Notices

25 days Sober

Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25 days Sober

Morning All,

25 days sober!! Feels crazy never thought this would be me!! My eyes are still dull but I am not letting this get me down as much now. After 6 years of 2 bottles of wine every single day I guess they are entitled to be grey!

I go on holiday for 2 weeks on Wednesday and instead of looking forward to it I am dreading it! Scared like hell I will end up caving in! I really am going to have to do this one day at a time or I doubt I'll make it.

I hope Grace is doing ok on her holiday - have been thinking about her.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have done really well, I hope your Hols don't ruin your good work. I am going on holiday soon and I am adamant I will not drink otherwise I will be back right where I was...Depressed, Lazy, Looking and feeling Like Crap. I CANT go back to that..

Take one day at a time, imagine that feeling when you get out of your bed on a morning feeling Fresh as a Daisy and out into the Fresh air..WOW, you cant beat it!

Good Luck to you and enjoy your Hols even more so without a Drink!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can make it! Im new here but Im finding that keeping myself busy has helped a ton. Just like you said, one day at a time.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Almay,

It is a little unsettling to look forward to a vacation but dread it at the same time. Congrats on 25 days! Dig deep and pull out that inner strength. Just like when you first started your journey. I'm sure all will go well and you'll have a fabulous time. Enjoy yourself!! Looking forward to your safe return.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 25 days sober! I hopy your holiday goes well and that you can stay sober.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations Almay777 - 25 days!

Do you have a plan on how to deal with challenges on your holidays? Will you be surrounded by alcohol? If so, is there a safe place you can go to get away from temptation if the urges get to be too much?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Hi Almay, awesome news, 25 days!! I am sure u will manage your holidays just fine, concentrate on having fun with your boy. I have also been thinking of Grace, i am sure she has been strong, things were going so well before she left. Keep posting. Have a wonderful break, remember beauty comes from within!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Almay congratulations on 25 days. I remember when you started and how you persevered. I also went on holiday in the bush while I was fairly new in sobriety, and it was one of the best holidays ever, waking up without a hangover, hearing the birds, taking better photographs, just being with nature. People offered me beer and wine and a host of other drinks at the fireside but the soft drinks tasted fine. Sobriety, I have found, is all about quality of life, and if you remember that, you'll be fine.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Almay

Just keep doing what you have been doing...day by day...if we're truly committed ad doing all we can to stay sober and reaching out, then I believe nothing can change that

Check in when you can
D
Old 07-19-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations Almay!!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 25 days! Your 11 days ahead of me, and your going on vacation (I'm so jellous!). When I was having a good time or enjoying myself I always had to combine that with drinking. For me, seperating the two is very difficult. When I'm doing something fun nowdays, I try to focus on enjoying the moment, and not what it would be like if I was drinking at the same time.

I'm not planning a trip anytime soon, but I think I'm going to be twice as scared as you are right now. Pleas keep us posed on how it goes, I could use all the advice and tips everyone post here. I hope you really enjoy yourself.

Have fun,
Dune
Old 07-20-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 25 days Almay!! There will come a day when you will look forward to your holidays, but the first trick is to get through the first one. The firsts will come and go and if you manage to get through them you will build your strength. Have a plan and stick to that 24 hour plan. Its a good one. Find some gratitude each day too if you can. It helps.

Originally Posted by almay777 View Post
Morning All,

25 days sober!! Feels crazy never thought this would be me!! My eyes are still dull but I am not letting this get me down as much now. After 6 years of 2 bottles of wine every single day I guess they are entitled to be grey!

I go on holiday for 2 weeks on Wednesday and instead of looking forward to it I am dreading it! Scared like hell I will end up caving in! I really am going to have to do this one day at a time or I doubt I'll make it.

I hope Grace is doing ok on her holiday - have been thinking about her.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Almay! Will you be checking in while you are on holiday??
Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

25 days, thats great. I bet you feel proud, you should. A little vacation getaway is something I plan on arranging when I get to 30 days. I want to prove to myself I can do it w-out getting wasted. Those little victories are priceless!! Good luck, have a good one!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Keep up the good work Almay...congrats on 25 days!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go, Almay!! It IS scary, but I'm finding that each time I do something sober, it's easier the next time. Just remember to take it one day at a time. More often than not, the reality isn't nearly as bad as my fears about it.

You deserve to have a nice sober holiday!! Stay busy taking pictures, and have some sobriety-related reading material (or a journal) handy.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great Job!! I understand the concern about the Holiday, I have a cruise coming up with less time than you. I know that I am with people that can drink just one though so I have to make a plan!!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 25 days, Almay!

There were times in early sobriety where it wasn't just a day at a time; it was an hour at a time. Whatever it takes is what it takes until it becomes your new normal.

Make plans to not let the down time of a holiday be a trigger for you. Fill it with activities, bring some good recovery reading books with you (my favorite, a paperback, Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp).

Print out your posts or those you relate to that describe how awful detoxing was; how much that daily wine controlled you and its negative impact on your life, also think about bringing positive progress posts; anything as reinforcement to keep you on your path.

Of course, SR will be here...24/7. Enjoy and safe travels!