Notices

Finding Rides to meetings

Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding Rides to meetings

I am new to this (3 days) and I don't drive or have a car right now. (DUI). There are not many meetings that I can get to by bus. What is the best way to find rides. Is there some database or blog out there
Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the best way would be to go to the meetings and then ask people there, if they could give you a ride to and from.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi and welcome.

Is there a local helpline telephone number for where you are? If so, I would suggest you call it. The people who answer are members of AA. If you explain your situation your situation they should be able to sort out a solution for you.

There are lots of people in AA who cannot drive for the same reason. Other members who can drive do all they can to help them out.

Alternatively if you can get to one meeting, you could ask there by telling the group where you live and asking if anyone could help you get to meetings.

Just take usual precautions you would do for your own personal safety.
Good luck.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by videoeditor View Post
I am new to this (3 days) and I don't drive or have a car right now. (DUI). There are not many meetings that I can get to by bus. What is the best way to find rides. Is there some database or blog out there
Same boat for me. 5yrs no license. There are a fair amount of meetings around me but there's no bus service, no cabs, and the two closest meetings are 3 or 4 miles away. Every other one is 5+ miles away

I got rides to a couple of them from friends and what not but it wasn't until I grabbed my balls, raised my hand during the announcements at a meeting, stood up and said, "I don't have a license and I need to get to a lot of meetings because I'm trying to recover....if anyone lives near (my address) and goes to any meetings other than this one, please see me after the meeting if you'd be able to pick me up once and a while." My therapist half-suggested / half-dared me to do it. I also started staying late to clean up, put the literature away, wash out the coffee pots, etc. Not only did I go from having a couple numbers/friends in AA to 50 or more, I found my sponsor and got hooked into a group of folks who take this stuff as seriously as I wanted to.

I was embarrassed to do it big-time......but I did it about 3x at the two or three meetings I was kinda-regularly going to and it started getting easier. The cool thing is the folks who come up to you are not going to be the meeting-makers-make-it variety ........ they'll be the hard-core folks who value their sobriety and understand that they too have to go to any lengths.......still.

Raise your hand and put it out there.......a couple times. It was advice I'm glad I followed.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Daytrader nailed it for me. Don't ever think you are imposing on someone. We AAers are supposed to be there when someone needs us. That is our 12th step, working with other alcoholics. We can't all be there all the time every day but if your group has any kind of size to it then it is not hard to find a ride.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Videoeditor,

Definitely not trying to be a wise*ss, but , depending on where you live, ...sometimes an older used bike can be easy to get and easy to get you around. Again , I realize some areas are extremely dangerous for cyclists commuting around.

Asking for transportational help at meetings ...may/should work.

My personal exp. ........... It's always easier getting a ride home after a meeting , if you can get there.

if ya walk there on cloudy days, ....bring an umbrella.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There often are meetings at noon ...see if there is one
near your job. Alexandria and D.C. have plenty of meetings.

I started AA when I lived in D.C.
Very few people had cars in the area.

I went to one in Georgetown for years that I could do
before work. I usually walked....

Call 703-281-7501...that's the N.Va. Intergroup
unless it's been changed.

Well done on your early sobriety
Welcome to SR.....
Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Day trader gave you perfect advice....

I would just respectfully say that my experience with who offers rides to folks is different from below. I see all kinds of people do it for all kinds of reasons. I know many "meeting makers make it variety" type people engaged in service work which includes rides.

The cool thing is the folks who come up to you are not going to be the meeting-makers-make-it variety ........ they'll be the hard-core folks who value their sobriety and understand that they too have to go to any lengths.......still.
I would also add on this note that if your a female in AA exercise caution since guys may have alterior motives. Lol, let me rephrase that, if your a female or a male exercise caution since anyone may have alterior motives :-)

But in the end AA is full of people who are happy to help or if they are not happy to they will anyway since it helps some of us to stay sober. Giving rides I found to be hugely beneficial to my sobriety. And when the person without a license makes you wait out front of their house and is late it helps your patience and tolerance. :-)