Notices

Help, Xanex is ruining my life

Old 06-29-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

the other thing is, my parents dont believe me with things. i feel weird saying this here, because not many people know, but a few years ago, i was raped. i didnt know how to tell my parents, but when i did, they got mad at me and said i was lying. it only made things worse. my friend who actually made me this account said that for a week i should just take a few. then try to put it to two. then one, then half of one. should i try that? i am just really afraid of my parents....mostly my mom....
Old 06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

medical detox
don't eff around with that stuff
Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

arjck,
I think you are playing with fire and are going to get burned by trying to detox yourself. How do you want your parents to find out -- by telling them or by having a seizure or other health issue because you tried to detox yourself? This is nothing to play around with. If you can't go to your parents, is there another adult in your life whom you could ask for help? A teacher? A friend's parent? A pastor? A neighbor? Surely there must be someone in your life whom you could reach out to for help.
SusanLauren
Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i will try....i know, i just so scared...i have a therapist, should i ask her?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As a parent myself, I can tell you that under that 'mad' is fear.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely approach some adult you feel safe and comfortable with - your therapist sounds ideal, arjck.

D
Old 06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

arjck,

Yes, talk to your therapist ASAP. Can you call them? If so, do. They will help you and I think will also be able to be a bridge between you and your parents with this issue if you need that.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

i can understand that. but my mom literally get furious at me. she is bipolar...and her downs are always around me...
Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i have one therapist that lives far away near the school i go to, its a boarding school, i went there by chose becaus eof the music program, but she works for the school, but its summer. would it be weird if i called her? her and my parents never actually met...
Old 06-29-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SR Fan

arjck - Start with whoever you feel comfortable with telling. Don't sit and think about it too hard. It's obvious you need some kind of help because you can't do this on your own. We've all been there, and I'm sure others would join me in saying the sooner you take action, the better.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

yeah, i just told my best friend, who i have known since birth. i was scared to, but she is really understanding...
Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

arjck,
I agree with ArtSoul and Dee. Approach the adult you feel most comfortable with and if that is the therapist at your boarding school, then call her. I wouldn't think too long and hard about whom to approach because it sounds as if you need help now -- not later. I agree with Freedom1990 -- under your parent's "anger" is "fear".
SusanLauren
Old 06-29-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

yeah i agree. i think i will call her tomorrow. its just weird, because she gets paid by the school, so like i feel weird. but i will.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

thank you so much everyone....
Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Xanax is ruining my life...

Hi arcjk.

I have been taking prescription Alprazolam (Xanax) a long time for anxiety. I first started it in 1984 at 1.0 mg four times a day. I new it was for sevaere anxiety but not much more about it. I wasn't tied into a counselor yet so it was my gp that prescribed it.

When I finally moved away from my stressor & had filed for my divorce, I decided I would quit the Xanax, not knowing anything about what would happen to me. I was not able to go to work, shook, vomitted, & was so weak I couldn't even drive myself down to the corner where my doctor's office was. I thought I had some new strain of bad flu.

I called a friend to come take me to the doctor & I was seen immediately. He told me I was in a full blown withdrawal from the Xanax...that he would have to start me on it again & slowly decrease the amount over about a two month period of time.

I take it now for my anxiety & was on the same 1.0 mg every four hours for quite a while but as I got better a few years down the road I asked to reduce the Xanax & hopefully get clear off of it. I finally got down to 0.25 mg every six hours as needed. I feel much better and feel in control of my anxiety that still rears its ugly head when I am under too much stress.

Now I should tell you I am a 69 year old alcoholic in Recovery & have never abused drugs or prescription meds for my depression/anxiety. I have educated myself through the years on my illnesses & medications & their side-effects.

I know it seems impossible for you to know what to do but from your posts it sounds like you have a therapist. If I were in your shoes now...I would tell the therapist what all is going on or even write it out to give it to her to read if that would be easier & I am hoping she would be soooo glad you told her.
You have to be very proud of yourself for coming to SR!
Since you are not 18 yet it seems likely your parents would need to know so they can provide the funds for your help. I have one son that was an alcoholic & he is spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair & is 40 years old. He has one son your age & one 18 year old son that just graduated from highschool & will be going on to college in the Fall.

You are the most important person to us at SR right now because you are in a very scary place & need some help but nothing pushed on you. It is still up to you if you want to get off the Xanax. We can share our experience, strength & hope with you so you can learn how to help yourself.

kelsh
Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

thank you so much, this did help, and i will try. i am just so scared of my mom, in all honesty. i just dont want to get sent away, which is what would happen. i have a life and i am with a boy now for almost a year and we love eachother and i am just gong into 11th grade, and i cant screw everything up. i dunno, im just scared :/ and sorry for being so repetitive....
Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

If you have a therapist you should absolutely ask her.
I cant remember much but I do remember being 16 and scared. i thought I knew everything and didnt want to hear anything from anyone else. I was afraid to talk to my parents and I ended up floundering around for years. looking back I wish I hadnt tried to take on the world and my problems alone. I ended up suffering badly for it. there is nothing wrong with asking for help. your only 16 your life is just beginning... let yourself live
Old 06-29-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

arjck,
I want to see you get the help you need. When you say, "get sent away" do you mean going to a detox/rehab facility for treatment. If the medical professionals think you need inpatient treatment, then detox/rehab is the best place you could possibly be. There is no shame in getting help, and there is no shame in having a disease/an addiction. Your boyfriend, if he is really a true friend, will be there for you supporting you ever step of the way. It's okay to be afraid. Just don't let your fear stand in the way of getting the help you need. Please let us know how it goes when you talk with your therapist.
SusanLauren
SusanLauren
Old 06-29-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

ok....yeah he does, but i dunno. i just know soo many people who have been to those, and i don't wana be like that...like there is nothing wrong with it, im just resenting the path i am on..
Old 06-29-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by arjck View Post
ok....yeah he does, but i dunno. i just know soo many people who have been to those, and i don't wana be like that...like there is nothing wrong with it, im just resenting the path i am on..
Be like what? Like a person who realizes they have a problem and gets help for it? There is nothing to be ashamed of by getting the help you need. I did it, and most everyone here has done it too. It's a sign of strength when you are willing to take care of yourself.