Notices

emails to yourself

Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

emails to yourself

just a quick suggestion for those of us out there struggling through the early days, or for those of you that enjoy some frequent encouragement.

each morning, I open my Outlook and type myself an email. This morning's was something along the lines of this:

"Today you are feeling great. You slept better, and the first thing you thought when you woke up was THANK GOD I DIDNT DRINK LAST NIGHT.

As you're receiving this email, I know that it's late in the day and you're probably wishing you could have a beer after work, but DONT DO IT. Keep to your plan, stay strong, and make it through another day."

Then if you hit OPTIONS at the top of your email, you can select DELAY DELIVERY and send it to yourself when you know that you'll be at a weak moment. It's quite surreal getting an email from yourself. I routinely forget about the email, and it's crazy having it pop up on my screen.

anyway, hopefully it helps someone out there.
one reminder - delete the email and then delete it from your deleted items if you are on a work computer.

happy Tuesday.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

That's a great idea - thanks for passing that along.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What an excellent idea, Tex!

While I was reading, I also thought about setting email reminder alerts for vulnerable times, like just before leaving work.

Your statement "THANK GOD I DIDNT DRINK LAST NIGHT" is the reason behind my profile signature too.

Thanks for passing this along!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ha - that was funny. Sure enough my email came thru to myself and ends with "Quit being such a WUSS!!! You can do it!!"

Quite the odd moment laughing at an email I sent myself...