Notices

New here .. hello

Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here .. hello

This is my very first post. I have been lurking a little bit but realized it was time I said something. Im 33 years old and am an alcoholic. Im not the person who drinks everyday or by myself but I drink beyond all control almost every weekend. I never touched alcohol until college and then I met my new best party friend.

I considered myself a "social drinker" and used to life the problem was, I was always social. I can't seem to control any of my decisions I make after I start drinking. I have amassed all sorts of legal problems and am in fact just arrested for a 2nd DWI. I always though Im not hurting anyone. But 2 DWIs? its clear I am endangering many.

I always believed I was in control but the reality is I never had control. Alcohol was my social escape plan to make me loosen up. My friends would say I drank too much and acted like an idiot but I just shrugged it off because I would say, "you get drunk too and act crazy."

Denial was my biggest problem because I never believed I had a problem. I just felt I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. My stupidity has led me to where I am. But I found hope in the darkness of what I have done. I attended my first AA class two days ago and have made 2 since. Walking in there took everything I had but I basically sat there and just cried.

I am now focused on leaving my old life behind and with help and the power of Jesus I believe I can move on. My daily battle is just letting go. I have been partying like I was 21 for almost 12 years now. Im very afraid as I realize I need to cut ties with all those people who encourage me to drink. Ive always been afraid of the unknown but I guess the reality that giving God control means he will take care of things.

Change is a process not an event.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've come to the right place! Welcome to SR. You can do this!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR hearnerules.

I was the eternal teenager too. I didn't want to give it up - but I'm glad I did now.
I was missing out on so much.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad that you are here seeking support.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're here, hearnerules! I think that's one of the hallmarks of alcoholism: once we take that first drink, we don't want to stop. I spent years trying to drink without consequences and finally realized it just wasn't going to happen!

Keep strong and hang onto your faith!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome! It is scary..but so worth it, I promise.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! I'm glad you're making positive changes. Living sober really rocks!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I found a whole group of new party people.........
in the fellowship of AA.

"We are not a glum lot" is a bit from our text book
Alcoholics Anonymous....also called the Big Book.

AA members do all sorts of fun things otside of meetings.
You will find sober does not mean dull....

Glad you are here....Welcome....

BB quote.1st Edition
Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

Welcome welcome welcome

Whew, 12 years is a long time - but think about how smart getting sober is now, instead of even another year later? It's never a good idea to pick up a drink, but it's always a good idea to spend another hour sober. Your future self will be very happy you decided to stick around and post here.

Blessed be,
WW
Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Welcome! 12 years wasted is better than 25 years like myself. Good for you, for wanting to get sober now, it will be the best thing you've ever done and I only have 17 days sober! Just wait..sobriety feels so much better than drunk or hungover! Post and read here everyday it really makes a HUGE difference!

XO