Class of July 2010

Old 07-17-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jeb, Welcome!

I hope all the July group is thriving.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 4 for me, and two things in particular are working for me right now.

First, I ask myself how a person who doesn't have an alcohol problem would think and react in any given situation. Would they drink? When I think about it, I'm discovering the answer is pretty much no, they wouldn't drink.

Second, because I'm not brave enough yet to think about never ever drinking again, I tell myself that I don't have to drink Now, because I can always drink "Later," (and life is just an endless series of Nows - see what I'm getting at?).

And, if I need a little extra boost, I sneak in a third - I pretend I'm training to be a fitness model and they almost never drink because of their super-clean diets.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MTWildflower View Post
Day 4 for me, and two things in particular are working for me right now.

First, I ask myself how a person who doesn't have an alcohol problem would think and react in any given situation. Would they drink? When I think about it, I'm discovering the answer is pretty much no, they wouldn't drink.

Second, because I'm not brave enough yet to think about never ever drinking again, I tell myself that I don't have to drink Now, because I can always drink "Later," (and life is just an endless series of Nows - see what I'm getting at?).

And, if I need a little extra boost, I sneak in a third - I pretend I'm training to be a fitness model and they almost never drink because of their super-clean diets.
A fourth could be that you don't wanna drink because your Sober Count will go down. I'm competitive so I hate it when I lose days that I haven't drank.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hello, July 2010 Cohort! I joined the class on July 15th, when I had my last drink in the early evening and called my folks to say I was done dancing this dance.

The meds have been helpful, but today I got really irritable...so, I went for a run...even though I did not feel good and it has helped.

And, let me tell you chamomile tea is doing wonders for helping me relax and get into mind for sleep.

Keep fighting friends!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to July, RTR! I drink a lot of chamomile tea myself in the evenings to wind down at the end of the day. It helps.

Good job to all starting their sober journey this month!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello Class of July

Have been looking out for this thread and glad that I found it, am sober since the 1st of July so am on day 18 now, feel great...really great. I am an endless relapser who for the last 15 years have told myself every morning that I will not drink today...15 years. Well, this time I hope and plan to stick with this group!

Good luck everyone and hope to see you around :-)
Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Developing new habits, like drinking chamomile tea and exercising are all good ways to help you in your recovery.

It's good to see you all doing well!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi friends! Thanks for the support!

Anna, I love your cats! I had a Siamese growing up. I currently have a gorgeous 5 year old Persian female. Will share her when I get the chance. Is it funny that part of this decision is I want to be around to take care of her, too?

She actually has been in the bedroom with me this whole weekend as I have "detoxed." She normally sleeps in the living room at night and my bedroom during the day...but, she has not let me out of her sight. She is on the floor by the bed right now. Pretty perceptive cat!

But, proud to say I ran (and walked) 2 miles tonight outside. It felt great and painful. And, now I am typing in bed with tea by my side the sound of the fan going the lights of the city twinkling outside the window...things I would have normally missed...I think I will enjoy turning going to bed into a peaceful ritual.

Cheers!

RTR
Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Dear all

Woke up with the feeling of a need to share a bit of how I got here into the group of July, perhaps like a diary or something... I have been drinking for 15 years now, almost every single day since I was 19 with exceptional stops in between only when alcohol was not available to me. I have been pretty good at hiding it, my family and close friends know I have a fancy for red wine but due to my job where I live abroad and travel extensively they have never really gotten the whole picture and I have also isolated myself in my drinking, I will go out to a party and drink as normal people only because I have a bottle waiting at home where I can finally get really drunk all by myself and out of sight.

I have endangered myself quite a bit in my drinking, being passed out and out of control in very dangerous parts of the world oblivious to my surroundings and every miserable morning, every morning for 15 years I have told myself not today, no drinking today but come evening it is just me and my bottle (s). A few times I have been able to stop for a short while, unhappy, miserable and depressed, using all my willpower to get through the evening without alcohol but I always returned to my escape of alcohol.

My bottom came by the end of June this year, I went on a holiday for 10 days, deliberately alone for the only purpose of drinking, I checked into a 5 star hotel in one of the most beautiful places in the world and I closed myself in my room and I drank for 8 days and nights straight, I did not see my surroundings I did not enjoy the beauty, I just drank, alone and isolated in my room. I woke up on day number 9 and just cried, just felt so miserable and disgusted and fed up, fed up with the way I live my life, the waste and the senselessness of it all. I made myself and my HP a promise, no more, this ends here. I walked out to the beach and around the gardens, despite the poison seeping out of my body I felt good, I felt free. It has been 19 days now, there is no misery, no depression and no willpower, just freedom, just a certainty that I never ever want to be in that place again, I never want to wake up on day 9 and feel like that.

Although only 19 days so far I feel like a new person, I look good, I feel good, I am passionate about my work and I am planning for what I want to do with my life and how I want to live it. I really have no idea what I want to do, the only thing I know is that I want to live sober, for ever and ever and relish in this feeling every day, the feeling of being free and sharing my life with others, my wonderful family and friends and hopefully one day a man to share my life with as well now that I don’t have to hide my secret any more. Sobriety is the most beautiful blessing I have ever felt in my life.

Have been coming here on and off since February and the support from this community is amazing, it really thought me that I am not alone in this, alcoholism is the same for so many wonderful people and it can be overcome, I have learnt that here, it took me a while to really understand it but I do now, thank you all.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Limbo75, thanks so much for the encouraging story! It is great to hear you are doing so well! I can totally relate to the "putting on a good front" idea in front of family and friends. I would do the same thing...hang out, maybe drink, maybe not drink. But, I knew I had a bottle back at home, or in my hotel room, or in my guest room in their cottage, etc. And, then when everyone went to bed, I would go grab a glass, fill it with ice, get in bed and drink and drink and drink. I am only 4 days 5 hours sober, but already I feel better and already I am wondering how on my 15 year journey into alcohol I got to that point. But, so glad you have seen the light, the way out. I am glad for my own new sight. You make me want to see how I will feel at day 19 now. I can't wait! PS. Not sure what an HP is ( I know it as steak sauce from England I love to put on french fries. :-) But, glad you could tell them! I told my parents, my girlfriend, my supervisor, and my two doctors so far and of course everyone on here, although if my folks really named me RunningTheRace that would have been funny. But, it feels an appropriate moniker on here and certainly explains where I am at. So, cheers, friend and keep up the wonderful work!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Entering my third year today.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I was in the March group but alcohol and I conspired to get me transferred to this one. Day Two.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 2 today. Pretty bored, about 5 AM here (I'm on a night schedule due to work). I dont want a drink or anything though. I've mostly been reading quite a bit to keep busy. Not hungover, which is good. Heard some folks partying across yard of the apartment complex last night. Doesnt bother me, cause I'm up all night anyway, but was kind of odd to listen to them while I was sober, heh.... Drunk people are loud, lol!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 6 here, and now that I'm feeling better it's tempting to think that there's nothing wrong with me.

And there is nothing wrong with me *as long as I don't drink*.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 2....feeling kinda weird

Ok...I have been stalking this site for a while...I mean...in a good way. I am on day 2....after a 10-12 HUGE glasses of wine daily habit...and I have to admit it was seeing my bloated gross self in pictures that made me want to make a change. I used to go through 3 liters of bourbon a week, then vodka...then I decided to "do better" and switch to wine.

Every morning I would wake up with HORRIBLE bouts in the bathroom...followed by on and off sweating all day and feeling like crap. I finally decided I was just completely bloated out and ruining my self image....so I am writing this while contemplating getting a drink.

Today I have been antsy...feeling like I need to get a small glass...

Last night I sweated the WHOLE night...my pillow was soaked...my shoulders are aching...and I cannot sit still..can't decide if I am hungry or just wanting to DO something....any encouragement would be awesome.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 18 here, glad to be part of the July group!

I'm just coming off the end of a nasty flu that is lingering in the form of a sinus infection, as well as coming off a month's recovery from a whiplash injury. Although I didn't have any physical withdrawal to go through, I have spent the past four weeks functioning at between 20 and 60 percent.

With the end of whiplash and flu in sight, and coming up for three weeks of no alcohol, I'm looking forward to feeling better than I have in a very long time by this time next week. I realise this will feel like a cause for celebration, and that's when my biggest battle will start to kick in, as I have been primarily a social drinker, who, like the brilliant Anne Lamott, would just have 30 or 40 teeny tiny social drinks every week, hardly worth mentioning.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Love, love, LOVE Anne Lamott.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

only aa?

Can NA, narcotics addicts join too or only alcoholics??????
Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Balou - there's probably more alcoholics on the board than anyone else, but we definitely don't discriminate

Welcome aboard!

D
Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm starting over again today, this is getting old. What did I learn? What am I going to do to make sure it doesn't happen again? I learned I'm making the same mistakes over and over again, I get hungry, tired, and thirsty. When that happens I start to crave, and I tried to get past the craving by reasoning with myself, a lost battle, I've got to stop feeling sorry for myself, that was the big mistake, also I'm going to try making bran muffins and putting them in a ziplock bag in my purse so I'll always have something healthy to munch on. I bought a little notebook where I'm going to write down things to help me get past THE URGE, number one is to stop feeling sorry for myself. number two is to remember that THE URGE will pass I don't have to give in because the urge is strong, it might be easy to give in, but I don't have to, I have had urges that I did not give into, that means it's possible to resist. If anyone has any good ideas of things I might want to jot down, please feel free to suggest them