Notices

Vicodin

Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vicodin

I have 4 1/2 months sober. A couple of days ago I threw out my back and was prescribed vicodin for the pain along with some other anti-inflammatories, etc. I've never taken vicodin before except for my wisdom teeth when I was 14. I'm taking the vicodin exactly how it was prescribed and even less than suggested dose. My therapist told me today I would have to turn my clock back to 0- I'm really hurt by this and don't know what to think!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just my opinion but I think your therapist is a bit too tough on the 'tough love' thingy. If you're taking them as directed, even less that that, and don't abuse them I'd say you're just fine with your sobriety. Be careful that you don't become dependent on them but I'd ignore your therapist's unhelpful 'advice' and keep on keepin' on.

Welcome to the SR family!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Rosedove,

As long as you're taking them as prescribed, you're not abusing them to escape from reality; vicodin is obviously not your DOC (drug of choice) since you last took them when you were 14 years old.

So unless you're not still 14, taking them as prescribed for back pain is not considered a relapse (imho).

Your therapist's behavior seems to be that of a hardliner AA sponsor and even a sponsor's role is to make suggestions and guide you through the steps. Period.

My counselor saved my life. He didn't do it by shaming me, that's for sure. Some people need and prefer the hard-ball method to sobriety. Not me. I wasn't coddled either. It was a great balance of mutual respect and trust.

Congrats on your 4.5 months! Stay the course and find another therapist who is more encouraging if you have to. They can make all the difference in the world.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My opinion is that you are taking a prescribed medication for an injury and that is not involved with your sobriety.

Don't allow the hurt you're feeling to get you down!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Just another persons opinion. Do YOU think you have to start over? Are you abusing vicodin? Do you consider it a relapse? Therapists, sponsors, etc.. are very important but ultimately it's up to you to decide. Intent and using as prescribed vs. abusing are key in this scenario.

For arguments sake, let's say you do decide to start your day count over. What difference does that make? How do you feel today? How is your life going? That's what's important. I'm not minimizing clean time though. It's critical to be able to have the lives we want as only through long term recovery do we truly change. But it your case, if you're not abusing the stuff i'd think that nothing has changed internally.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you all for your replies! This website is so awesome and I'm so happy I found it! The ironic part of all this is that even though I'm taking vicodin I would never know it because I feel so normal- in fact I still have pain! So I'm definitely not getting high on it. I was only prescribed 15 pills total so I'll be off it in no time. But when my therapist said that to me I felt as though I was having one of my drunk dreams...where I'm thinking "oh my gosh what have I done to my sobriety!" I know it's all about today but I cherish the 4.5 months I have and I felt like it was being taken away without me knowing it! Thank u all for your replies it means the world to me.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

using medicatin for injuries like they are supposed to is not relapsing....

using medication as an escape from yourself and reality, now that is relapsing,

don't take the therapist too serious, she/he proberly read somewhere that this was the time for to be tough..
Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

No idea why it's any of your therapist's business as to the medications your'e taking for medical reasons, according to doctors orders. However, due to my addiction issues I am always upfront with any doctors/dentists about prescribing non-narcotic medications. We can tolerate a WHOLE lot more pain than we think we can
Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Do you otherwise feel your therapist is pointing you in the right direction. I'm my opinion that stance speaks to poor training/ or a confused perspective. If you are not taking them to get high, you are fine. Know that it is a drug of abuse though and taking it may awaken some demons (even as prescribed). That stance seem stone age and some people still adhere to a struck no mindaltering substance stance. Maybe confront him/her on their reasoning and respectfully disagree. Sometimes it's good to blindly put faith in others early on as our recovery gains traction, but a more important part is where you're at; actually questioning others for valid reasons. Great place here at SR to vet this kinda stuff out.... Best of luck, hmmm missing vicoprophen and ghetto beer (not really).
Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I had my gall bladder removed in March.. and took vicodin for a few days for the pain. As soon as the pain was tolerable, I threw them out. I would just do what YOU feel is best, it's your recovery..