SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Get a pet (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/204875-get-pet.html)

Bamboozle 07-11-2010 06:21 AM

Get a pet

Please, get a pet if you don't have one. It helps. A lot.

It's nice having 'someone' to take care of. I love animals...I can't believe I've made it this long without a pet.

Toomutch 07-11-2010 06:29 AM

I agree Bam! I have three sweet dogs and I love them so much! Pet's do help in sobriety not only as something to take care of but as loyal companions. What kind of pet did you get?

Ainslie 07-11-2010 06:32 AM

I love animals but I live alone and like to take lots of spontaneous holidays! I have lots of hardy plants instead ;)

vegibean 07-11-2010 07:20 AM

Bam, I'm glad you did and it's helping. Are you going to tell us anything about him or her? I hope you'll share. :)

CarolD 07-11-2010 07:31 AM

I wish I could Bam....:)
I'm pleased that you can.

I've had Akita's and many varieties of cats in the past.
I agree....pets are great company!

My limited income won't stretch for Vet bills.
I refuse to get a pet and not take proper
medical care of it.

I've switched to a small flower garden instead.
:yup:

coffeenut 07-11-2010 07:37 AM

What did you get, Bam?

Haveaniceday 07-11-2010 08:15 AM

I love animals.

Mel8899 07-11-2010 08:47 AM

I was devastated when I had to put my baby to sleep in April. I am going on a week long cruise in August and then there will be another puppy! I can't wait, I have so much to give and really want to share it with a new puppy!

iWin 07-11-2010 08:55 AM

I'm about to get a fish, thanks for the tip...lol I know lame pet, but they sure do need you not being drunk all the time to keep em alive..

First post by the way, nice to meet you all.

Hevyn 07-11-2010 10:08 AM

I agree, Bam. Something to nurture! Fish can work - Plants can too (long as you don't get Audrey II :ugh:) I am so glad you're loving your new baby.

24hrsAday 07-11-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bamboozle (Post 2649064)
Please, get a pet if you don't have one. It helps. A lot.

It's nice having 'someone' to take care of. I love animals...I can't believe I've made it this long without a pet.

i Got Two Cats.. Both Have Attitudes.. But.. i Enjoy Them Very Much! Good Post Bam.. Thanks!:You_Rock_

vegibean 07-11-2010 10:28 AM

Bam, are you busy playing with your new friend? :D

artsoul 07-11-2010 11:26 AM

I agree - we all need a little unconditional love in our lives, and something to care about that needs us (and doesn't screw with our heads, lol!).

iWin - I think getting some fish is a great idea!! It could even turn into a little hobby. I love those pretty long-tailed goldfish and they don't need aquariums...

I tried starting a bonsai collection earlier this year and found out once again that my thumb isn't green. One lapse in watering, and I lost plants that were 7 and 8 years old. (I tend to take on projects like that, thinking "oh, this will be fun," and then finding out it's a lot more involved than I thought).

:kitty:I'll probably just stick with my 2 cats. One is a Ragdoll breed and he's amazing.

Mel8899 07-11-2010 11:38 AM

iWin, get some guppies. I bought 4 and now have over 30 fish in the tank, they reproduce like rabbits and I always have babies!!

Doodledog 07-11-2010 11:49 AM

Another idea to consider folks: Humane Societies are always in desperate need for people to foster pets until they can be adopted into a forever home. Sometimes it can be for a few weeks, sometimes longer. These groups will work with your preferences and they'll take care of vet needs while the animal is in your care. Many also will provide food.

You need to provide the love, exercise and a safe environment. It's pretty rewarding when they do go to a good home. I have a black long-haired foster kitty that's sitting next to me right now. She's a total princess kitty -- not at all happy with my golden retriever. :)

Give your local shelter a call!

ddog

Bamboozle 07-11-2010 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by vegibean (Post 2649207)
Bam, are you busy playing with your new friend? :D

:lmao

She follows me around a lot. She's so cute and loveable.

I'll post a pic, soon.

Bamboozle 07-11-2010 08:54 PM

Sorry about the poor quality...if I use flash she looks like Alien-cat:

http://img2.pict.com/d9/5d/e4/377799...ingisis008.jpg

CarolD 07-11-2010 09:15 PM

I've not encountered an Alien-cat
but that one is adorable Bam!

You are both so lucky to have each other
:yup:

sleepie 07-11-2010 10:07 PM

Adorable!!!! I am SO jealous! Happy kitty love :)

vegibean 07-12-2010 03:01 AM

OMG!!! Bam, I keep telling people that when I'm ready to get a pet, I want a cat, and I want a Siamese, so I LOVE her!!!! YOU HAVE MY CAT!!! LOL!!! She's beautiful. Congrats on your new fury little friend. :)