Notices

One Month

Old 07-11-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Month

Well, some good news, I'm still doing fine with my sobriety. My only problems are:

- It seems like it's been one year, or maybe even never, since I've had a drinking problem. I just don't think about it unless prompted (see an advertisement or somebody talk about it). I keep visiting SR just to keep it in mind.

- All that physic energy I had wrapped around drinking boomeranged and dumped into "well, now that you are sober, why isn't your life awesome?" See item above. I have to keep reminding myself it's only been 4 weeks and that's no time at all. Baby steps... baby steps.

- My social anxiety appeared last week and even shows up just sitting at home doing nothing. I'm not sure what is causing this. I'm trying different things but it's interesting that alcohol is not causing my anxiety. I thought it was, and maybe it did, and we're back to item one again. Just give it time. I need ONE YEAR, not one month.

My new idea this week is just to let it go. "Things happen in their own time". What's my hurry? I'm staying sober.

So three more months is my next goal. October is going to be a big month for me. I'm thrilled that I'll be sober to enjoy it!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One month sober is great, but yes, it is very early in your sobriety. It took time for us to get to this place and it will take time to get all the way out of it. Stay sober for today. Don't worry about tomorrow until it gets here. You sound like you're doing great! One day at a time will quickly become many days. Congrats on your sober month!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I've figured out my increased anxiety. The last week I’ve had much more caffeine and sugar (real and artificial) than usual, and I think that quitting drinking can be as stressful as drinking, maybe more so. I’ve trained my body for years to exist at a certain level of chemical pressure. It’s not going to correct itself in a month, or even three months. I’ve got a long way to go and I’m perfectly happy about that!

(floats away on green tea)
Old 07-11-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are continueing to check in and
well done on your sober time....

I don't know about your time line....but it took me about
2 months before I felt back in physical and mental balance.

Since you mentioned sugar...

I was following an eating plan for hypoglycemia
with my doctors permission. It's in the book
"Under The Influence" if you have a copy.

All my best...
Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am at 24 days and can really relate to your post. It feels like it has been so much longer than 24 days since I was drowning myself in the bottle on a nightly basis. Seems like a different lifetime most of the time.

"well, now that you are sober, why isn't your life awesome?"
I catch myself thinking that often! Ok..I am sober - let the amazing life begin....NOW. But I have also come to the same conclusion as you "Things happen in their own time." AND I remind myself of how amazing it is that I am NOT drinking every night - or thinking about drinking, or planning to drink, or hiding bottles, or running to the store to buy wine, or worrying about my health and what I am doing to it, etc... So, all the amazing life stuff hasn't happened overnight, but if I focus on how amazing it is that I am NOT drinking and how it's just the beginning (baby steps then it really helps. Congratulations on your month!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yep, least said it. One month is AWESOME...it's still very early. You're learning a lot about yourself and sobriety. Enjoy the ride....it really can be a good one!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on 1 month of sobriety!!! I can relate totally to your post. I'm finding out how impatient I am with myself and with life in general. I have alot of financial pressures right now and so I'm sure that's part of my anxiety. But I tend to want to do things "faster and better" than they can be done sometimes.

Knowing that, I just try to get back to what's going on in the moment. As long as I'm making the "next best choice" for me, I'm going to be OK. First things first, one day at a time, easy does it, and keep it simple. All those little mantras are really helpful.

It's also comforting to know I'm not the only one! Thanks for you post!!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 month! I can totally relate at 3 weeks myself. It's kind of depressing but from what everybody says it gets better. Time heals all wounds.. Have a great day!

XO
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congrats!! you are well on your way to being a healthier person :ghug3
Old 07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done and I love the positive outlook. Keeping ourselves and our feelings in check is important.

Keep it going friend!
Old 07-11-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Kings Cross

D