Notices

Hi .

Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi .

Hi guys . My name is Robbie im 24 and from Ireland and im an alcoholic . I just really want to get sober or should i say stay sober . I can usually get a few weekes months of sobriety under my belt but i always relapse . I also suffer from severe social anxiety disorder and am basically housebound and this is a major issue i have because i dont think id be able for rehab or aa meetings . Im tired of letting my family down . My main trigger for relapse is the stress from my social anxiety , it all just builds on me and the depression that goes with it . I feel trapped . Im also a born-again Christian and God takes my cravings away but i fear even this isnt enough because i dont stay sober , i wonder would an alcohol councellor help instead of rehab , i cant keep living like this anymore . Its really good to have a site like this and i look forward to getting to know a few people , Thanks .
Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You're right, that taking your cravings away, is not enough for recovery. Recovery involves a lot of change. Good for you for stopping drinking and seeking support here. Have you talked to your dr or a therapist about your anxiety/depression issues? I began drinking for the same reason as you are, to self-medicate and it was a mess. I needed to be on antidepressants in order to recover, and I still take them. I also found that drinking made my anxiety and depression much worse.

You can always come here to find support and inspiration.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I see an alcohol counselor once a week and she is very helpful to me, not just in staying sober but with other life issues as well. I'd say go for it.

You'll also find lots of support and useful info here so keep coming back!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kind words guys
Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Robbie! You'll find alot of support here, so keep posting and reading! I thought alcohol helped me with my insomnia, depression and anxiety in the beginning, too. It wasn't really helping at all, just turning off my thinking for a short while. Underneath that numbing feeling, it was making everything worse.

I think if we need treatment for our other issues, we should definitely get it. It may make the difference in staying sober and drinking again.

Glad you're here!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome, youve came to the right place. i understand about social axiety. its hard for me to leave the house. I have to work and feel so afraid. Im even uncomfortable around my husband. Im insecure, and used to drink to get me past that so I could leave the house. But now I read here and go to AA and realize that there are so many other people out there just like me, I dont have to feel alone and scared anymore. Everytime you want to drink, come here and talk to someone or go to a class. You may need to get a sponsor. Anyway, welcome, and have a happy sober day!!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....
Good to see a new member

Please keep posting ..you are no longer alone
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Much love guys , its great to not feel alone , God bless you all
Old 07-12-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Robbie D

Some good advice here

Whatever else you end up doing - and I hope you will do something in the 'real' world - you'll always find support here

Welcome
D
Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome, Robbie! Keep reading and posting!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Hey Robbie! This is my first day here and I already feel better - maybe not physically, but there's a lot of inspiration.

I'm going through some tough times as you and sincerely believe that this is the place to SOBER UP.

Time to turn out the lights and hopefully get some sleep and turn to my coffee pot instead of a beer in the am.

I thought I was at a total loss this morning before discovering this site but feel so much better now.

Good night and thanks for all your support!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks guys