Notices

I am so glad I found this forum!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am so glad I found this forum!

I have been trying to quit, it ends up a few days of sobriety and then back to the beer. The hardest part is around 5pm, hubby gets home from work and grabs a beer. I try to keep my self control, walk away, cook supper, ride my horse but my thoughts go to “Awe you can have just one.” And I know that is total BS for me. I am weak.

I am glad to have found this forum today. When the feeling of wanting a beer comes on I will go to my computer with a lemonade and head to this place. I have already found some good ideas and am starting tonight.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I'm glad you found us!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, I am new as well. I put the beer down a week ago and finally am starting to feel human again. Hey, I can have "a" beer also, just as long as you have at least 18-20 more for me!!! If it's bothering you just put your foot down on it because it just goes from bad to worse daily. This forum is great, a huge help...gives you the company of other folks that are trying and working daily to stay sober, and it's open anytime! Read this forum as much as you can, you will stumble on little tid bits of helpful info and read things that you can relate to. Posting updates is a big help, not just to hear from others but you can go back as you progress and read your own thoughts from the days before...it's a great tool.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR from a fellow buckeye! I too spend lots of time here and it helps. Helps keep me sober and helps keep others sober too - how cool is that?

There's lots of support and good info here so make use of it and hang on to us cause we're travelling the sober road.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome IAnOH!!
I am a newbie as well and I'm finding this place to be a comfort. I finally realized that the demons I face are not unique to me. There is help out there! (I just had to put down the walls of stubborn pride and seek the help.)

You an do it! We are all here to help too.

Hang in there!
~Sugar
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family! You're a wise woman to be addressing this now. Our lives can turn into chaos without us ever realizing it's happening.

TexasNative said what I was going to - the "few" beers always turn into many. (In my case, a 30-pack a day all by my little self.) What was once fun and relaxing became a necessity. In the end, I couldn't leave the house without taking something with me - I'd shake or get sick. This never has to happen to you - and I'm glad you see the light!

Keep posting - you can do this!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome IAnOH

D
Old 07-14-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is great place to come and vent when you need to- we all understand. Keep checking in and let us know how you're doing
Old 07-14-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome IAnOH! Definitely grab that lemonade and hang out with us. If we can do, so can you! There's something about knowing we're not alone that makes it SO much easier.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety saved my life.

Hi IAnOH,

You have found the right place. This is where everyone understands what you are going through and there is help here 24/7, seriously, post something at 3:00am and see what happens, it's great. Anyway, just wanted to share that I can relate to your quote:

“Awe you can have just one.”

I have been sober for a little more than two months now and that is the main thing that I struggle with, knowing that I will never be able to have another alcoholic drink for the rest of my life. The last time I had just one it kicked off a six year bender deleting the three and a half month sobriety I was so proud of. I don't post too often but I still come here and read a lot which really helps me remember why I am getting sober. After being sober It's easy to forget the problem I have with alcohol and I think I am normal now and can drink . That's why coming here helps to remember the reasons, at least for me. Especially the newer member posts, not that I am a grizzled sobriety veteran.

Just wanted to let you know that reading your post today helped me more than you know. Here's the broken record once again, "One day at a time". That really helps me with the perspective. For myself I've coupled that with "Today was tomorrow yesterday".

I wish you the best of luck. Do it for yourself.

Flip
Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....glad you are here with us..
Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!! One idea is that you can ask your hubby to hold off on the beer for a week or two until you feel stronger..or maybe even ask him to drink it outside or not at all. My husband raraley drinks anymore..,and we NEVER have any alcohol in the house. I cant handle that if I see it. I need my home alcohol free. I think he'd understand and want to support you in that!!