Notices

Am I "sober"?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Heathen

For me I couldn't be sober without being clean and I couldn't be clean without being sober.
Ditto. No way in the world would I consider myself in any sort of recovery if I wasn't totally clean and sober..
Old 07-19-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
That's technically still "sober" because it's not alcohol but I feel like a fraud using that word all the same.

It feels like a case of "What's the point, isn't this good enough?"
I want to go to AA meetings but I'll feel like a fraud taking my 30 day chip when I'm still on the white stuff.

What to do? What to think?
What I would do may not be relevant to what you need to do. I'll tell ya this though, when I'm feeling guilty about something I've done or something I'm currently doing, there's no sense in asking ppl if it's really okay. All I'm doing is going on a recruitment drive to try to trick myself into thinking that it's Ok to do something I know I shouldn't be.

100 ppl here could say it's no problem but would you reeeeeeally feel any less guilty? I doubt it.

I'm an alcoholic, no question in my mind. I didn't get to the point where I lost control with drugs too but I never turned down some coke and I did more than my fair share of extasy. I was still able to take-em or leave-em (the drugs) when I quit drinking. So, since I didn't have the mental obsession, and was able to not get high on my own, I don't consider myself a drug addict. That said.... if I went out and blew down some rails tonight or scored a couple pills and rolled balz..... I'd be changing my sobriety date in AA meetings.

Sober was defined in dictionaries at the time Bill Wilson used it in the Big Book as being: of sane mind and sound judgment. It doesn't JUST mean "not drinking liquor."

Fortunately, AA doesn't require honesty at the tables. You can keep you chip and just tell everyone you're sober if you want to. The ONLY requirement is the desire to stop drinking. Unfortunately, continued sobriety, a lifestyle built around reliance upon a power greater than you, being of service to other suffering alcoholics/addicts...... all that kinda necessitates honesty.....total honesty - especially with yourself.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Harry,
I couldn't, in good conscience, use benzos, cocaine, heroin, opiates, weed, etc. and consider myself "sober". If I picked up another substance, I would be changing my sobriety date in AA even if I hadn't picked up a drink. I think you know the answer to your own questions. I hear the guilt in your posts. The problem is this: I can change seats, but if I am still sitting on the Titanic -- rather than on a lifeboat -- I am going to go down with the ship. I would encourage you to let go of all mind and mood altering chemicals -- both the alcohol and the cocaine. Recovery is about honesty. I know I would be lying to say I am sober (alcohol free) and then use cocaine or another drug.
Susan Lauren
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for the honesty

Harry, congratulations on being honest, always be truthful, and we all will support you. Have you been to NA meetings? I like them better than AA, however I went to AA when I was a kid with my father. If it's an AA chip it should be ok??? did you ask your sponsor? I think a lot of people have the same issue, including me, I have a problems with narcotics, and not alcohol, so I would like to drink occasionally, but I'm not sure that is ok? Good Luck to you, and when you are ready you will quit both
Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Nooo! Chip 4 u! iMHO (said in laughing yet compasionate tone) Most if not all the people I met in AA at least dabbled in coke. For most it's easier to kick than booz. Even thinking about getting a chip comes across as Clinton speak re: Lewinski. Letter vs spirit of the law kinda stuff. Ultimately you need to do what you need to do. Can you run it by your sponsor?... Sponsors love those sort of questions mostly because they asked the same thing to their sponsor. Great progress with the booz though, you're doing it in reverse of what most people do (myself included).
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Harry and congrats on being sober. I don't think you need to feel a fraud or feel guilty by collecting your chip. Clearly, the common denominator in alcoholism and drug abuse is addiction, and what helped me a lot in a circumstance similar to yours was researching and understanding addiction and the addictive personality. I think a good way of undermining addiction is to understand the nature of the beast, and then to take it apart limb by limb. You've already started that process by becoming sober. I've been addicted to most things, including nicotine, alcohol, gambling, trading (yes, I discovered trading the stock market can be a form of addictive behavior). Recognizing these as manifestations of my addictive personality helped me take on each one, and only one addiction is still part of my addictive personality (trading). I hope you recognize your sobriety as an amazing turnaround in your life, and one that will ultimately persuade you to quit coke. Anyways, go for it,and good luck.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Sober and clean is more than just not using alcohol and drugs, imo. Its all about a way of living life freely and happily sans the drinking and using. Its the changes we accomplish in our hearts, minds, and bodies which in turn create the differences in our daily lives. Just quitting either alcohol or drugs is a huge achievement absolutely but quitting is not the same as living sober and clean, its just the essential first action taken to begin the journey.

AA members will have different opinions depending on the groups makeup, but you'll not likely get an overwhelming support response that your sober living is correct and progressive recovery. Cocaine is a powerful drug and alters our lives absolutely, so have a care when expecting others to appreciate your actions and opinions on personal responsibilities and consequences about what is and is not being "clean and sober." Having said that, you would still be welcome at any real AA meeting, at least by me, no problem. Other members may disagree.

FWIW, I would not believe for a single heartbeat myself clean and sober if I used or drank whatsoever. Kaput.

Anyways, you know what? Big Congrats on your not drinking! Awesome! Absolutely a great step in the right direction. I hope you can find the same results eventually for your cocaine using ASAP.

RR
Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

One thing at a time. I gave up coke, cigarettes and booze together but still smoked weed and took benzos for 3 months. People in AA were very supportive and I picked up my 5 month chip on Friday. I am picking up my 2 month keyring from NA on next Tuesday.

The only requirement of AA membership is a DESIRE to stop DRINKING. You're doing great, the rest will come in time.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
I definitely want to be able to say "I am clean and sober" and I know I need to be.
It's just that I feel guilty saying "sober" and having people assume that includes "clean" too. However, at the same time, being able to say I'm "sober" is a big deal to me and saying that I'm not or not taking that chip would be a blow for me. I'm really torn.
Yep ,
Clean/sober = Body without mood changing chemicals.
I say you don't "feel" comfortable in NA because ......
Honesty will set you free to make the decision .....
When you want to .......... You haven't yet
:day6 You're welcome ......
Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I can't add much to what's already been said here, but as an AA member I would strongly suggest you talk to your sponsor about the 30-day chip, then make your decision based on that advice. Regardless of whether you pick up a chip or not, I definitely agree that you should be proud of being off the alcohol for 30 days - that's a huge accomplishment and I congratulate you.

Stephanie
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It is a really positive step. If I were you I'd talk to my sponsor about this.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Harry8:
When language gets in the way of recovery, then this must mean something. What do you suppose this means? Both alcohol and cocaine are mind altering substances. Your neuron receptors are not functioning normally. AA hands out "chips" but the "chips" are hardly an indispensible part of the program. And the reality is there despite how one describes it. In my own case I found that nothing would work unless I was able to disclose to others and admit to myself exactly what I was doing. If some folks in the group then said that I was not "sober" and others said that I was and still others said that I was on a "dry drunk", I made little progress unless I was able to thank them for their views but then decide for myself what to do about it, not be controlled by what others might happen to think. In other words I had to kick my dependency on others along with my other dependencies.
So now I'm still dependent--- on my dog. Am I sober? Well my dog is not a mind altering substance and that's a step in the right direction.. But I am a little allergic to fur....Do I still rate a chip?

W.

W.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

For me, "sober" is about how I think first, and act second.

I believe that I had to change my thinking before I could really be sober. It is almost impossible to change one's thinking under the influence of any drug or alcohol.