Notices

Day 5

Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Still can't sleep. Went to bed early at 10:30 pm woke up at 2:30. Kids were at their mom's, me being a single guy first thought that jumped in my head was bar. Fought the impulse crashed out and then there I was 4 hours later up for the next day. I'm not 100 percent sure but I think the birds were laughing at me this morning when the sun came up.

I've ranged from 2-6 hours sleep in the last 4 days and I've worked 40. Today I get to work 15 hours (planned because I knew the kids wouldn't be there, ya know fight tempation)

Suggestions, thoughts, ideas.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Good for you for getting through 4 days!

Just try to remember that it takes time to turn our bodies around. I had sleeping problems long before I started drinking, then drinking made things worse, and now I still struggle with insomnia. But, many people find their sleep patterns become normal within a couple of weeks.

Make sure that you are getting some exercise!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lack of sleep is common in early sobriety. In a few more days you'll be sleeping like crazy. Just hang in there and don't drink.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia is a part of the deal for a lot of us.
Some of these have helped me Jeff.
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

It's pretty usual for day 5 - I spent a week or so like this.

It does get better - and better....I very very rarely have sleeping problems now and I was a chronic insomniac for 10 years....

If it's really bothering you, please see your doctor and explain the situation to them.
D
Old 07-04-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on day 5! The insomnia is really frustrating, I know. But when you do start sleeping well, it will be a much better sleep than the one alcohol gives us. My insomnia started getting better after about a week and by two weeks, I was sleeping well.

I have to qualify this by saying that I take something every night that helps me and it's not addictive (infact it works with my antidepressant). So there are real options out there.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there it will get better. When I was going through it my insomnia was awful but I kept telling myself every night the following:

- At least I am laying here resting my body instead of drunk and my body fighting to stay alive

- My body and organs are all resting while I lay still trying to sleep-healing and becoming healthy

- My mind is focusing on other things like experiencing sobriety and not being dulled by alcohol and drugs

- I know its going to get better and the BEST SLEEPING days are ahead of me

I know its nasty but try and get through it. Remember-your body is healing and if you think of it in a positive light its easier to get through. And trust me-once it all clicks you will be sleeping the night away and waking up feeling like a champ. I tried simple things like drinking decaf tea, decaf coffee etc. No eating a couple hours before bed, low sugar before bed etc. and it worked pretty well. If you find you are totally awake, hop on to SR-its a great way to keep your recovery rolling and it makes you tired when its 3AM and you have to be up early in the morning.

Oh and mine took about 4 weeks before it went away. Its different for everyone though so keep that in mind. I was a daily drinker for 10 years and can honestly say that every night for the last 4 years I was passing out versus falling asleep so it took me a little while to learn how to do that again.

All the best
Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
HFA

Im on day 7 and I am starting to sleep a little better. Still takes me a little while to fall asleep, but its restful sleep and I only wake up once or so a nite now. I do take melatonin some nites before bed (maybe 3 times a week).

Hang in there, I think it keeps getting better.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah melatonin and valarian root are 2 OTC supplements a lot of people swear by. You can also buy some teas that may help.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The good news is now ITS DAY 6!!! I actually slept 8 hours last night. Feel great. Looking forward to tonight when I get off work take a day off and chill with my childens.

I will admit, when I got off work last night I wanted a beer more than I've ever wanted anything in my life. As luck would have it there was none in the house and too late to buy. Little bit of looking out by the man upstairs me thinks.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting to day 6 Jeff!! Welcome to SR!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
HFA

way to hang in there.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HIgby442 I like your post and this really works for me. Telling myself there is nothing majorly wrong and I'm in a much safer position than if I was passed out. Even if you aren't sleeping much, at least you are resting your body and mind. This kind of decreases anxiety a bit, and you're safe to say no one ever died from a few missed hours sleep, or even a whole night or two.