Notices

New to the site

Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site

Hello everyone. There are 2 reasons I am here. First, I drink too much and need to get back in control. I have tried AA before, but it was not a success. I found success by going to a counsler, which I plan on doing this week. My 2nd reason for joining this board is the main reason I need to refocus and take control of my life.
My 2nd reason is my wife. She has an addiction to prescription drugs, and 3 nights ago was involuntarely admitted to an inpatient treatment facility. We had been fighting over her abuse of painpills, mixing them with high amounts of alcohol. At one point she started breaking things in the house, she was out of control. I had to make a tough decision and call the police. She left the house and was brought back by an officer. I let her come back, but 15 minutes later I had to call the police again when she started breaking more things. She has never acted out this way before, we've been married 3 years, dated 7 years. She left the house again, but was picked up 2 hours later and taken to the hospital. The hospital had her transported to the treatment facility.
She went through an outpatient program in Feb of this year. She did wonderful, but soon went back to the pills when she got back involved with her old group of co-workers. She then started doctor shopping, one doctor prescribed her Methadone and Xanex together. He was the first dr to drop her when she wanted different pain pills, she has never given me a clear explanation on it.
I am scared to death for her, but know she is in the right place. I have the support of her family too. She says she's going to leave me as soon as she gets out for doing what I did. I know it's part of the withdrawls, but it still hurts.
Has anyone been in a similar situation that could help me through this? What signs should I be looking for to know when she starts to do better? What did you do to keep yourself from going crazy during this time?
Thank you for reading this and your advice is very welcome.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mwjns

You'll find a lot of support here for your problem

We have some Family and Friends forums here too that will be of great help to you in your situation with your wife.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Have you thought of AlAnon?
D
Old 07-18-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 07-18-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me. Do take a look at the Friends and Family forum. Lots of experience and good advice there from people who have been in your shoes.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, mwjms - Addiction makes such a mess in our lives.... I'm sorry to hear about your wife especially, but you're right that she's in a good place. She may have a totally different outlook on things once she gets clean, so don't project too far into the future.

I know you'll get alot of support from the Family and Friends forum. And we're here if you want to talk about your own drinking, too. :ghug3
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Mwjms)) - welcome to SR! I can relate to your situation. I'm a recovering crack addict and have loved ones who are still addicts.

I read and post on several forums..substance abuse, F&F, etc. It's hard, even when WE are addicts/alcoholics and understand what addiction is, to contemplate that we can't make someone get clean/sober..any more than someone could make US. The F&F forums have been invaluable to me in this respect.

As ((Artsoul)) pointed out, we're also here for YOU, and your drinking.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you are not alone

glad you joined. up here we have treatment centers that will heop, and are paid for through the addac program and inconjuction of social services. i don'wwt know how your system works but it might be something to look into.. good luck... and we are always here.