Notices

day 13............. getting harder

Old 06-27-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 13............. getting harder

man.. on day 13, trying to still think positive. I have been doing good, even my outlook on life and the present has been good. tonite, I am starting to feel a little down and just "lonely" without my best friend alcohol with me. I had felt this way the other night and called my sponsor, only to get " I am lucky that I never went to jail" and blah,blah,blah. Don't get me wrong, I have gratitude, but jeez. I don't know. Just had to get this out. I have been going to at least 2 meetings a day, now that school is out.. None today, because I was not able to due to picking up my daughter in another town.. It just sucks, I don't have a girlfriend or significant other to keep my spirits up.. I sound like I am whining.. sorry..
Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

Whine away Pete - just don't pick up a drink

If you had any hobbies that you lost to the creature (as I've come to call booze), tonight might be a good time to get to 'em a little again. Like an instrument? Or gaming? Hell, even crosswords or jigsaw puzzles might pick your spirits up a little

Take care pete, and congrats on a "lucky" 13 days sober!!!

Blessed be,
WW
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean - I don't really have a significant other to keep my spirits up either, but remember you are doing this for YOU and all of your relationships - current and future - will benefit from what you are doing now. I am lonely without my alcohol at times too..but remember - it really is no "friend" to us!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Well if whining keeps you from drinking... whine away! In fact we have a thread in Daily Support - Whiners Anonymous... check it out for some good whines and add your own...

Seriously, I think your sponsor was trying to remind you to count your blessings. We have a Gratitude forum here too and I use it a lot to remind myself of how blessed I really am. Give it a try. Express your gratitude for anything/everything. It's helping keep me sober and keep a decent attitude.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have felt like you too, especially in the early days.....as time goes on..these feelings all but disappear, as you welcome your "new" life....and you start to create different habits and attitudes....trust me....it really does get better!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi, Pete. Glad you came to SR. Keep reading and posting.

Your little girl is lucky to have a sober dad. So very lucky.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses, you guys are the coolest. Yeah, I play guitar and drums, so as far as things to occupy my time, I have that. I have been playing to 4 hours a day.. It is so easy to get down on oneself, have to be grateful all of the time. Those old feelings of helplessness and loser when I was a drunk, just want to come back.. today is a little better.