Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes I did. One time.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I know it sounds depressing but I have never meet anyone who stayed sober without some kind of a program.
Pleased to meet you...there you just did!

Seriously, I doubt I'm the only one who's done it without a formal program.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

For me, I needed a design for living. I didn't know it at the time...I thought I was getting along just fine, but I was living a life based on denial, lies, and selfishness.

AA provided me with a healthy design for living and a great fellowship with others just like me. The effort I put in and the results I get are unique to me.

I'm sure I could do it differently, but I've found a way that works for me. I've found a way that also allows me to give back, to help face to face, another struggling alcoholic as I was helped. What a beautiful program!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

All I can say is I went in an out of AA since 1993. And everytime they accepted me back when I couldn't stand myself. Now I've been clean since 2/18/08 and made lots of friends. In my short time clean I have seen people who have quit drinking for years went back out and came back in. Hey, if you are lucky enough to have had some sobriety and the seed was planted, and you went back out and are still inhaling and exhaling, you always have another shot at recovery in AA or anywhere you choose. And you will always be accepted. AA is based on suggestions, not rules. I found that the people who have relapsed and come back usually are the ones who know the true meaning of being humble, surrendering and acceptance.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

AA can't possibly be the only way, because there isn't 1 way to "do" AA. My program is different than the next guy's, and his program may vary greatly from the woman across the room. Some people in AA will tell you that there is only 1 way to work the program, and if you don't do it that way you're doomed. I'm the type of person that doesn't think there's only 1 way to do nearly anything. What works for me might not work for you. I can tell you what's worked for me and how it's helped me in my life, but some things are only applicable to the individual.

Part of the noon meeting I went to today was spent discussing how people make themselves feel better, or important, by looking down upon others. I think for some people in AA (or at your job, or school, or wherever), they like to pump themselves up by believing that they are correct in their manner of doing things, and anyone who does it differently is at best wrong and at worst doomed. I don't subscribe to that line of thinking, and I frankly don't care too much for it.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great idea to go back to AA and do something different this time, i.e. work the steps:-) I'm sure you will be more than welcome back!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

have you done the self discovery of are you physically addicted or conditioned abuser?

if.. you are in the physical addicted camp where use of mouthwash will trigger you or an NA beer- yeah, program is in your best interest maybe

if you can swear off the booze and stay away from it w/o relapse -maybe not

why do you let yourself relapse? as you reach for the 1st relapse beverage why is there not a larger NO!!!! between your ears than the motivation to consume?

bill w liked lsd in his later yrs - a hallucinogen was what opened his eyes to sobriety in the hospital - so.... bill w was a no booze guy but not a no use of anything guy ..

can you smoke weed without abuse?

if you abuse alcohol consistently for a long period of your life and it doesn't make your life better???- why would you relapse?,haven't ya learned it is not for you? ?? what will it take for you to learn? sickness or death? there comes a day of reckoning for everyone.. what you do with your epiphany is up to you imho
Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Wharf Rat
Welcome back...

of course AA is not the only way - but is that really the issue here?

its just that I feel like such a failure relapse after relapse. I can't stand the thought of calling a sponsor every day and going to meetings.
Pride and shame kept me in my addiction and nearly killed me.

It took me 15 years to 'get it'. I can't count how many relapses that would be. It happens to everyone and it's a sign we need help, Wharf Rat.

Go back to AA, or don't...but do something, man.

D
Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lithobid View Post
Little Fish - "You don't have to have a sponsor in AA, nor do you have to report your relapses. The primary goal is to help anyone who wants to stop drinking."

- dosen't this defeat the purpose of the chip system for the person participating. I know I relapsed in the past and didn't say anything at first, but it's about open honesty in your relapse, and helping others with that information? How can not reporting a relapse to the group help others not drink?
The chip system is not even AA, although nearly every group I have been to uses it. Dr. Bob actually hated the chip system but he was unable to stop it. Each AA group is autonomous, and evidently they like the chip system.

In terms of reporting your relapses, I did that for a much more selfish reason - to help me. Having said that, there is only one requirement for membership - a desire to stop drinking.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"its just that I feel like such a failure relapse after relapse. I can't stand the thought of calling a sponsor every day and going to meetings. "

the more ya put into life, the more you get out of it

say ya don't go to the meeting everyday- is there something positive you could alternate?

the sponsor thing doesnt work for you? ok? problem with authority? former sponsor was rude? maybe ya didn't connect with them- well,you don't have to believe in the sponsor or use a sponsor if ya can get by without that resource

Last edited by Dee74; 06-29-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

This is just my opinion/assumption but I'm not aware of any other "program" outside AA where you can find as many people with LONG term sobriety.....and happy sobriety. It's not the only way but it, to me, looks like the best way to get the best results.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I hope AA is not the only way, because it is just not for me. I don't think it is. There are honestly so many ways of looking at the human soul and that's where it all starts and ends anyway.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back WR.....

We have many SR members who have long term sobriety
and living sucessfull full filled lives without a formal program.
There is no perfect one way to find your recovery

I too returned to drinking....many times...after I started
AA. I understand you don't want to return....I was
embarrassed each time I came back.
Not once was I made to feel unwelcomed and I
always returned to my orginal home group.
Took me 4 years to earn a 1 year medallion!

When I began my formal AA Steps....I felt a shift in
perception....from shakey sobriety into solid recovery....
I've not had another drink.

I have never had a formal sonsor...don't believe in the monthly
chip deal....never called anyone daily...don't do chants
or pump arms either.

What I do......stay connected to God and my AA group.
I use the Steps daily ...I live in harmony with the
world.

AA meetings? I usually do 3 or 4 a week to share
the joy of my recovery.

I don't care if anyone uses AA or not. I plan to continue.
It's an awesome adventure.....

DOS....4-25-89 ... with gratitude
Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up We Are Ourselves

Sobriety is that essential something in our own lives that is lived daily. Its not just any particular place, fellowship, or program, or online site. And its not only found in some special book, philosphy or slogan. These things are all good tangible supports to a sobriety and to a spiritual understanding of living our lives successfully without alcohol and drugs.

There is no "this only" de facto way. There never will be and that is good for all of us. Although we all share common things in alcoholism and sobriety, we all live through different days in our different lives requiring different choices.

None of us have to be alone, really, except by choice, and that is the single most essential common bond we all share friend and foe alike, we all have choices. Receiving the gifts of sobriety is not a "do this or do that" kinda thing at the end of the day. Its more a "do the something" that accepts the offers of sobriety that is openly given for each persons particular life.

We all have chances at receiving the gifts. We all have those moments that we know being sober and living free is the only way to live any life we may ever choose. Alcoholism is a fatal illness and requires a remedy that not only stops the drinking but also gives us back our lives -- and for some of us -- gives us a life that we never ever really had before: a life of love.

warmly,
Robby
Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've removed some posts that really had nothing to do with the OP, and some replies to them. As I believe Wharf Rat has has some resolution with this thread, we'll leave it there.

I'd like to remind everyone that we're a big community here, all ages, all walks of life, all recovery programmes 'creeds' .....it's that coexistence, side by side, that makes this place great.

Denigrating someone elses recovery programme is not acceptable here, no matter what that programme is.

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.