Notices

Fouled Up Last Night

Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Snarf, I was just writing to myself recently how a bunch of cliches we've heard of, either through first-hand or second-hand experience or through bumper stickers, all actually mean something to me now. They're meaningful. I won't torture everyone with a list of them, ha ha, but I was astonished with myself for being able to like the serenity prayer and actually GET it. The secular version that starts with "I strive for" is fine, but (another amazement for me) even though I used to be atheist or whatever the right word was, the "God, grant me" part actually works fine for me. It's like passing a course finally. Or passing one you used to be afraid to take.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

@Mr.Serious...You can do this! I so identify w/ your struggle. I'm back here after a 2 year relapse. I had to laugh at the post about eating ice cream, or whatever...it's not alcohol. That's what I'm doing this week and already (on my 4th day) feel that my jeans are a bit looser!

Activities also help. My dog is getting a regular walk now. I find if I can make it past 8:00 PM, I'm good for the day. I've also scheduled some activities w/ friends and let them know that I'm in recovery. Accountablility helps me keep sober.

So... yea for you! Keep at it!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Been there done that - so many times
Good to have you back on the right road Mr Serious

D
Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You have lots of friends here rooting for you! It if starts getting hard tonight, just come here and read, post, read, post. It really helped me. Otherwise, enjoy your Xbox! I couldn't play video games at first, but after a few weeks, I got a couple new ones, and found that it was just because the old ones reminded me of drinking.

Keep going and stay positive!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

well so far so good, im home, sober and drinking some tea. Changed my routine a bit, nothing serious, but as of now it has been a full 24 hours. thanks for all the words of wisdom and encouragement!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good for you, you might want to check out some of the "relaxing" teas in the grocery if you have trouble sleeping.

(another one of my home remedies for insomnia is a turkey sandwich and small dish of ice cream.)
Old 07-15-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
well so far so good, im home, sober and drinking some tea. Changed my routine a bit, nothing serious, but as of now it has been a full 24 hours. thanks for all the words of wisdom and encouragement!
That's awesome! A full 24 hours! Guess what? You now have Day One under your belt!! A big round of applause is in order!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
Proud of ya Mr Serious!

Actually, from what I remember (vaguely) I kinda effed up on my first day. Was gonna quit on Mon but got a 12pk instead and polished it off early Tues am and passed out. So, I don't know if that's really a valid first day or not. Yea, I guess so since I didn't drink any more that day. Heck I dunno....

However, I remember that 1st 24 - it was not fun. I hope you're feeling ok and not going through the withdrawals that I did. What kinda tea are ya drinking? I got some Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time tea today and by golly, I'm going to make me some right now!

And so many people advised the B12 which I diligently took 2000mg a day. OMG think I missed that dose today!

I feel your pain sir and amazingly enough I'm feeling almost normal on day 3.

We're here for ya!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boudiepitbull View Post
That's awesome! A full 24 hours! Guess what? You now have Day One under your belt!! A big round of applause is in order!
And we all know that Day ONE absolutely SUCKS!!!!

It does get better, doesn't it?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cat1961 View Post
And we all know that Day ONE absolutely SUCKS!!!!

It does get better, doesn't it?
It only sucks when you're living through it. In a few years it becomes a special day worth celebrating!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boudiepitbull View Post
It only sucks when you're living through it. In a few years it becomes a special day worth celebrating!
Thank you for correcting my grammar boudie.

You are so correct! Thanks again for that clarification.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

See, once that first day's under your belt, you now have evidence and a track record. When a day starts to get tough and you think you can't make it through the day without drinking, you can say to yourself, "Why, I most certainly can. I did it already; I've proved it can be done. So if I've already done it before, why can't I do it again?"

You've succeeded, Mr. Serious, at least for today. Use that and build upon it and expand it and cultivate it and just keep going. We'll all be here to help you when you need it.