Notices

Day 2

Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Just wanted to introduce myself. Im a 27 year old, married female from Illinois. We have no kids, but do have one incredibly wonderful dog. Her name is Ivy, and I love her to pieces.

Today is Day 2 of my sobriety. Yesterday, I got up early and went to an AA meeting, and met a lot of nice, interesting people. I think I will continue to go on the weekends to those meetings. Going to try going to the night ones during the week. Hopefully it will help keep me out of the bar, and keep my mind off wanting to take that first drink. My husband doesn't think that I can quit. He said I might slow down for a bit, but then it'll go back to how it was. He says he knows me and knows how I am. What a support system, huh? I know I need to do this for me, but to be able to prove him wrong would be such a great feeling well.

I "quit" a couple years ago, for over 200 days. However, I was drinking O'douls during that time, so I really don't know if that qualifies as quitting. This time, I plan on not having those. I've been drinking a lot more pop, which I know isn't good for me. But, it is helping. Hopefully, soon I'll be able to just drink water and iced tea and stuff like that.

Anyway. Thanks for listening and I hope you all have a great day.

Kristin
Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family, Kristin and Ivy! I wish you well on your sober journey, we'll be beside you every step of the way if you like. I've found so much support and good info here. I hope we can be as much help to you. I'm sorry your husband isn't very supportive, but proving him wrong will be a good feeling for you, yes? With or without his support you CAN do this. And AA can be a lot of help too.

Do check out our dog owner's thread in the social groups forum. And post pix of Ivy if you want to. We love seeing other peoples' dogs.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...og-owners.html
Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Kristine! Hang in there! This is not about your husbands recovery, its about you. Unfortunately we, as alcoholics, promise many things to our loved ones and after we continue to break the promises, they stop trusting us. Not to worry though, you gain the trust back - that's a promise!! He loves you and is only speaking to you because he's in fear that you may not quit. I suggest that those of us living with someone to have them attend Alanon for their recovery. I have been in a relationship with someone for 10 years, met him with 31 days sobriety - NOT RECOMMENDED -, and I understand how the relationship could have sent me back out. He is a drug addict and has been in and out of treatment centers and NA. 10 years and I have not had one drink because of him. I went to meetings, stuck to the program set out by my sponsor and that is why I am still sober today.

Sobriety is what you make of it. I have seen miserable sobriety which is sad because we've spent our life being miserable. Now is a time for joy and healing. No matter how bad a day may go, there is always tomorrow.

Don't worry about your hubby, you keep working your steps - all of them - don't skip, don't half measure it, don't give up!!

You are loved and loving!
Dawn
Old 07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! Keep coming back and help us all stay sober.

Brian
Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Kristin

D
Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Kristin and congrats on 2 days sober! You'll find a lot of good company here as well as in AA. We can do this if we support each other and take it one day at a time. I'm sure your husband's comment didn't feel very good, but try not to take it to heart. Just focus on the rewards of sobriety, like waking up without a hangover, getting healthy, and starting a new sober adventure. You're worth it!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think one thing I am afraid of is that, I met my husband while drinking. Got to know him while drinking. Have spent so much time with him while drinking. What if, as sober, I don't like him? He doesn't like me when I try to stop drinking, because I get crabby and snappy with him. But, he just has to deal with that if he wants me to quit, right? It just seems that Im seeing things now that were probably happening before, but I just didn't let them bother me because I didn't really pay attention. I was just worried about that next drink, and where the money was going to come from for it.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I got to know my ex while drinking, too. There is a definite change when we get sober. When I got sober, I had to feel a lot of feelings I ignored while drinking, and I also knew I was going to have to figure out what I needed/wanted. I used alcohol to enable me to "go along with the program," instead of getting into any kind of conflict.

If you continue to have trouble dealing with your marriage, it might be good to get outpatient therapy or counseling to help you sort through some things. I was hard for me in early sobriety to really know what I was feeling. Like is it me, is it them, is it normal? Whatever you do, try not to stress yourself out and keep sobriety #1.:ghug3
Old 07-12-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to stay in today Kristin...worrying about what may happen is understandable but it doesn't help much really.

Wait to see what unfolds - many members here have found they were unsettled and very changeable with emotions in the early recovery period - it's normal...it makes no sense to make life changing decisions until you feel you've reached an equilibrium again living sober anyway.

D