Notices

Hello everyone!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

Ive decided to get sober and probably wont make it on my own. I figured id introduce myself. Im 20 years old, and im an alcoholic. Im a binge drinker. So far, i have 1 day sober and im hoping to turn this into a loooooong time. Ive been drinking since i was 16, and i got real bad when i was 17 binge drinking for months on end taking 1 day breaks every now and then. I stopped binge drinking for 2 weeks after i went through some withdrawals that forced me to quit my job when i was 18 and sure enough started drinking again. although only until recently ive been slowing down (staying sober for 5 days consecutively at a time), i want to stop completely. I simply cannot advance in my life if im always drinking. I always neglect responsibilities when i drink and the withdrawals are so scary that i just dont want to face them anymore. Well there you have it, feel free to contact me via PM or reply to this thread, im a nice person and usually give out good advice. However i would appreciate any help anyone can offer me on how to make quitting a bit easier. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Postedonedge,

Firstly, well done on recognising you are an alcoholic at such a young age. You have such a bright future ahead of you and you are right, alcohol will simply get in the way of that.

The best help/advice I could give you is to encourage you to keep posting here on SR. It has become a family to me, and I know I speak for others who feel the same way. I don't use any other programs except SR and it has helped me keep sober for 3 months now.

THe other advice I would give is that if you are having trouble coping with withdrawal, it would probably be wise to seek medical advise.

Welcome to SR. I look forward to sharing your journey
Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The pressure to drink at that age is enormous, and you're not even legal yet. Look, I'm 39. Don't end up like me 20 more years down the road. You're young enough to put and end to it. If you are having this early reaction to booze then chances are things are going to get worse if you continue drinking. Good thing is you can catch this early, and nip it in the bud. Consider you've already been there done that, you've seen the results.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozgoddess View Post
Hi Postedonedge,

Firstly, well done on recognising you are an alcoholic at such a young age. You have such a bright future ahead of you and you are right, alcohol will simply get in the way of that.

The best help/advice I could give you is to encourage you to keep posting here on SR. It has become a family to me, and I know I speak for others who feel the same way. I don't use any other programs except SR and it has helped me keep sober for 3 months now.

THe other advice I would give is that if you are having trouble coping with withdrawal, it would probably be wise to seek medical advise.

Welcome to SR. I look forward to sharing your journey
First congratulations on your 3 months of sobriety. thank you for the warm welcome and i really do hope to become more familiar with all of you and look forward to getting to know you all and helping in anyway i can. also yeah your right cheese, especially cause im turning 21 in a couple months and EVERYONE is gonna expect me to drink (given the reputation ive built myself) im just gonna need to detach myself from those people i guess.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=keepcominback;2644741]
Originally Posted by postedonedge View Post
Ive decided to get sober and probably wont make it on my own.

And the good news is you don't have to make it on your own! There is so much support here at SR, and other places for a person such as yourself when they seek sobriety.

Congratulations, and welcome!

Come visit us at the AA 12 step forum if you are interested in AA. Look up a meeting in your local area, and go! I am a member, and it helps me to belong to a group of people that are sober!
yeah im not exactly sure how the 12 steps work, but ill be sure and check em out and start getting this ball rolling and get my life back together.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and that you have decided to live a sober life.

You'll find lots of support and inspiration here.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! I stay sober with a combination of some AA meetings, my weekly counseling sessions, and a lot of time spent on this site. As to staying sober - one day at a time works for me. After all, we only get to live one day at a time so why not stay sober just for today? Then when tomorrow becomes today, do it again. Works for me!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the SR family! I stay sober with a combination of some AA meetings, my weekly counseling sessions, and a lot of time spent on this site. As to staying sober - one day at a time works for me. After all, we only get to live one day at a time so why not stay sober just for today? Then when tomorrow becomes today, do it again. Works for me!
thats GREAT advice. havnt heard that before. thanks for the welcome
Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR postedonedge

D
Old 07-06-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi postedonedge - Good for you for deciding to take your life back now. It definitely doesn't get any better if we keep drinking. Keep posting and reading - there's alot of good information and advice here.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

when you search AA meetings look for a young peoples meeting. You'll be shocked at how many people your age or younger are sober and enjoying a much less stressful life. Welcome!
nn