Notices

Hello, newbie here.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, newbie here.

Greetings from the great State of Montana!

My name is MTWildflower, and I am an alcoholic.

This is the first time I've ever said that, because of personal shame, because I thought it was something you had to try to become or because of the old-fashioned notions of being a bad person, or weak-willed, etc.

I don't know how this is going to go, but I've heard that in meetings there is sometimes a prayer/moment of silence for those who still suffer. I cry every time I think of it, because it is so wonderful to know that people all over the world take time to think of people like me.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Wildflower to the SR family! I'm glad you found us. I wish you the strength and passion to get and stay sober one day at a time. I don't go to near as many meetings as I used to, but really enjoy when I do go. I get a feeling of great compassion and understanding from the people in those rooms.

This site has been a godsend to me the last couple years. I've gotten so much support and encouragement that I never could give up on myself or feel hopeless for too long. And after many false starts I've finally reached seven months sober! That used to seem impossible. But I did it.

You can too. Give it your all, whether it's AA or counseling or this site or any number of methods for staying sober. I'm so glad I found this place. It's saved my life I'm sure. I'm also blessed with a wonderful counselor. SHe helps me in all areas of my life, not just staying sober.

I wish you the best. We have a lot of support and good info here so avail yourself of it.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome MTWildflower. I am glad you are here. Keep coming back and keep posting. I think you'll find a lot of caring, wise people here who can offer lots of support.
This site has been a big help to me.
Wishing you all the best and will certainly remember you in my prayers. Heck, I'll do it right after hitting the reply button just to be sure!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think it's true that there is a connection between people who are addicted.

I'm glad you found us and that you are ready for support.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. You are not alone. Help is possible. We do recover.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((MTWildflower)) - welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you made a great couragious choice MT! I just joined yesterday, and I too have the demon. This is a great place and we are here for one another. You have taken a huge first step: admitting to yourself that you have a problem and are no longer in denial. It will be a long road, and if you mess up, itll be okay. A wise man once said,"....fall seven times rise 8..." you just hang in there bro and we are here for you!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone. It really means a lot.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MT!

D
Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome MT!

Guess what? I'm an alcoholic too!

Stick around, these people are great and offer so many words of encouragement.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Because you mentioned AA meetings.....you might find this interesting.
It's what many groups use to begin a meeting ...
The AA Preamble

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
Good to see you here with us....Welcome....
Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome MTW! You're making the best decision you can possibly make right now in your life, so give yourself a hug for that! It's scary to think about being an alcoholic, but I found that when I finally accepted it, the answer seemed pretty clear. Sometimes I still can't believe I'm an alcoholic, but then I step back and look at the evidence...... and we can call it what we like: alcohol abuse, alcohol addiction, or whatever. I don't think it matters as long as we can see that we're out of control when it comes to drinking.

Didn't know if I could get sober, but taking it one day at a time really helped. Keep posting and reading - I'm glad you're here!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks. I've been so afraid to say the "A" word that I needed to say it at least once to punch through that barrier.

I am an alcoholic.

I'm still a bit surprised that the world didn't end when I said that.

After that new flash, back to dealing with my problem.

Thanks for your patience as I start to figure things out. There will be some problems I have that others don't (like saying the "A" word), but please don't imagine that I think that everyone does or should have the same hang-ups I do.

Wildflowers come in all colors and sizes.

P.S. I think I have a smiley addiction now.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

MTW, I can almost guarantee you that the crazy hang-ups, behaviors, ways of thinking, and other things you've experienced or will experienced are shared by many on this site. I used to think I was the only person in the world who did certain things, and then I find out that a lot of alcoholics knew exactly where I had been.

Thanks for joining us. Lots of good people on this site with tons of knowledge and experience. It's a neat place to be.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome MTW

I can relate. The moment I admitted I was an alcoholic I felt a great burden lift from my shoulders. It is what it is and now I can deal with it. As you can.

Taking one day at a time, i have been able to stay sober for 101 days. A new life is possible.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
MTW, I can almost guarantee you that the crazy hang-ups, behaviors, ways of thinking, and other things you've experienced or will experienced are shared by many on this site. I used to think I was the only person in the world who did certain things, and then I find out that a lot of alcoholics knew exactly where I had been.
Hi Wildflower and welcome. I agree with Snarf, some of the weirdest hangups you can imagine has been posted about and discussed. Getting over the shame is a huge step. Glad you are here! I am an a-word as well!