Notices

Class of July 2010

Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I haven't had any real cravings for a drink, more the occasional knee jerk habitual thought pattern...when those happen, I just recall in vivid detail the dry heaves I had after my last day drinking and I'm pretty good!
EEEW-YUCK! Hold and cherish that memory

One thing I am wondering is that are they drinking more than usual or am I just noticing it more because I am sober...or maybe they are drinking more because it is a special weekend.
I'm the lone heavy drinker amongst all our friends, and when I went to a dinner party last week I was SHOCKED to notice that it took them 90 minutes to drink a beer! Who knew! I'd never noticed before because I used to outpace them three or four to one.

Anyway, not only am I not drinking but the things that used to upset me about my family dynamics seem to be easier to deal with, I am not letting them get to me this time.
You, my friend, are the calm in the storm

Murray
Old 07-25-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
EEEW-YUCK! Hold and cherish that memory
LOL...what a memory to cherish! The family went out on errands, leaving me alone in the house...so instead of drinking I am having a piece of ice cream cake from last night.

Just to remind myself, I took a good long whiff of the open wine, it smelled awful, don't know why or how I've been drinking this stuff for so long!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi all! Checking in at day 20! Tomorrow is 3 weeks. How exciting!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Day Nine. All going well so far. I think I'll start a wee exercise programme tomorrow. Healthy body, healthy mind and all that....
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

24 days

Less than a week and then it's off to the less than 90 days thread...time is flying by now!!!!!!

Murray
Old 07-28-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Day 20

I'm on day 20 and actually feeling worse that the first couple weeks. I sleep all the time and just feel really empty and depressed. I know I'm doing the right thing by quitting but... When will that light come on? The sudden realization that I am better? SOrry for being such a downer, I just don't understand. When do I get this boost in energy? This sudden love of life? The weight loss? I find myself spending less time with my family than I used to because I feel like I have to sleep all the time. I feel less functional.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Day 20

I'm on day 20 and actually feeling worse that the first couple weeks. I sleep all the time and just feel really empty and depressed. I know I'm doing the right thing by quitting but... When will that light come on? The sudden realization that I am better? SOrry for being such a downer, I just don't understand. When do I get this boost in energy? This sudden love of life? The weight loss? I find myself spending less time with my family than I used to because I feel like I have to sleep all the time. I feel less functional.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FailPolish View Post
Hey FP, I am sorry you are having a rough go of it...are you doing any counseling or meetings? Sleeping all the time is a sign of depression, it might be a good idea to see a therapist. I'm glad you are sticking with sobriety despite everything.

Best of luck!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I see a cognitive behaviorist counselor weekly and I've been on Prozac for over a month. Something is just not clicking for me. When did you have that breakthrough moment? I know 20 days is still early so maybe it's normal to feel so lost.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

From what I gather from SR everyones early recovery is different, maybe try to view these early dificulties as a learning experience, its giving you tools for future use. I am sure things will improve soon. This is my, I'm not exactly sure, but around 50th attempt at sobriety, I've read a laot of books about the power of positive thinking, which might be why I have been pretty positive right from the momen I poured that bottle of wine down the sink.

Maybe try meditating on love? Start with the love you feel for your family then turn it inwards...it probably sounds silly but it really works for me:-)
Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I uploaded every picture of my 8 month old ever taken on my iPod so when I feel weak I can just watch the slide show of my angel growing up. It really does keep my resolve strong. I think maybe I'm expecting an OMG moment that may never come. Thank you for talking to me. You're right, I'm going to stay positive. Sleepy but positive!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

You know, I just had a thought about your exhaustion. Perhaps it is just your bodies way of healing? Do you feel up to doing any gentle stretching...it might get some endorphins going, which might make you feel better:-)

I don't know that there is a lightning bolt moment. Just a day by day feeling better kind of thing for me.

Congrats on your baby...boy or girl?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

On Day 11 now. This is a hard one. Because of my compressed workweek schedule, Wednesday mornings are my end of work week (my Friday night...). Usually hit the bar with folks from work, but came home instead. Doing okay so far though, and making something to eat then straight to bed. Taekwondo class tonight, so one more reason not to be hungover!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Im on my 8th day. 1 week sober today and no worries yet. Have been here before so I know what to look out for this time!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

On my 3rd day. Very grateful to be feeling a bit better today. I joined SR originally at the end of May but have found it difficult to maintain my sobriety past abt. 7 days or so. I am going to take the advice given by the wonderful members here and will do things differently this time.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to see every one hanging in there

My breakthrough moment wasn't until 90 days or so - I'd done a lot of drinking for a very long time - I think it took at least that for me to start thinking beyond basic healing of mind or body.

Hang in there guys
D
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
at peace

Class of July 2010 take two. If at first you don't succeed. Well at least it's still July 2010. Every time I reach 10 days. It's back to square one all over again. I really like being sober so much better.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
at peace

Thanks class. Appreciate all your help. I guess most are so much into them selves they can't think of anyone else....good luck....no help for me ..I'll leave now....
Old 07-29-2010, 11:48 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Day 28 here. Starting to struggle. The temptation to have 'just one wine' (which I know I can do) is really high.

I feel like I'm isolating myself a bit to give sobriety the best chance (most of my friends who would be free to hang out on a Friday night are drinkers) and I'm feeling bored and a bit lonely. There's a birthday party just up the road that some of my friends are going to, and the birthday boy is cute and single but I just don't think I should go because I know I will really want to have a drink (large group situations make me anxious), so I am lying on my couch wondering if rewatching a Blue Planet DVD is interesting enough to merit getting up and finding it in the cupboard. Apathy feels like my strongest ally right now.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Larkspur View Post
Day 28 here. Starting to struggle. The temptation to have 'just one wine' (which I know I can do) is really high.

I feel like I'm isolating myself a bit to give sobriety the best chance (most of my friends who would be free to hang out on a Friday night are drinkers) and I'm feeling bored and a bit lonely. There's a birthday party just up the road that some of my friends are going to, and the birthday boy is cute and single but I just don't think I should go because I know I will really want to have a drink (large group situations make me anxious), so I am lying on my couch wondering if rewatching a Blue Planet DVD is interesting enough to merit getting up and finding it in the cupboard. Apathy feels like my strongest ally right now.

Keep at it. 28 days good work can be undone in a second. It isn't worth it - it leads to sh*t. I was on day 53/54 when I caved and instantly regretted it. The addict in me meant that it was two months before I got the urge to give sobriety a proper chance again, though. You'll feel much better for it tomorrow if you ride out the storm today.