Notices

Recovered is...

Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Recovered is...

When I was a little kid, my grandparents would give me those Peanuts books... Happiness is... Security is... And a picture of a satisfied Charlie Brown or Lucy or Pigpen... And some cutesy saying....

Wanna play?

Recovered is... Being at a music festival with your favorite bands... Everyone around you drinking, and other stuff, and passing by the beer garden on the way to the ice cream tent for a double scoop of cherry vanilla on a hot sunny day in Maine... And... Not... Missing... A... Thing, in fact, you have all you could want at that moment.

Never thought I'd be able to say that and really mean it!

Your turn... Keep it simple and fun
Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
HFA

For me RECOVERING is..

Being honest with my SO, sharing my struggle and being open about how hard its. Not having to pretend that I am someone I am not.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mergirl

Recovered is: Being at a big, beautiful house on a hill in paradise, watching fireworks, surrounded by dozens of people who love me and I love back, eating good food, sharing laughter and stories and hugs

all of us fully present, totally sober

Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Recovering for me, tonight, would be to get 8 straight hrs of sleep. I have not had that in 10 months.

XO

15 days
Old 07-05-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Recovered is living life happy, joyous and free...being able to do what i want, when i want, with who i want, where i want without fear...
Old 07-05-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Recovery is having a healthy attitude towards my life and my place in the world and living life on life's terms.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Recovery is: Not understanding, in my early days of sobriety, why everyone kept talking about gratitude in AA. Some 9 months later, I totally get it.

ddog
Old 07-05-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doodledog View Post
Recovery is: Not understanding, in my early days of sobriety, why everyone kept talking about gratitude in AA. Some 9 months later, I totally get it.

ddog
Lol, been two years sober for me of being completely and totally confused and sometimes annoyed by the word gratitude being slung around AA. 3 days ago I woke up grateful. I think I get it just a bit:-)
Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Being able to see and appreciate God's presence in a group of trees, a family on a walk, in the hearts of people in my life and within myself.

Being willing to try to work through problems rather than instantly looking for the sneaky way around it.

Not living the actor's life that I used to where I was always trying to be everyone and everything that I thought the people in my life wanted me to be. Being recovered, I can accept myself (my good and bad) and don't have to live a lie anymore.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recovery is watching my beautiful daughter holding onto my little grandson, and coming down the slide in the playground.
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Recovered is: having choices today in living my own personal life as i may now choose without fears of wrecking it wasted and drunk. There is a great life after alcoholism!
  # 12 (permalink)  

recovered is for me.....having a houseful of your son's friends over for the 4th. putting up with the shenanigans of 17 year old boys until midnight and then getting up at 5:30 to take them to church to get on busses to go to church camp.

and not feeling like shite......

in the past (one year ago) i would have been passed out by 7:30 on the sofa from drinking vodka all day. i would have felt terrible this morning dropping him off. resentful that i had to get up early....and hoping that i didn't smell too much like a distillery in a church parking lot.

i like my new version better.

david.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Recovered is...being awake to things as they really are and not what an alcohol-fueled, numbed-down mind wants them to be.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Recovered is: not having to worry about the status of my liver.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Recovery for me is NOT being out until 2.30am having been thrown out of a club, fighting with strangers, calling my long-suffering boyfriend names and abusing him, being refused entry to a taxi and waking up having no idea what happened after 10.30pm.

Recovery is being out until 2.30am eating great food, laughing, dancing, being relaxed, happy and able to look around and notice how nice the evening is, with my boyfriend's arm around me squeezing me tight cos he is happy to be in my company. Being able to enjoy everyone else's tipsyness and good cheer without ruining it with my being paraletic, waking up with a clear head and pride in myself.

Recovery for me is understanding that my 2nd story is far better than my 1st one, and that I'll never have "just 1 or 2" drinks like all the other smiling faces at 2.30am. Acceptance is the answer
Old 07-05-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile

Recovering for Me Means- i Get The Real Me Back! it's a Good Place To Start! Thanks..
Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
When I was a little kid, my grandparents would give me those Peanuts books... Happiness is... Security is... And a picture of a satisfied Charlie Brown or Lucy or Pigpen... And some cutesy saying....

Wanna play?

Recovered is... Being at a music festival with your favorite bands... Everyone around you drinking, and other stuff, and passing by the beer garden on the way to the ice cream tent for a double scoop of cherry vanilla on a hot sunny day in Maine... And... Not... Missing... A... Thing, in fact, you have all you could want at that moment.

Never thought I'd be able to say that and really mean it!

Your turn... Keep it simple and fun
Mark....is it possible that you've been at the Nateva Festival in Oxford? I'm just leaving there myself. I found that I was still able to judge the quality of the pot by the aroma....but that's the only thought that occurred to me. and the ice cream was excellent....so was the lemonade.

I realized I was "recovered" rather than "recovering" when I finally noticed that I had no thought or feelings, either pro or con, about drugs or alcohol...no more than dirt or bleach. It had ceased being a dialogue in my mind, and that includes instances (like this weekend) when I was enjoying my hippie roots and watching some very wacked out folks singing Grateful Dead lyrics and having a swell time. I loved the joy and spirit...and have really no judgment about the use of substances....other than my own preference to enjoy happiness and joy as a self-chosen, inner state. I had a wonderful time watching people having a wonderful time. I was really impressed with the reincarnation of the hoola hoop in psychedelic color<G>.

Although....I was disappointed in "Flaming Lips."

blessings
zenbear
Old 07-05-2010, 07:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Remembering everthing, being present. Not having to worry and fret over what I may or may not have said or done to humilate myself.

Knowing I'm not alone nor will I ever be again thanks to my HP. Loving sunny days again. Loving myself again.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My destiny... (fingers crossed)
Old 07-05-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Recovery is freeing!