Notices

Big scare

Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Big scare

I just drank some vodka, my throat swelled up, I couldn't breathe for a second, thought I was dying. That's what I get for not doing what I needed to do to stay sober. I can't drink water even now without coughing and choking. And I still want to drink more. Oh well, that's what I get for drinking. I should have known better. This is in God's hands now.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey suic,

Can you call a DR. go to emergency room, call a friend? Whats going on? Are you alright?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like your in a bad way. Can I help? Listen, we've all stumbled along the way . It can get better. Please try and put the Vodka down for now and get some help. We're all here to support you. You've reached out which is a very good 1st step.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exclamation Big Scare...very very dangerous

Hi Suic,

I have had a couple of friends have this happen to them & it was big time serious. You should see a doctor or Alcohol Program Manager before you take anything else with alcohol in it to drink.

I am not a professional so I want you to understand it is up to you who you see if anyone...even your doctor if you have one, or the ER doc on duty.

I am glad you came here. We are here to help anyone that wants help with our own experiences, strengths, & hope to show you that it does get better.

Kelsh
Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you're drinking still, suic.

At the turn of the year I found that I couldn't swallow anything, I would throw up anything I tried to put down, water included. It ended up that I couldn't eat solid food for almost 14 days and even forcing liquids was a massive, painful chore. Survived on Ensure liquid nutrition, lost heaps of weight, and felt about as bad as I ever had in my life.

Doctors said my esophagus was irritated, possibly damaged. It was no frikin fun mate. Not being able to eat food really, REALLY sucks.

Get to a doctor about this man, in case you are starting to damage parts of your GI tract. Here's a link to explain what booze can do to that part of your body. Alcohol and the Digestive System It's a scary read.

When this happened to me the first sign was difficulty swallowing and the feeling like my throat had closed.

Maybe it's time you started taking your body seriously? Each lesson that you get to tell you it's time to stop drinking gets progressively more painful, more dangerous, and more life threatening bro.

You're in my prayers man.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WOW I'm scared. Well I haven't drank since that last one, won't ever again. I hope I'll be able to pull thorough and not drink anymore and survive. I just hope I don't die and my condition will get better.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Suic

Any time your throat swells up, a doctor's a good idea.
I hope you'll get yourself checked out - it's better than worrying if you'll die.

D
Old 07-11-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I know someone in my AA group whose brother died by hemmoraging of the esophagus.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please get yourself to an ER and be honest about your drinking.
That is the best move for you ....

I suddenly began throwing up blood after a day
of heavy drinking. The ER gave me quick attention
and I was hospitalized 5 days with Esophageal varices.

I was bleeding internally too...did not know that.
I would have died without transfusions.

OK...so you are not vomiting blood but who knows
when it could start? You really need a medical
diagnoses to know what you just did.

Last edited by CarolD; 07-11-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Called 911, paramedics came, checked me out in the van thing, I'm fine they said. Once again my paranoid hypochondriac mind overreacts. But thank you all for the support.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You were wise....and not at all paranoid....
Glad to know you are going to be better...

Time to take your sobriety seriously
Do you have a plan?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Suic - Thankfully everything sounds ok now. Your health is now affected amongst many other things by alcohol. You need to stop drinking and you need support.

I spent the last few years of many runs to the ER for alcohol related health problems and finally I admitted I was an alcoholic and got help. It was rough but thanks to SR and counseling I am free from the beast and am in recovery.

I wish you well and hope you make the necessary changes to get a better place. You can do this. If you continue, you will physically get worse and worse. This I assure as it happened to many of us and it happened to me.

Stay strong.