Notices

Here I Go Again!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I Go Again!

Well, I finally decided to join and post. I have been reading here on occasion for some time BTW.

Long story short is that I am an alcoholic who happens to drink only beer. I gave up the hard stuff at the age of 25, and don't really care much for wine.
I have been through 3 different stints of sobriety now that lasted for considerable lengths of time.

About 6 months ago I was hit with a number of very stressful issues in my life involving largely other family members health status.
Needless to say I started drinking again, and soon found myself at my top level of a 12 pack a day. I drink light beer, with a low alcohol content which is probably the only thing that has saved me from serious damage all these years.

I started titrating down from the 12 by dropping one every two to three days. I am now on my last day of having seven,......tomorrow will be time to drop to six. After I get to that level I have always been able to pretty much quit cold turkey with no problems. I may work down to the five level this time though as I am still under a good amount of stress.

Please understand I am not suggesting that ANYONE else should do things the way I do, but it has worked for me before. I have no desire to go to detox, and have 'alcoholic' listed on my medical records forever. If I had to I would, but I don't.

What I really would like to know, is how does one avoid falling back in the trap of alcohol when extreme stress presents itself after a long period of sobriety? This is what seems to get me every time,.......I have been off the stuff for a year or more before.
I do not smoke, nor do I use any recreational drugs. I never have. Alcohol has always been my 'friend' per se.

Any suggestions to help me avoid falling into this trap again would be most appreciated. I hope I posted in the right place, but I am not very familiar with forum boards, and certainly have never posted about this problem before.

This seems like a very helpful place for folks needing help with addictions.
Thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The easiest way to continue not drinking is by not drinking. Just dont pick up that first one. everyone has stress, not everyone drinks. Find things you like to do and occupy down time with that. Try working out it relieves stress and youll look and feel better.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4life View Post
The easiest way to continue not drinking is by not drinking. Just dont pick up that first one. everyone has stress, not everyone drinks. Find things you like to do and occupy down time with that. Try working out it relieves stress and youll look and feel better.
I do work out when possible, and have a home gym actually.
What you say is true, and my downfall was telling myself I was only going to have one or two to help me sleep.

I did that for a few days and then the two became three,......on and on.
This is the hurdle that I have to learn to overcome. How incredibly stupid for a person like me to think they can only have a couple for a few days.

I need to bang my head against a wall I guess.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Rick.. Welcome To SR! i Never Thought i Could Maintain My Sobriety For As Long as i Have (3yrs5months now) But.. i Have ODAAT.. A.A. Has Helped Me Greatly..
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
Rick.. Welcome To SR! i Never Thought i Could Maintain My Sobriety For As Long as i Have (3yrs5months now) But.. i Have ODAAT.. A.A. Has Helped Me Greatly..
Congrats on that length of time,........I have never made it that long in a stretch.

After my first long period of being sober, I thought I had it beat and could become a 'moderate' drinker again. Another incredibly stupid thought.
Believe me, I have given up that idea!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi RickFL,

I could never step down like you are doing. If there's 12 beers left, then I'm drinking 12. So, great if you can. I also fell into the trap of starting drinking again because I thought I could handle it. Such a gentle slope.

As far as stress, I've learn to "grow up" mostly. I'm finally getting somewhere with meditation, I limit my sugar and caffeine, and I drink green tea and take a few supplements for mood. It's a total package thing. Mostly it's a mental attitude. I'm just going to keep my perspective on a situation and know it's relative importance to the rest of my life. I truly believe it's a skill and one that I now practice daily.

I never again want to be dependent on a substance, green tea or Scotch, so I'm doing my best to learn this new skill.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KingsCross View Post
Hi RickFL,

I could never step down like you are doing. If there's 12 beers left, then I'm drinking 12. So, great if you can. I also fell into the trap of starting drinking again because I thought I could handle it. Such a gentle slope.

As far as stress, I've learn to "grow up" mostly. I'm finally getting somewhere with meditation, I limit my sugar and caffeine, and I drink green tea and take a few supplements for mood. It's a total package thing. Mostly it's a mental attitude. I'm just going to keep my perspective on a situation and know it's relative importance to the rest of my life. I truly believe it's a skill and one that I now practice daily.
I never again want to be dependent on a substance, green tea or Scotch, so I'm doing my best to learn this new skill.
That is a great way to look at things,........one I am going to attempt to take up myself.

As far as how I get off the stuff, well that is why I said I don't suggest that anyone do it this way. For some reason I can do it, and have done so several times. My problem is starting back up again.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey no head banging here. I realized the biggest obstacle I had in recovery was me. I was so busy beating myself up that I didnt have time to focus on what was important.... Healing. give yourself a break, your worth it!
Old 06-27-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Rick - like Change4Life says, everybody has stress but not everyone drinks.

Some here use yoga and meditation, some attend counselling or see a Dr, some use exercise or some hobby they love, some have a nice bath and cup of herbal tea....I use deep breathing exercises.

It's up to us to explore different healthier ways of reducing stress and find the ones that work for us...

D
Old 06-27-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RickFL
I drink light beer, with a low alcohol content which is probably the only thing that has saved me from serious damage all these years.
Not to pop your bubble, but "lite" beer, in America at least, is only lite in the sense that there are fewer calories in it. The "lite" and "regular" versions of American beers have the same alcohol content.

Congrats on choosing sobriety. Post away, we are here to help.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Not to pop your bubble, but "lite" beer, in America at least, is only lite in the sense that there are fewer calories in it. The "lite" and "regular" versions of American beers have the same alcohol content.

Congrats on choosing sobriety. Post away, we are here to help.
Actually most 'light' beer IS lower in alcohol than the same non-light version.
I was referring mainly to 'crafted' brews and ice type beers. Some folks are not aware that many beers go into the 7's and higher concerning alcohol content.

What I am drinking now is only 2.8%.
Anyway,......so far my taper down is going fine once again. No ill effects other than a small amount of nervous energy at times.

I mainly need to re-think why I continue to fail after long periods of staying sober. I realize that each of us is a different person, and we handle ALL of this differently.

Thanks for the responses, and suggestions!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This time.....try AA It's free and for anyone desireing recovery.

Welcome to SR....
Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
This time.....try AA It's free and for anyone desireing recovery.

Welcome to SR....
Thanks for the welcome Carol!

I have no issue personally with AA, but it is something I am very unlikely to do. I live in an area with a population around 300K,.......not metro, but not small town so to speak.

I have run my own business for 18 years here, and have met many hundreds of folks. It is a 'service' industry in the contracting trades,......that's all I will say.

I just can't take the chance of being spotted by someone. I have some very large clients that should I lose one could cause me financial harm. There is nobody short of a few close friends, my fiancee, and my mother that even know how much I am capable of putting away.

I never drank in the morning, I never drank while working,.......actually I don't even drink when I go out to a party or a restaurant. I MAY have one, possibly two on occasion but that is it.

I put them away after I get home from work. Today is a perfect example being that I am off. I would most certainly put away my 12 pack while dinking around the house starting around noon. Of course I am not doing that today! )

The strange part about it all is I don't even get drunk from the stuff I consume. It makes it tough for me to figure out why I even do it to be honest. This is a very weird 'disease' needless to say.

Just so you know I am not being all high and mighty,.......my life before 25 was simply a matter of luck that nothing bad happened to me. I would get 'stinking mean' drunk from HUGE quantities of shots, beer, mixed drinks,.........whatever was at the party or club I was at. I fought constantly, and yes, I mean the physical type of fighting. The stuff made me a crazy person, and I am lucky that I never killed someone or myself.

I knew I was going to die from that path, and I quit it all and never looked back one time. What I have been doing since 25 is a slow, peaceful path to an early grave. Best way I can put it.

Thanks again.