Notices

Milk Thistle

Old 06-29-2010, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Milk Thistle

Hi everyone - well day two here we go - im on a natural high at the moment - but doesn't feel all that comfortable - in that I know I've got to come down from it. I wish I oculd stay steady and calm

Anyways the reason for my post is - I wondered if any of you out there took milk thistle to help our poor old livers - and is there anything else that can help restore our bodies

Thanks Ep
Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

IM wondering the very same exact thing, thanks for asking. this will help me too. wanted to ask but was scared. weird huh, thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for commenting - I wonder if it does help.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Yes, it seems this could be very helpful.

Last edited by Dee74; 06-29-2010 at 04:53 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well, i got some at wally world, and am taking it. not sure how to tell if ot works. but i will try anything. ans i an a newbie to this, just trying to get healthy like you guys, we deserve to be happy and healthy for us and our loved ones
Old 06-29-2010, 03:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i wish i could stay steady and clam too. ive been shaking and scared. staying away from coffee
Old 06-29-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

I bought a bottle and take it twice a day as directed. Even if it just has the placebo effect I think it was well worth the ten dollars. I have a doctor appointment in two weeks.

I am also taking a multivitamin everyday which I haven't done regularly since I was a child. My jaw dropped when I was reading all the vitamins that are contained in each one (that I was not getting before). Considering the years of vodka and poor diet I'm surprised I don't look more like Anjelica Huston in the movie Witches when she takes off her mask.

Our body's are pretty darn resilient so let's start taking care of them, shall we?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been taking it daily (3 times a day) since my last bout with the devil. Can't comment on whether or not it's helped my liver, but I can say it hasn't hurt anything ... or turned my hair green.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there is a reasonable amount of proof that milk thistle can be beneficial. I've been taking it for years.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks

guys .... really helpful - Ive just taken another one!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been taking Milk thistle for at least 10 years....currently I am using a high quality standardized dosage called "Liver antioxidants" by procaps labs....(i buy it on line). it also has tumeric and artichoke....tumeric is another supplement you can buy at wallyworld.

i take it am and pm and a b-complex, omega 3-6-9 and a multi along with calcium supplements and a low dose iron.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

same here. ive read good things and there dont seem to be any side effects so i thought it was worth taking.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

when you get blood work-ups done, it may help to lower your GGTP and GGT numbers.

I *think* it takes about 3 months to see an improvement depending....(on lots of different things, everyone is different)..ask the doc. if they are amenable to the benefits of supplements, you might have to consult a more natural homiopathic? physician.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
The active ingredient in milk thistle is Silymarin. While there haven't conclusive studies, there is a lot of evidence that indicates that taking milk thistle supplements may provide beneficial protection and also repair for livers damaged from chemical exposure, drug use or hepatitis.

Unlike the US (where herbal supplements are unregulated - or, at least not subject to FDA approval etc), both Japan and Germany incorporate standardized herbal remedies into their universal healthcare systems. And, I know for certain in Germany that milk thistle extracts have been prescribed as part of standard treatment to patients suffering from liver damage due to chemical exposure, drug & alcohol abuse and hepatitis.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
HFA

Lecithin?

Not a doctor and not medical advice but I read this lately about lecithin and liver...

Last edited by Dee74; 06-29-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: copyrighted article - ask HFA
Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I was eating lots and lots of Percs, I used to take NAC which is what they give you for Tylenol overdose. It's actually a miracle supplement.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I decided to forsake expensive supplements and take a multivitamin, eat a healthy diet, drink water and exercise- and just see if I can get and maintain some sobriety for now. I used to take supplements and researched endlessly on the internet and science journals for similar studies. Then I decided to live for today as best I can, and try not to worry
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've taken Milk Thistle off and on for a few years now. I used to work at a supplement store for body builders, and many of the pros who used steroids (which are insanely hard on the liver) absolutely swore by liv-52, liv rite liver aid, and milk thistle.

Take that as you may.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

HFA, that is a really OLD study quoted from 1990 and 2003...did you find anything more recent?

I had never heard of NAC, but the information is interesting, thanks DV!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Also, on another note, many of the pro-hormone muscle building compounds that we sold (weak steroids sold legally for short periods of time before the fda finds them) would often contain milk thistle in them. I'm assuming in order to help offset some of the possible liver damage suffered from taking those supplements.