Notices

Prescription Drugs & AA

Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Prescription Drugs & AA

I was diagnosed this last time for Clinical Depression & Alcoholism & was admitted to the local hospital for a medical detox. This was in 1988. I spent my full first year of sobriety going to AA, working the program with a Sponsor, going to a Mental Health Counselor for my Depression, working & raising my youngest daughter still at home.

The psychiatrist that diagnosed me was very glad I was attending AA & had a counselor for my Depression + put me on an antidepressant. He asked me if the members in AA ever talked about prescription meds & that a person shouldn't be taking them if they wanted to be clean & sober. :rotfxko

I told him they do but I don't volunteer anything about my needed meds. I do discuss it with my Sponsor though. He then asked about my history of Depression & when I told him I had first been dx as a teen he wasn't that surprised.

He predicted that I may need a maintenance dose of antidepressant the rest of my life & this has proven so. I have had problems that come with too much stress but through the years have learned how to work through them.

kelsh :day6
Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I'm a big proponent of AA. Last I checked the only requirement for membership in AA was a desire to start drinking. I don't see anything about prescription drugs in the 12 Steps or 12 Traditions.

People have differing views of AA. I believe the Steps can be applied to other areas of your life, such as if you were battling with an addiction to prescription drugs, I think you could use the Steps to help with that. But when it comes down to people saying you can't take prescription drugs, or someone has to reset their sobriety date if they smoke some pot (But what if the person doesn't have a 'problem' with pot? What if they only have a 'problem' with alcohol?), telling people they can't take painkillers even with a debilitating injury...I'm not down with all that. I started going to AA because my drinking is out of control and I need help with that.

Besides, if we start saying people aren't 'sober' if they're using other (even prescription) drugs, where does it end? I see some people at meetings so jacked up on caffeine their heads are about to spend around. Nicotine? Forget it; hard-core, multiple-pack-a-day smokers. Is sugar a drug? It can change the way the mind works and it has an affect on the body.

Sorry for that little rant, but as others have said, definitely follow your doctor's advice. And see if perhaps there are other meetings at which you may fel more comfortable. Good luck to you!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

But do you acknowledge the possibility that a drug a person doesn't have a problem with could lead them back to alcohol? I nearly completely agree with you... well, except about the pot.

I like keith's post, because it is not dogmatic... it is very important what's happening with a person... the whole person. Life, work, relationships, whatever... all important in a person's journey of recovery from alcoholism.

I don't think a sponsor should play doctor and get in the middle of that relationship between patient and doctor.... BUT... I think the sponsor would have the responsibility to say... hey, um, you know those xanax pills your taking? Way addictive... Think about that... but neither should a sponsor get all apoplectic and say one isn't sober if they are using a medication as directed.... well that's MY opinion.

As Alcoholics we MUST, absolutely must, bring a higher level of caution to the table when we are considering the use of anxiolytics, narcotic analgesics, muscle relaxers, stimulants for ADHD, etc.... and for many... antihistamines, decongestants.... It is what it is
Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Wombling Free

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

I have a job interview tomorrow, I think I had better stay away from the meds till it's over....frightening, its my first one in 25 years !!! 3pm is normally the time I fall asleep till 6pm so I can't be flaking out in front of the boss at 3.30pm, can you imagine that, she's interviwing me and I'm nodding off...if it was not so serious it would be funny, could make a comedy sketch out of it. I really need this job, I have not worked for 6 years and many people ave said that my addictions increased out of boredom, so if I get it I will have some focus in my life...wish me luck
Old 07-13-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good Luck Womble!! Prayers comin your way!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Not many "Drunks" can handle the responsibility of prescription meds. Especially the good ones. Just sayin....
I think any "addict" CAN have troubles with medication. If you already have that mind set of liking to get "high", the chances of not taking advantage of that are slim.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If this is the case, I may as well not go to AA. I take a handfull of meds. 3 times a day including narcotics as needed. All prescribed by my doctor. If I were to give up all my meds. I would certainly be drinking again. I am bipolar II wit mixed episodes and have fibromyalgia as well. So I say to heck with that!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good luck
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
If this is the case, I may as well not go to AA. I take a handfull of meds. 3 times a day including narcotics as needed. All prescribed by my doctor. If I were to give up all my meds. I would certainly be drinking again. I am bipolar II wit mixed episodes and have fibromyalgia as well. So I say to heck with that!
You are an exception toomuch. But alot of us, who have an addiction problem, would find it difficult to be completely responsible with narcotics if we were giving a script for them.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I understand that snowman. I'm not comparing myself to anyone else, just my experience! Hugs!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

There is also a big difference between drugs that treat Bipolar disorder such as mood stabilisers/anti-psychotics/anti depressants (the last of which I am prescribed for Generalised Anxiety Disorder) these types of drugs are not addictive and allow the person prescribed to simply function normally, they give no "buzz" be it a high or a low. Compared to drugs like Vicodin or Xanax which give a "out of head" experience regardless of the other benefits they bring like pain relief and are also physically addictive- with drugs that have effects like these it is easy to see why we can get addicted and abuse prescriptions (as I did with Valium). That said, if your Doctor says that you should be taking them and he/she is aware that you are an addict (alcoholic), then it's your Doctor's opinion that matters :ghug3
Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Good luck Womble. I hope your interview goes well today.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Wombling Free

The interview went very well thanks, for half an hour I was the same businessman I was 6 years ago. I did not take any meds yesterday until afterwards. I portrayed an image of confidence and calm, which surprised me I must say.

I really hope I get the job, its early days, its a lowly job compared with what I was used to doing, and the money's poor, but the upside of that is that there is little or no pressure, and it would only be 20 hours a week, I could cope with that and it may give me a new lease of life, but there are many many applicants.

Problem is the owner said I was to over qualified fo the position and said I might find it hard having people telling me what to do when nobody has told me what to do in 20 years...but look where thats got me!! If I had listened to people's warnings earlier I may not have got myself in this mess. If I got it would go at it with humility and tollerance......but its all in God's hands now, I've done my best and I don't think she noticed that I was on medication...I'll just have to wait and see

Thanks for reading

Womble
Old 07-14-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good man Womble, I hope you get the job, perhaps having something else to do, will help you get you out of yourself a little and help make recovery a little smoother. Keep us posted!

-Lith
Old 07-15-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

That kind of opinion is part of why I left the program. It's utterly insane to demand that a recovering alkie abandon all prescription meds (especially without consulting a doctor). Depression and alcohol abuse often run hand-in-hand, and while the "tough it out" approach works for drinking, it does NOT work for depression.

It's important, obviously, to work with a doctor and express any concerns to him/her. I have, with my doctor's blessing, gotten off any meds that are easily abused (Xanax, Adderall) because I don't want to compromise my sobriety. My ADs, though? Those save my life. Anyone who says I'm not sober because I take Wellbutrin can go suck a duck.

While it is your sponsor's responsibility to help you along the right path, a black-and-white view of prescriptions helps no one. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably shop around for a sponsor who better understood my position.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Prescription Drugs & AA

Hi Womble

My doctor dozed off when I was talking to him about my depression one time. I thought I had better take a look at my monologue in monotone voice.

I know he was tired....had been in a group of Christian doctors over in the Middle East & got Malaria...almost died before our hospital & docs figured out what was wrong with him.

You are taking a BIG STEP....I wish you bunches of luck!!!!!

kelsh