Notices

Topamax

Old 07-18-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Topamax

Thought I would start a new thread on this one! Have any of you taken this to help with the cravings? My Dr. has prescribed it to me in a graduated dosage starting with 25mg and increasing weekly.

I am interested in your experiences, good and bad as well as how much you are taking!

Thanks so much for your time and support..soooo glad to have found SR!!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I presume you've talked with your Dr about this Huntwc?
I understand you're curious but that's your first and best port of call.

Keep in mind we can't give medical advice here - which, for our purposes, includes
diagnoses, treatment plans, medication advice and dosage suggestions

D
Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes..my Dr. gave me the script...just wondering if you can share experiences? Is that allowed?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Topamax was prescribed to me to help with my Bipolar II, and also to help suppress appetite, as a med I am taking causes significant weight gain.

I was not aware that it could help suppress alcohol cravings - interesting - if you want to read more in-depth stuff about this med, go here Crazy Meds! The Good, The Bad & The Funny of Neurological Medications

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was prescribed Topamax last year for severe headaches caused by HTN and a small interior carotid aneursym, like you beginning with 25mg, increased to 100 over time. one of the side effects can be kidney stones. it didn't deter me from drinking at all, but I did experience massive hair shedding.

interestingly enough, topamax is part of the mix for a new weight loss drug awaiting FDA approval....Qnexa.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tried Topamax a couple of years ago. One of it's off-label uses is to lower the "pleasure" your brain receives from alcohol, which can help you stop drinking because you don't feel the effects you would ordinarily get from the alcohol, apparently.
I've heard good things about the med, but I can't really say that it helped me much because I wasn't ready to quit drinking (was looking for a magic cure/pill), so I just ended up drinking more to override what the meds were supposed to be doing.
Anyhow, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm giving medical advice
Old 07-18-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Topamax made me feel like i was chewing on aluminum foil....it did alter the taste of food and carbonated beverages for me. i could not eat anything take out that was packed in an aluminum pan.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That happened to me too, Fandy! The distorted taste perception, yuck.