Notices

I am so sad, but excited...I guess

Old 07-01-2010, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am so sad, but excited...I guess

My son who has lived with me for 21 years and is an amazing, loving, caring wonderful person is moving out and venturing to the east coast beaches tomorrow morning- this is his last day in my house 'living here'. He has a great plan, is as sober as one could ever be (never wasnt), and I am going to miss him so much. I couldnt even begin to describe the friendship and relationship we have. He can rip a guitar (from old classic blues to alternative music) and is just one special person...I could go on and on. But he has played a major role is trying to get his 19 yr old sister sober (who just went to rehab Monday for 30 days)- look up the threads I guess, this is about him.
I love him so much, and can hardly type this.
Just wanted to vent....(as far as me- which isnt why I posted- I am doing well in my recovery, crossed a big point last week after detoxing and I feel great but so much crap is going on).
anyway- you are my friends and I wanted to say this.
Dub
Old 07-01-2010, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update. It is hard to let those kiddos go and live their own lives, but he's doing what they do. You son sounds like an amazing individual and now the east coast beaches will get to learn that about him as well.

Continue taking good care of yourself.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Thanks for the update Dub. You will always be connected to him, no matter how far away he is.

Good to hear your daughter has gone into rehab too.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

glad to hear that you are well and your daughter is in rehab...you've posted about many things changing in your life recently..i hope it is all for the best and your time to concentrate on yourself too. your son sounds like a wonderful young man that is very grounded. east coast beaches can be a wonderful experience for him too
Old 07-01-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there Dub,

I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how things are going as I've been following your posts. Glad to hear that your daughter is in rehab and that you are getting on with your own detoxing. As others have said above, you've been through the mill lately and we all feel for you..

I'm sorry to hear that your son is moving out though if I look at my own family (we are 5 children) our relationships with our parents went to a completely different and much deeper level once we were out of the house. Only then do you start really appreciating what your parents have done for you, what they have sacrificed and how much they have loved you unconditionally.. This amazing bond you have with your son will never be broken and I think it will go even deeper. He will only be a phonecall, e-mail, sms away from you and will always need his Dad and it sounds like you are a really GREAT Dad!! Imagine what Christmas could be like this year if your daughter is sober and out of rehab, you are sober and finally doing things which you've never managed to do because of the drink or because you were raising your kids and your son comes back home for the holidays after getting some much needed life experience !

Well I guess I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your honest posts and am so happy that you are detoxing and that your daughter is getting the help she needs and you are entering into a new era in your life which I hope will bring you a newfound and deeper happiness and love. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers Dub.

Big hugs,

Almath
Old 07-01-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Almath View Post
Hey there Dub,

I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how things are going as I've been following your posts. Glad to hear that your daughter is in rehab and that you are getting on with your own detoxing. As others have said above, you've been through the mill lately and we all feel for you..

I'm sorry to hear that your son is moving out though if I look at my own family (we are 5 children) our relationships with our parents went to a completely different and much deeper level once we were out of the house. Only then do you start really appreciating what your parents have done for you, what they have sacrificed and how much they have loved you unconditionally.. This amazing bond you have with your son will never be broken and I think it will go even deeper. He will only be a phonecall, e-mail, sms away from you and will always need his Dad and it sounds like you are a really GREAT Dad!! Imagine what Christmas could be like this year if your daughter is sober and out of rehab, you are sober and finally doing things which you've never managed to do because of the drink or because you were raising your kids and your son comes back home for the holidays after getting some much needed life experience !

Well I guess I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your honest posts and am so happy that you are detoxing and that your daughter is getting the help she needs and you are entering into a new era in your life which I hope will bring you a newfound and deeper happiness and love. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers Dub.

Big hugs,

Almath

Wow- thanks so much. I appreciate that. Struggling a bit.
dub
Old 07-01-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Despite your sorrow at his leaving, I'm delighted to hear you're sober and that your daughter is in rehab. Keep on keepin' on Dub! Stay sober one day at a time and you'll be rewarded with feeling good in spite of the curve balls life throws at you, and you'll be sober so you'll be able to duck.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You'd be surprised at
who is following you
on your journey.

Look at all the recovery
that is surrounding you.

So much.

Those that are wishing
you the best. Hoping
for the best for you.

Your loving family.
Inspiration.

With changes all around
you that will continue,
now it's time for YOU.

YOU are that special
and that important to
many.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on raising such a fine son (and daughter too, I'm sure). When my oldest daughter left the house last fall to go to college I was amazed at the loss I felt. It ended up being a trigger for me to fall off the wagon for a few days. Despite his moving on, don't let the lonliness you feel be a trigger for you. I have a good friend with a Down's syndrome child who will never be able to leave home. I bet my friend would love to trade places with us and have a child who was capable of going out into the world and being a success.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dub, the empty nest thing is very hard to deal with.

I'm sending lots of prayers for you and your family.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My youngest son turned 21 today. I wish I could say he's sober, but I'm proud of the man he has become.

Its hard living without your kids after having a housefull (I have 4 grown) but the freedom of having a life of your own is a real blessing.

Congratulations on getting yours to adulthood!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i am having a really hard time with this nothing else to say. I am sad
Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my youngest daughter is 18 today!! I am not doing good. Got some cool presents for her but my life basically sucks right now....oh well, work is good , lifes full of **** right now. later
dub
Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Dub,

I really wish you would pick up the phone and call someone in AA and/or get to a meeting.

You don't have to do this on your own. I can promise you that you will feel better if you get some support.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by intention View Post
Hi Dub,

I really wish you would pick up the phone and call someone in AA and/or get to a meeting.

You don't have to do this on your own. I can promise you that you will feel better if you get some support.
Hey Intention
I have watched all 13 (i think) videos of wayne dyer (the no excuses thing) on youtube. he inspires me. back to the subject...I am going to start going everyday to AA on Sunday- thats my plan. I like AA, I like people, and I like to drink and it only makes me step backwards. Pretty simple math- I have always loved your caring way, thanks. My family is leaving in a couple of hours so - crap, its happening now. I have a ''perfect storm' of stuff going on now- HOWEVER- my daughter (who is in day 4 of rehab- I could have bought a house- from Oxy in a MAJOR way 3-400s per day intravenous- i dont know how she is doing it- suboxone is what her counselor said- but she is suffering). Anyway I will post more now.
Love and Peace to You
Dub
catch you later
dub
Old 07-02-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dub - wonder if he'll be anywhere near me - Ocean City, Maryland.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((((Dubs))))

Thanks for posting. I'm glad your daughter is where she needs to be. Life is just hard sometimes. We can find healthy ways to weather the bad times. I think you have a good plan with the AA on Sundays and hope you meet some good people there that you connect with. Get those phone numbers and call them as you need to!

You have a lot of good friends here on SR but we all need some face to face friends in recovery.

I have to get going right now but I'll be back later. Hang in there!

Much love to you!

Lenina