Notices

Is it easier to quit after 2 years or 20?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it easier to quit after 2 years or 20?

Alright, this question may be a bit odd to some. But it seems like most sober people have quit after what is quite a long time, after the pain of so many years of drinking got to the point where quitting was a very strong desire. Their physical dependence was obviously much larger than a "new" drinker, but their emotional desire to stop was, with some help, enough to overpower this.

I've been averaging about 30-40 drinks / week for about 2 years now. I am 22 years old. For the first year and a half, I never felt that my habit was a problem. Never had any family, work, legal, or health issues with it. Not to mention it was almost always pretty fun, even if it was just 8 beers while playing an old video game home alone.

Now I'm starting to realize that I may be going down a bad road. I still have fun when I drink, I still don't have any major problems with it save for a few rough mornings, but from reading forums like this and hearing the stories of others, I know that the problems will certainly come if I continue on like this. The problem is--while I recognize this and have a strong desire to quit for most of the day--by the time it is nighttime, I start craving the fun of drinking and at the same time I remind myself that it really hasn't been causing any problems so far, so..."why not"?

That makes me wonder. Although physically I may not be too dependent on alcohol after only 2 years, it seems that the very fact that I haven't been drinking too long, and haven't had any problems from it, makes me less able to stop than I would be if it were causing me serious problems.

Am I just being dumb, or is there something to what I'm saying? And please don't think I'm saying that it isn't hard to quit after 20 years. I would just like some perspective on the difference between the long time drinker--in which the strength of the emotional desire to quit outweighs the strong physical dependence-- and that of the 'newer' drinker, in which both the emotional desire and the physical dependence may be somewhat lower.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Catch,

My drinking has been at a pretty similar level to yours, though I didn't start drinking that much until I was in my early 30s. Now, deciding to quit at 34, it seems I am an 'early stopper'!

I, too, struggled with deciding if I was 'bad enough' to stop. I mean, I knew I thought I had a problem - what else would I be doing trawling through an alcoholism forum, right?! I wasn't drinking during the day, didn't have a DUI, never lost a job... etc etc. But like you, I found myself making decisions to 'take a break' from alcohol for a while, or cut back significantly, only to break that promise to myself over and over.

Eventually, I realised, as many people here have said, that the question isn't 'Is my drinking bad enough?' it's 'How bad do I want it to get before I'll feel like I HAVE to quit?' You'd think a DUI, or losing a job or friends, or health issues would be enough to do it, but this site is full of evidence that people can rationalise almost anything away once they are in the grip of addiction.

Nobody can make the decision whether to stop except you. You're already drinking well beyond healthy limits - more than twice the recommended upper limit of 14 drinks a week (and if you were 'only' drinking 14 a week, you would still be regarded as a heavy drinker!).

I for one am glad I did not have to go through some of the horrible withdrawal symptoms I see so many here experiencing. And that I won't be finding out where 'rock bottom' is for me.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if you keep up with the "30-40" drinks per week, I can almost guarantee you that within a couple of more years you will be surpassing that...it will be more like "45-60"...and it will start to show on your face, in your body...you will have much more to worry about than "a few rough mornings".... you might be 25 years old and look like 35 years old...you might be 35# heavier with the problems that come along with carrying extra weight....type 2 diabetes, hypertension, palpitations.

why don't you just "try" to change your routine for a week and not consume alcohol...once you get past the withdrawal phase....(night sweats, insomnia for starters), you will feel completely different.....consuming that much alcohol at such a young age is just setting yourself up for a horror show. You can quit if you want to, but you have to want to. you are craving it now every night...do you think that will stop?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think quitting at 22 is the smartest thing you could do, but I agree that it will be more difficult. Aside from the lack of motivating factors, when I was 22 I couldn't tell that I was an alcoholic because everyone around me drank heavily. Like you, I knew when I was 22 that quitting would be a good idea, but I didn't want to miss out on all the "fun" of my twenties. I can't imagine how much better my life would be now if I had been able to quit back then.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Catchment, that's a really interesting question - nothing odd about it. In fact, it's probably along the same lines as what I asked myself as the years of drinking stacked on top of each other. The more morbid version of it is: "How long do I think I have to live if I keep this up?" when you feel something scary going on in your entrails while standing in the shower; or when bizarre gurgling happens in your abdomen and competes with your voice while talking to somebody. Or when you just look at your red and veiny face with marble pebbles for eyes instead of living eyes. But the more philosophical side of the same issue is "Which is easier for me, where is the courage stronger to do this?"

The immediate reaction I have is that there was more "courage" doing it around 20 years later, but only through the beaten soul you described. That's one of the reasons it sounds so right to say it is like "surrendering," because you are finally done with the beatings. In that sense, I guess it was "easier."

But that doesn't mean my path was the right one; far from it. And it's not what I want someone else to go through; the years of drinking and addiction. I didn't handle my good sense properly when I was the younger person and contend with the trying and struggling that would have been there. It's what the younger people have the option to do though. They have the option of listening to themselves and looking into the horror picture more closely and listening to others who tell you it is NOT a glorious existence; sooner. It's a beautiful thing when I see people that do that work of changing sooner, and there are some examples of such people that visit this site.

Since you're asking now (which I did not do enough of), I recommend that you investigate and keep doing it, and see the issue for the awful thing it is now instead of letting it carry on into later. Have that openmindedness. Consider the possiblity that it makes sense to pick Happy over Being Right today. Look at the way you think, the way your emotions work; the things that alcohol apparently does "for" you. And alcohol looks like a worthwhile friend at around 2 years for some people; but it won't be for an alcoholic for the next 20 (if they are still there). I picked Being Right, and it took years to stop drinking. I'm extremely lucky, to me.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Although physically I may not be too dependent on alcohol after only 2 years
This is not accurate. People develop dependence (or not) differently. Over three years ago I started having one glass of wine before the kids got home from school "to relax" and within six months was drinking all day every day - and not because I wanted to, but because I had to. Half a year and I was addicted badly.

YOu're smart to want to stop now before the addiction/problem gets much worse. I was 57 when I started having my relaxing glass of wine! I never thought I'd become an alcoholic, but I did. And after 'only' drinking for a couple years I found it very hard to stop. Damn near impossible to stop without help, and even with help I kept going back to drinking even knowing how bad it was for my health and my life.

You may not be physically addicted - yet - but it would be wise to stop drinking now before you DO become addicted. And before something awful can happen to you to damage or destroy your life or the lives of others.

Welcome to the SR family! You'll find lots of support and good info here so come here often and read and post your questions and thoughts. I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Catchment,

I'm 22, have been an alcoholic for 2-3 years, but hardly feel the need to measure my desperation against the desperation of drinkers who have been at it longer and harder.

I got desperate when I hit bottom, when drinking was no longer fun but something I had to do, when I no longer knew if one night I would blackout and wake up in jail or wrap my car around a telephone pole.

2 years or 20, alcoholism progresses at different rates for everyone.

Play the tape till the end. Is alcohol really worth dying over?

Welcome to SR
Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried both. They were both equally hard - sadly I think I hadn't learned anything much at all in the intervening 18 years - but I wish I'd stuck with the attempt at 2 years.

D
Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Very interesting topic - thanks Catchment! I'd have to say they're equally as hard, but for different reasons. I first got sober 20 years ago, and I'm getting sober now for the second time. A few thoughts off the top of my head:

For people who are just starting down that road, it's easier to quit because the habit is relatively new as opposed to decades old. There's less withdrawals and the body can snap back more quickly. Younger people may have more resources (parents who can help them out for one), and less obligations (kids, houses, etc.) which means it's easier to time off to get treatment, go to meetings, etc. Less obligations also means less stress. And young people are more adaptable; they can pick another job and move more easily than someone's who's put down roots.

On the other hand, drinking is still a part of the single person's lifestyle. It's hard when all your friends are out at the bar. And, like you said, if there's no consequences, there's little incentive to change. The tendency is to think you're invincible, so it's easy to put off stopping until a later date.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People get addicted at different paces and in different ways, so there is really no straight answer.

However, you are more likely to have a multitude of consequences the longer you continue.

I say, if you have the insight now, why not quit? If you think you may be going down the wrong path, and are on recovery websites, you probably are headed for trouble.

Try and cut down, see if it works.

You may not live to be the age that it took for some people on here to get sober.

Good luck to you. I am 32, sober 43 days and feeling great.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Is it easier to quit after 2 years or 20?

Hi Catchment,

I have never been asked this question before but it is very interesting. If I had the knowledge back when I was 20 as I do now I would have known I was an alcoholic from the get-go!

My first drink was with my new husband when we were married. As time went along I noticed I wanted to drink more often and have more to drink. I went over a period of 28 years drinking more than not drinking. I didn't drink when I was pregnant & I stopped drinking once in a while...questioning myself about what I was doing to myself. But I could never stay stopped.

When I was 48 I looked like an alcoholic in distress...a bright red face, skinny arms & legs with a poochy belly & a permanent depressed look on my face.

I finally asked for help for my alcoholism & depression together. It worked for me and I have been sober 22 years on July 10, 2010. I had losses for sure but did not get arrested, go to jail, lose a job, but I lost my self-worth, self-esteem, pride, my inner & outer self & my family did not like my drinking. It was a lot of hard work to get any semblence of self in order again so I could even like myself.

But I did it & I have a safe & almost sane life now. I still do battle with my depression & continue to take medication for it. I have regular follow-ups with my doc to monitor my meds. I am a very healthy lady that will be 70 in September. I am one of the lucky ones.

kelsh
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Being younger may make it easier, because you may have had some sober teenage years to look back on to find fun sober things to do. I started drinking at 15, and I always associated "fun" as picking up some beer and then letting the night lead me into trouble. From my late teen years fun has always meant getting drunk. I never knew of another way to have fun, and fun for everyone of the people I have associated with meant the same thing. I wish that I knew another way, but if we were going to the movies, it meant we were going to sit in the parking lot for 2 hours before the movie, split a twelve pack and if we finished on time we would go in. If we were going to a dance, we would sit in the parking lot for 2 hours to finish the twelve pack and then go in. Everything from golf to fishing to dating to playing poker to etc etc. You get the point. So I never even questioned my drinking at your age because that is just what we did and that was all I have ever known. If your drinking is only 2 years old and you recognise it as a problem and you have other options for "fun", then I would say save yourself the future problems and stop now. I wish I was smart enough at your age to have stopped, even though alcohol has played a very important role in many of the friendships that I still have and it is part of my history and who I was. Now I am not saying it was a wise decision, and alcohol has caused every major problem that I have ever had, but I will not deny that I also had alot of fun back in the day when I didn't need to be a responsible person, but sometime in yourlife you have to grow up, and alcohol made me feel like I was 17 for a long time, and I'm sure you have heard of the law of diminishing returns. When you are 40 and you are still acting like you are 17, there is a problem,( and it really grosses out 17 year old girls ), and when most of us were young alcohol didn't have the stigma that it does today. I was caught drinking by the police every other weekend in High School, and they would take our beer and we would fish for it somewhere else. I was pulled over more than a handful of times only to tell the cop that I just lived up the hill and he would let me drive home. Times are different, and even though I now realize that alcohol has had huge consequences on my life, I still look fondly at some of the best times while drinking. That's why it was so hard for me to finally say "I quit", because it is like saying goodbye to my youth. Sorry for going off on a tangent, but I'm getting sentimental.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Interesting post.

I got sober at 23. I am 24 now. I celebrated my year sober July 8th.

Drinking was starting to cost me a lot. Legal troubles, family troubles, Unemployment, mental health troubles, financial. Also I was a drug addict when under the influence so add large amounts of Cocaine + any other drugs bar heroin to the list of negatives.

I reached the point where I was a shadow of my former self. I had been unemployed for a long time, had zero motivation, apathetic towards life and had nearly reached the stage where I had given up. I was running into problems with the law and already had been banned for driving for 2 years and caught for Cocaine possession. I could see another drug possession charge heading my way so had to drink alone. I Wasn't allowed to drink at home though I would anyway when drunk, so had to go round the park alone on the bench. I thought about just packing up my bag and giving up and going to meet up with some street alcoholics and die drinking.

That was the state of my mental health during my last few binges whils't drinking alone.

I knew and accepted I was an alcoholic and I also knew that for me I had to stop now. If I didn't stop now then I would definately die drunk. I would have never have been able to stop when I got older I don't think. I would have lost too much to get out.

I still could see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel and my previous stint (37 days) in AA, SR and sober showed me that there was another way. I just had to put the work and effort in and surrender to my alcoholism and embrace recovery and my sobriety. I had to not pick up that first drink under any cirumstances 'just for today'.

Getting sober has given me my life back. A totally new life and one which is so much more rewarding. However I also have had to reach the stage where I truly knew in my heart that I am an alcoholic. So all of the many sacrifices that I have had to make are just and the right thing to do.

I have been able to see the benfits of my sobriety physically with the good things in my life that have happened and continue to happen as well as feel all the wonderful benefits to my mental health and wellbeing. It took battering myself into the dirt mentally to be able to reach this point though.

There will never be the 'right' time to get and stay sober. There will always be just one more party or rave around the corner and one more last hit. You've just gotta know that for you then to drink is to die a lonely, miserable, unhappy life of addiction and heartache. I knew that for me drinking meant prison, institution or death. I had to reach that point to be able to accept staying away from the first drink at all costs. Bearing in mind that I live in England where drinking is life for many people. I had to totally accept to pull myself out of the music scene. I am just starting to get back into my guitar and thinking about that side of my life again. That is also very related to drink and drugs. But I am an alkie and I accept that. I am loving my guitar and writing music again. It's great.

The best thing I ever did was making the commitment to stay sober at all costs 'just for today'. For me the other option was not good. I was sick and tired of feeling sad. I don't think I would have ever made it to 20 years drinking. I would have died long before of either OD or suicide.

Peace
Old 07-14-2010, 03:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
There will never be the 'right' time to get and stay sober.
Wow. So True.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, you sound really smart! Realizing when you are young like this is amazing. I wish I were as smart as you are when I was your age and quit while I was ahead!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What Dee and arsoul said really... I have stopped drinking when I was 27 or so (do not remember well) and then on both pregnancies and breastfeeding periods. I wish I had stayed there... I wished I had stopped smoking when I first tried when I was 18.

Is it easier or not? i did not find any easier any attempts except for pregnancy when it just 'happened' in my brain. It was not an option to drink (although I kept smoking, could not quit, I am more dependent physically to nicotine than drink).

From what I read and understand you are already aware you have a problem. The decision to stop will never be easier. This is the catch22 with addiction: you know is bad for you, but right now to 'fix' your craving you will drink/smoke/eat whatever. Tomorrow -whenever you put tomorrow- you will stop. Everyday the same.

However, if you develop a strong physical dependence -and you do not know when it will happen as least explained- if you get in legal trouble, financial trouble, then IN ADDITION to the problem of stopping and deciding to stay sober you will have to deal with the consequences of the drinking. In that sense it can get much more difficult.