Notices

3 Days Sober - Feeling depressed is this normal?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Days Sober - Feeling depressed is this normal?

Hi guys

This is my first post on the site

I am 3 days sober..

While i'm very happy to be sober I feel quite down. Depressed, irritable (everything's pissing me off including my poor husband)

Is this normal?

The reason I ask is because I actually gave up drinking Feb 2008 after 8 years of heavy drinking and cant remember feeling depressed then. Remained sober for about 18 months and then convinced myself I could handle drinking again in moderation. My husband who had never known me as a drinker was also very keen for me to join in a glass or two of social wine drinking.

Anyway, while my drinking hasnt spiralled out of control it has definitely got a grip over me and I'm just totally convicted that I shouldnt be drinking.. every time I wake up even after only having 2 wines the night before I feel gutted inside, really sick and slow, and groggy the whole next day.

I went to my first AA meeting on Friday night

The thing that is strange for me is I cant remember feeling depressed when I gave up the first time? Maybe I'm down on myself for reinfecting myself and taking it up after I had come so far and be sober for so long? I feel like I've really let myself down..

I'm going to go to another AA meeting tomorrow and work the steps, get a sponsor etc.. I never had a program the first time.. I did it all myself and never truly acknowledged I was an alcoholic.. in fact when people used to ask me about why I stopped drinking I would reply "i'm not an alcoholic or anything I just didnt want to drink anymore"

Maybe I told myself that enough times that I believed it ??

Anyway just wanted to see what other people's experiences were around depression and introduce myself

I'm Peta from New Zealand
Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Peta. I'm new to the board also. I've been sober for 14 days now. It hasn't been constant but I have been depressed on and off during those 14 days. I also find myself getting irritated over things that would not have previously bothered me. I'm not experienced enough with recovery to say if it is normal or not but I do feel similar to you.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Peta! Glad to have you with us! I think depression is pretty common during the first week or so of sobriety.
Mild to moderate psychological symptoms:

Feeling of jumpiness or nervousness
Feeling of shakiness
Anxiety
Irritability or easily excited
Emotional volatility, rapid emotional changes
Depression
Fatigue
Difficulty with thinking clearly
Bad dreams
In my case, I had depression even before drinking, and am taking anti-depressants for it. So, if it doesn't go away, it would be best to talk with a counselor or psychiatrist. Congrats on 3 days sober!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi peta

Always good to see another Kiwi join us

I 'quit' many many times...but none of them lasted anymore than 2 months...sometimes I had no ill effects, some times I had a lot.

I know that I was certainly depressed when I gave up for good...but I had been that way for years, like Artsoul mentions.

Does it really matter about last time?

Welcome to this time...and welcome to SR
D
Old 06-26-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

nice to see I'm not alone with these feelings
Old 06-27-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Peta your definite not alone.....Today Sunday is my third day......It's hard......But I Keep trying....And Artsoul thank you for the symtoms info. That really helps.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....you are still de toxing.
Try to relax....drink a lot of water...go for walks.

I am an AA member....and when I began my Step work
I felt a shift in perception.......
from sobriety into solid recovery

Glad you are heading there too.....Welcome!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's very normal for your feelings, both mental and physical, to be all over the place in early sobriety. Be good to yourself. Drink lots of water and juice, vitamins (especially B) will help your brain and body get back to normal functioning, get moderate exercise, like a daily walk, and see your doctor if these feelings of depression/irritability persist or get worse. A physical exam is a good idea also to make sure you're in good health.

I've been on antidepressants for years but they didn't help when I was drinking. Now they work a lot better since I'm not drowning my brain in alcohol, a depressant itself.

Welcome to SR! Always good to meet a new member of the family!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there. Congrats on your sober time....i'm very new to this as well but from my own experience, quitting drinking for me was a loss...i struggle with depression anyway but when I first quit (the first few days), I felt I had nothing to look forward to, wasn't sure what to do with myself, e tc. One thing that has helped me tremendously was just to sit with the feelings. Before, i always had a way of running from the feelings. I couldn't imagine just looking at the feelings and trying to accept them and not judge myself. Now I find that it doesn't last forever, it's just a few moments or hours of not feeling good. But it always passes. I have to remind myself of this everyday, sometimes every hour in these early stages. So many people have told me that it continues to get easier. And now that I look back, I had these feelings even more when i was drinking. I just put them on the back burner. Now it's time to deal with them. Stay strong and keep posting. That also helped me tons. We are here for you.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on Day 2, today, Peta. But, I've been on Day 3 before and know that it's the hardest day. Depression hits me like a ton of bricks on Day 3. I'm not sure if it's my brain craving that dose of alcohol to connect those synaspes that make you "feel good". My dr. told me that when you drink a lot, you brain quits doing that on it's own because the alcohol has replaced that. So, it takes time to find ways to get your brain to be normal again. And, I think I get depressed thinking I can't ever drink again - ever! Alcohol has been a friend to me in times of need (that's an ironic thing to say I know). I havn't figured it out yet, but I don't want to go the meds route. I'm going to try hard to get beyond it this time.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello
good to see you here. I had the same thing- quit 7 days ago. after i got through the shakes, sweats and insanity that i experienced- which was day 4 i think, i took a 45 minute walk with my dogs- very slowly just taking in nature. Then today i felt a bit ok when i woke up so i decided to do a vigorous exercise on a stationary bike which ended up being an hour. I felt absolutely great afterward. then around 3-4 hrs later i felt down a little again.
My point is exercise is a great way to combat that 'down' feeling in my opinion.
Dub