I'm going on 2 months and this surprised me too! I was walking around in circles, pacing didn't know what to do. Finally went and filled a glass with ice and poured in my apple juice. This seemed to settle me down but it was close. He then threatened to make sure I'd get nothing.......told him to give it his best shot and hung up the phone. We don't need to tolerate bad behavior from anyone. Be it Husbands, family, children, or so called friends.

Glad to hear you did the right thing. We must protect our sobriety first and foremost. Set boundaries and demand the respect we deserve. Sounds like your daughter is frustrated and took it out on you. I know as a Mom this is hurtful but she's young . So give her a little slack this time, but I would discuss the issues with her when everyone is calm. Just my thoughts.