Notices

Quotable Quotes

Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Quotable Quotes

Ever read a sentence or two in somebodies post that really hits home? Why not copy and patse them here for others to read. I just read one by artsoul that hit me really hard;

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Alcoholism is a disease with stages, just like cancer has. It will continue to progress if we don't stop. Drinking 24/7 is at the very, very end where people often have severe organ damage.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

my turn.... two quotes from NEO:

The future works itself out nice as long as I look after today and plant the seeds.
But the greatest rewards are the things that cannot be physically seen. These are the things which truly are priceless; Self-respect, Pride, Love, happiness, serenity, Peace of mind. The respect and love of my family again. I make my amends to them each day I am clean and sober.
And a general one:
He knows the water best who has waded through it.
Danish Proverb
Old 07-11-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From Stugotz:

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
I usually tell them I am allergic to alcohol, when I drink it I break out in handcuffs....
Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The man take a drink
The drink takes a drink
The drink takes the man
Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by Lithobid View Post
...controlled drinking is something of a myth in my opinion. If you have to control something, then isn't it already out of control?
Murray
Old 07-18-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's nothing so bad that drinking can't make it worse...
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I saved this post from Boleo:

Abstinence is not drinking and feeling bad about it.
Recovery is not drinking and feeling good about it.
I used to use alcohol to feel good about not dealing with life.
I now use life to feel good about not dealing with alcohol.
This post used a quote from my favorite book, Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp:

"Am I an alcoholic?"

When you question your alcoholism, you say to yourself: If I am an alcoholic, I shouldn't drink and if I'm not an alcoholic, I don't need to. That's a nice piece of logic.

People who aren't alcoholics do not lie in bed at two-thirty in the morning wondering if they're alcoholics...A good reality check.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stumbling Drunk

Here's some quotes from myself I try to keep in mind when I get the urge to drink...

Several exes (before breaking up with me): "Why do you have to drink so much?"

Me:
"I'm on vacation."
"I only do it after work."
"Saturday is MY time!"
"I'm NOT!"
"Join me!"
"Awww, come on, I just like a little..."
"BARF!"

Despite the humor in a couple of these, they are all painfully real to me.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Every waking moment is a chance to turn it all around.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Someone has on their signature something along the lines of :

"I've never woke up in the morning sober wishing I had drank the night before"

I LOVE that one.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This stood out to me....after the first couple of sentences, I thought it was a letter from a crazy stalker....I guess addiction can be perceived that way...

From Roxann:

Someone gave this to me last night at the NA meeting, and all I can say is wow. Please let me know how this made you feel.

Quote:
Dear Friend,
I've come to visit once again. I love to see you suffer mentally physically spiritually and socially. I want to have you restless so you can never relax. I want you jumpy and nervous and anxious. I want to make you agitated and irritable so everything and everybody makes you uncomfortable. I want you to be depressed and confused so that you can't think clearly or positively. I want to make you hate everything and everybody-especially yourself. I want you to feel guilty and remorseful for the the things you have done in the past that you'll never be able to let go. I want to make you angry and hateful toward the world for the way it is and the way you are. I want you to feel sorry for yourself and blame everything but your addiction for the way things are. I want you to be deceitful and untrustworthy, and to manipulate and con as many people as possible. I want to make you fearful and paranoid for no reason at all and I want you to wake up during all hours of the night screaming for me. You know you can't sleep without me; I'm even in your dreams.

I want to be the first thing you wake up to every morning and the last thing you touch before you black out. I would rather kill you, but I'll be happy enough if I can put you back in the hospital, another institution or jail. But you know that I'll still be waiting for you when you come out. I love to watch you slowly going insane. I love to see all the physical damage that I'm causing you. I can't help but sneer and chuckly when you shiver and shake, when you freeze and sweat at the same time, when you wake up with your sheets and blankets soaking wet.

It's amazing how much destruction I can do to your internal organs while at the same time, work on your brain, destroying it bit by bit. I deeply appreciate how much you sacrifice for me.

The countless good jobs you have sacrificed for me. All the fine friends that you deeply cared for-you gave them up for me. And what's more, for the ones you turned against yourself because of your inexcusable actions-I am more than grateful.

And especially your loved ones, your family, and the most important people in the world to you. You even threw them away for me. I cannot express in words the gratitiude I have for the loayalty you have for me. You sacrificed all these beautiful things in your life just to devote yourself completely to me. But do not despair my friend, for on me you can always depend. For after you have lost all these things, you can still depend on me to take even more. You can depend on me to keep you in living hell, to keep your mind, body and soul. FOR I WILL NOT BE SATISFIED UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD, MY FRIEND.
Faithfully yours,
Your addiction and drug of choice
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Along the same lines, I saved this from a post a while ago:

I like to constanly remind myself of the evils of alcohol.
I read this early in my quit, so sad, it motivated me to sobriety and I sometimes re-read it when I feel down. I hope it motivates you.
I am more powerful than the combined armies of the world;
I have destroyed more people than all the wars of the all the nations;
I have caused millions of accidents and wrecked more homes than all the floods, tornadoes and hurricanes put together;
I am the world's slickest thief;
I steal billions of dollars each year;
I find my victims among the rich and poor alike,
I am relentless, insidious, unpredictable;
I bring sickness, poverty and death;
I give nothing and take all;
I am your worst enemy;
I am alcohol.

RIP Raheem Bath.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's not the beginning of the end, it's the return to yourself. -Enigma
Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

One from Murrill;

Originally Posted by murrill View Post
I happened to be fortunate that I landed in an AA community that afforded me quite a bit of breathing room in coming to terms with the spirituality piece. For me it never became about believing in something as it was about having a relationship with the universe---and being comfortable with my place in that. Some days I was too big, on others I was too small & insignificant. But more & more often I was "just right."
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

RobertHugh to someone on their first day of opiate withdrawal;

Originally Posted by RobertHugh View Post
When I've gone through withdrawal (either for opiates or alcohol) I used to remind myself that every second of pain and discomfort was one less second of pain and discomfort. That each second, I was getting better. Each second, the poison was leaving my body, and my brain and nervous system was learning to do without.

That withdrawal was the body healing itself. Can you think of yourself as healing?

Conversely, I reminded myself that if I put anything back in my body (drugs or alcohol) I would immediately stop that progress, and hit "reset." And I would be forced to endure it again, and probably worse.

Yes, the lure of the short-term relief is maddening. But all it does is delay the pain, which must be paid.

So why not now? Pay it all, NOW. This time.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

My favorite quote I think I first saw posted by Boleo -

Abstinence is not drinking and feeling bad about it.
Recovery is not drinking and feeling good about it.