Notices

One month down

Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One month down

The little things in life really seem to be more enjoyable . While drinking I never really enjoyed food as much or ate any junk food. Now I actually find myself buying candy bars , just never craved them before.

Some days are really hard . My life was centered around drinking and drugs , so there's a big space that's not filled in yet . Overall feel much better , really scared by how my thought processes completely change when in certain situations however. I'm very passionate about quitting yet put me next to some event with beer around and I start thinking about drinking like its not even a bad thing. It's getting a bit easier but I think it's best to just stay away for now. I've always been quite reserved when sober and alcohol has helped put me in a place of isolation . Being sober and alone is pretty rough , but at least there's a possibility of good things happening compared to the nightmare of drinking.

It's great to come here and relate to others and read everyone's experiences. It really helps me focus and keep it all in perspective. Thank you all for fighting the good fight , makes it seem easier to not be alone.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

It's great to come here and relate to others and read everyone's experiences.
..well it's great to read of your 1 mth success....Oz..
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your month Time Drain

D
Old 07-06-2010, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Congrats TD.

When you'll start getting your emotional sobriety and maturity sobriety you won't feel so alone anymore. I remember a line I heard early on: If you're not as having as much fun (or more) in your sobriety as you were when you were drinking.......you're in grave danger of going back out again. Fear of going back out shifted my willingness to let a whole lot of other stuff go (in addition to just the drinking). I was surprised that the more stuff I "turned over" the better I felt. I really didn't that that one would work for me. heh.

good job so far! a full months is a long time.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

TimeDrain - you're doing it - & we're very proud of you. I agree, belonging to this community keeps us from feeling alone and isolated. No one else in my world understood where I'd been or what I was going through trying to get well.

The times I've been tempted since quitting, I've come here to read some of my old posts. It brings it all back - the desperation I once felt. I never have to go back there again, & neither do you.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thats great i havnt been sober for one month since i was 16. im hoping to hit that this month
Old 07-06-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!! Way to go! When I was 15 days sober I had the same thing with candy bars! Eat em up!!! They are delish!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you TimeDrain, and I had to stay away from alcohol for a long time too, before I felt comfortable.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on reaching a month sober! I think you're smart to stay away from situations and events where alcohol is available. I wish you continued success and happiness.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi TD!! Welcome to SR!! and Congrads to you on your 1 month!! the months will just fly by for you...I'm coming up to 6 months, and I'm feeling like I have never drank before.....(and nor do I want to) The cravings for sweets is normal, that will calm down abit as your sobriety days increase..I still have cravings but not like the first month or two!! Have you gone to your doctor?? always a good idea to get a check up when we are in our first few months of sobriety...

All the best to you TD!! looking forward to hearing more from you!!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol is made up of sugar and that's more than likely why you crave it now.

Congratulations on 1 month, thats awesome!

I had to change my play ground too. Even though I have been sober for 2 1/2 years I had to leave a BBQ on the 4th, because the enormous emonts of alcohol they were drinking was making me very uncomfortable.

Hang in there, you're doing great!