Notices

Get a pet

Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with the idea of fostering a shelter dog or cat. Also, most shelters are desperate for help so volunteering at a shelter can be a great substitute for actually 'owning' a pet, and can help out the shelter workers and the animals there.

So if you can't have a pet right now see about volunteering at your local shelter or SPCA. They'll really appreciate the help, as will the animals.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Nice kitten bam. I hope she/him brings you lots of sobriety and happyness.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Bam, she is getting BIG, I can see the difference from her first baby pics!

I love my 3 cats (Fandy is my avatar and he is siamese mix big boy, VERY smart), Slim is a 14 year old 25# silver tabby maine coon, and Pookie is 1/2 siamese, the nephew of Fandy, sweet and lovable.

at the end of May I adopted a rescue dog, a 4 year old purebred Pom who was neglected...he is a work in progress, just like me. Sammy is fast, loving and loyal...he also needs me to be sober to take care of him and walk him and help him chase squirrels and chipmunks.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My pets are my life, my children and the reason why i fight my addiction one day at a time.

I can't imagine that life would be worth living without animals, pets and wild.

What an absolute blessing. Unconditional love and trust. If only my two cats knew really how much I love and treasure them
Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Midnightrun, do check out the cat fanciers and dog owners threads in the user created social groups forum at the bottom of the main page. We love meeting new animal lovers!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ers-group.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...og-owners.html
Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Midnightrun, do check out the cat fanciers and dog owners threads in the user created social groups forum at the bottom of the main page. We love meeting new animal lovers!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ers-group.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...og-owners.html

I will indeed. I think I may have finally come home.....
Old 07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Midnightrun....Haveaniceday

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

AFter feeding and walking my dogs tonight I realized, again, just how much they trust me. And that inspires me to live up to their trust in me. I have a paperweight on my desk that says "my goal in life is to be the person that my dog thinks I am" and that's so accurate. If I was even half the person they think I am, I'd be near perfect. They inspire me to do my best in all things, not just caring for them - everything I do. They are my 24/7 therapy, my daily 'white chip'. I don't know what I'd do without them.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

(((Bam))) - she's adorable!!! I'm sitting here, with Elvis (the cat) beside me, eating leftover chicken and dumplings...we have spoiled furbabies in my house

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

I too agree I have 2 boy kittys and I couldn't live without them!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My dog is such a lifesaver. He's of a breed they nickname 'velcro dogs', and he doesn't like to be more than about five feet from me at any time. He has been a real source of devotion and amusement to me in the last week and a half as I start this journey. Even today, with me sick and miserable, curled up under a blanket, he's just been happily snuggling, not even grousing about going for a walk.

I remember times when, drunk and melodramatic, alone at home, I would declare to him, 'If it weren't for you, I'd probably just jump off that balcony right now.' Now, I'm pretty sure that wasn't true, that I was just being tearful and over-sensitive and that even in my darkest moments I could have scraped up enough reasons to keep going even without him. But I'm sure glad I never actually had to find out.