Notices

11 days clean and sober.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 days clean and sober.

Here's how I've done it so far:
  • I've attended 27 meetings, even with work.
  • Discovered a meeting (7:15AM, before work) with a lot of level-headed members that I actually enjoy attending.
  • Found a sponsor and called him daily.
  • Called up other members of AA when I've felt like drinking.
  • Prayed (though they're pretty vague... I'm discovering my spirituality).
  • Read SoberRecovery and other literature regarding alcoholism quite frequently.

I decided to post this as I'm dealing with a strong mental craving right now. Nothing helps quite like putting yourself out there when you're feeling this way.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your progress! I am on day 13 today, and I have a huge test ahead of me tomorrow. The way I have stayed sober has been to concentrate on my health by walking the dog 5-6 miles everyday, @ 3miles in the AM and 3 in the evening, and I have been on this site 10-20 times a day. I have sat through AA before, but it wasn't right for me, so I am also confiding in my wife more about my problem and to help keep me honest. I also walked when I was drinking heavily, but I didn't see the benefits that I am seeing now, especially the weight loss. I have dropped about 7 lbs in the last 13 days. I am also taking my supplements and vitamins. I realized that my issue is more mental than physical, and I just need to stay strong and I can do it! This site has been the biggest change in my other attempts at longtime sobriety. This place reminds me everyday to stay strong. Thank you SR!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great news - congratulations to both of you! Those early days are rough, and you deserve alot of credit for making it through. It sounds like you're both very determined and positive, not resentful the way I felt in the beginning.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I felt resentful when I was forced to be sober by the courts and by my wife in the past, the difference has been that this time has been ultimately my decision. I decided I was ready to do it for myself. I know it sounds silly, but just the fact that I am owning the decision to be sober has made all the difference. I hate people telling me what to do...in fact I found that I would drink more when someone else was laying down the law. Now I'm doing it on my terms because I want it for myself.

When it wasn't my idea, I would let my drinking friends persuade me to drink with them by bad mouthing my wife saying "what right does she have to tell you what to do, you make the money, you pay for the house, you are a good father and a successful person, you deserve a drink", that created resentment because my alcoholic mind would agree with everything they said, and I would give into the pressure. But as I said I don't like being told what to do, and if I decide I don't want to drink no amount of coaxing is going to make me.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Impressive progress.....making solid decisions about your recovery.

I too found early meetings before work trenendously helpful.

Praying for you ...a peaxeful mind and clairty...

Please come over to Alcoholism....there are 2 active
threads on cravings ....might be useful for you.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Supercrew - You make some good points. It was when I acknowledged my life was chaos that I decided to take control of it again. Others were running the show and making decisions that I needed to be making. I felt weak and vulnerable, and I wasn't willing to settle for that.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats...Hope your doing well :ghug3
Old 07-10-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! Feels good to feel good again, doesn't it?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is good stuff and way to go on your sober time. You definitely are taking the steps to stay sober and seeking the help you need which is so important. I, too came to SR whenever I felt weak or had moments where I wasn't sure if I could do it. Those moments were strong at first...but once I started laying the foundation of my recovery....things got better and better.

Remember to take it one day at a time. I have almost 3 months sobriety because I continue to focus on the day and sometimes the moment. I don't feel any desire for alcohol at this point but I do get edgy and continue to find new ways to see me through moments where I would have been chugging the bottle to get by.

Proud of ya and keep it going!!!