Notices

Milk Thistle

Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Thanks for this thread.....I've invested in a bottle of milk thistle. I've felt that I've needed to do something to offset a 30 year drinking career...now that I've quit drinking I'll reward my liver w/milk thistle....rather than soak it in beer.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just bought some yesterday and started taking it today along with a B-complex supplement.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm going to go get some tomorrow. I had no idea! I'm taking Vitamin D as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just want to remind everyone its a really good idea to check with your doctor or pharmacist (or even nutritionist) before starting to take any medications or supplements - just because it works for some is no guarantee it will be of benefit to you...

and just because its natural doesn't mean its inherently safe or foolproof...always stick to the recommended dose.

Papa D
Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Originally Posted by DrivingVacation View Post
When I was eating lots and lots of Percs, I used to take NAC which is what they give you for Tylenol overdose. It's actually a miracle supplement.
I used to use NAC or N-acetylcysteine for eliminating or reducing hangover effects due to acetylhyde build-up. I'd combine it with Alpha Lipoic Acid(ALA) and Vitamin C - also both readily-available supplements. The former to help increase the efficacy of the NAC and the latter to help counter some of the side-effects of it. And, yes - as you indicated, NAC is provided (in the form of an IV) for countering overdoses of acetaminophen (or Paracetamol as its known in the UK).

If interested investigating this route via eating natural foods, simply make certain to include foods naturally high in the amino acid cysteine like egg yolks, poultry, pork, yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, red peppers, garlic, onions, broccoli, brussels sprouts, oats, granola, and wheat germ.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

just a reminder that once a liver is scarred with cirrhosis of the liver it is scarred for life. no amount of milk thistle can heal a cirrhotic liver.

i hate to be captain bringdown but i just wanted to add my x2 cents that taking milk thistle does not give anyone a license to drink and think they are preventing liver damage from alcohol consumption/abuse.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dont want to put a dampner on this, but you should check with doctor about taking anything even herbals.

I was takinf Milkthistle and told my doc and he said, that milkthistle has hormones which can "aids breast cancer". I did google it and there are some articles to that effect so I stopped taking it myself.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

To detox/rejuvenate my liver I drink a lot (10 to 14 glasses) of water with a few tablespoon of Realemon juice each day. It is on my "to do list"... and I do think it works.

I don't like to take a lot of herbs, more so I take vitamins to help give my body back some of the nutrients the alcohol robbed from my body.