Notices

trying to stop

Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to stop

Hello all,
I've stopped drinking for two days. Feel like hell, shaking, sweating, heart palpitations, cravings, headache. Have been a heavy drinker for about 16 years, I'm now 40 and it has escalated beyond control. Had to stop because I was waking at night with bad heart palpitations. These are getting better now after a couple of days.
All the stupid things I've done in my life are due to alcohol. Some really stupid things like losing my licence 14 years ago and other things too numerous to list. Drinking has got so bad that I needed a drink first thing in the morning to take the edge off the hangover. Then drink secretly during the day. No one would know I had had a drink.
Really want to stop now and found this site which reading through the posts looks like it'll be helpful.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stopping View Post
Hello all,
I've stopped drinking for two days. Feel like hell, shaking, sweating, heart palpitations, cravings, headache. Have been a heavy drinker for about 16 years, I'm now 40 and it has escalated beyond control. Had to stop because I was waking at night with bad heart palpitations. These are getting better now after a couple of days.
All the stupid things I've done in my life are due to alcohol. Some really stupid things like losing my licence 14 years ago and other things too numerous to list. Drinking has got so bad that I needed a drink first thing in the morning to take the edge off the hangover. Then drink secretly during the day. No one would know I had had a drink.
Really want to stop now and found this site which reading through the posts looks like it'll be helpful.
Welcome! You describe my drinking exactly...

Your gonna get alot of help here and support, first though you should consult a doctor, sounds like withdrawl which can be very dangerous even fatal, only a medical professional can know for sure and treat it properly.

Congrats on your choice to quit, look forward to more of your posts. You have already helped me!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Welcome to SR, stopping! You are reaching just right place in the internet. Keep posting and reading on SR. There are lots of people who have knowledge and experience in this site.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, stopping!

You will find a lot of caring and knowledgable people here. Keep reading, and post if you have questions and/or comments.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

great decision. keep on posting. the people here are really supportive.... you will find a lot of friends here
Old 07-01-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Welcome to SR, yo are making a good descision, you sound just like my AH, drinking in the am and secretly throughout the day, unfortunately he is still in denial. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome stopping! We've been where you are.

Glad you are wanting to stop drinking. It's not easy, but every day it gets a little better and you can reclaim your life.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome - glad you are here! This site has been an amazing help to me - lots of knowledge and support here.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please call your doctor or go to an ER if your smptoms
worsen. De toxing on your own can be very dangerous.

Welcome to SR
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi stopping - Glad you found us and I'm so happy for you that you want to get out of the vicious cycle of drinking. I knew my health was going downhill, too, and would only get worse.

Take it a day at a time, or a minute at a time if you have to. Keep posting and reading - it helps! And check out AA. Just get all the support you can. Hang in there - it keeps getting better.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks everyone - great to have the support. Feeling a good bit better but lots of craving and incredibly thirsty, palpitations have just about stopped. Tomorrow is going to be tough because I am on a business trip and i have to catch a plane tomorrow. I hate flying and I would usually top myself up before getting on the plane but I'm determined to face it.

It's great waking up hangover free and not resorting to a couple of beers or a half bottle of wine to get me back to "normal". Real test will be back at work next week. I work in a culture of heavy drinking as the norm so I'm going to have to deal with it.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you found us. Having a drink first thing in the morning to take the edge off of a hangover is a terrible place to be. And it doesn't get better, it only get's progressively worse. As other's have said, get some medical assistance, not only can it save your life but it can also help make withdrawal a bit easier.