Notices

Ready to quit smoking too...

Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to quit smoking too...

Hello everyone, I just reached 11 months of sobriety and now I start feeling like I'm ready to quit smoking too. I postponed that because I didn't want to put me into too much altogether...

Anyway, do you have any suggestions, and, most important of all, do you think that the added stress could be potentially dangerous?

By the way, by smoking I mean only cigarettes...
Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Adeptice,
That sounds like a wonderful decision. I'm sure you already know these things, but sometimes I think it helps to hear another person say them. That helps me.

Spend the money on Nicoderm patches and/or gum.

I have quit in the past for periods of time and when I decided to quit I always found myself standing in Target, staring at the $39.99 price tag for two weeks of patches thinking, "Oh do I really need these? They're so expensive..." Isn't that crazy and dumb? I spent more than that every week on cigarettes and finally, begrudgingly spent the money on them.

Spend the money on them

If you find that that doesn't work and you have good insurance, definitely consider Chantix or one of the other new medications they have to help people quit smoking. My friend's husband smoked for 20 years and he was one of those people that not only smoked, but loved everything about smoking. He was on Chantix and quit without a hitch.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Oops. Just reread it. I hope it didn't sound like I was giving medical advice.

Speak with your doctor to find out if Chantix is for you.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck adepitice

I don't know if there's a Quit page where you live but many of my friends here in Australia found it helpful
quitnow - Welcome to the Quitnow Website

I know folks love to share what worked for them, but do check with your Dr...what might have been right for someone else may not be suitable for you.

D
Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

ONLY Cigarettes!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dm2

I would eat or use anything from modern pharmacy. Read Allen Carr book about smoking. Lot's of things explained.