Notices

Emptied out all the beer

Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emptied out all the beer

Bring on the sleepless nights, bring on the loneliness, bring on the boredom. I have to tackle this head on. I need a change.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The loneliness and boredom aren't mandatory backtender - and I hope any sleeplessness is fleeting

good call

D
Old 06-26-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks dee, I will figure it out, I know those things will just be temporary, cuz of all the post I've been reading here.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

Good for you backtender! When you're sleepless, just hop online here and see if there's anyone online to chat with. Or go exploring the endless list of google results when you do a search for something like "sober recovery" or "alcoholism support".

My support to you!

WW
Old 06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks whitewave, everyone is so nice,and helpfull here, I can't beleive you guys can actually put a tear in my eye.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, Backtender!

I'm with Dee on this one; loneliness and boredom are choices, not requirements, for sobriety.

My life isn't boring, it's predictable and that is so okay with me 'cause I've had enough drama-rama to last me a lifetime.

Like anything, learning to live in recovery takes time and patience and the desire to want to make a change. It's so much more than just putting down the bottle.

Just staying sober, to me, is a life of anxiety, frustration, impatience and yep, boredom; trying to keep yourself so pre-occupied doing nothing and everything just to pass the time away to be able to say, "I didn't drink today."

That kind of life and living in recovery are worlds apart in meaning.

Take the time to learn about living in recovery and prepare to be amazed.

I was and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear backtender I felt like you did too in the first days/weeks of sobriety...but I can honestly tell you, it does get better!! You can fill your life with positive things!! things that alcohol could never ever give you!!
Welcome to SR! and all the best!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi backtender - We're all here rooting for you! Be good to yourself, enjoy waking up without a hangover, and don't drink just for today. Things will get better and you'll discover that boredom and loneliness are just temporary moods while we learn (practice) how to reenter the real world.

Take it one hour at a time if you have to, find something positive today, and be proud of yourself for doing this!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job on dumping the beer! I can't add much to what the others have said but for me, I am much happier over all in sobriety.

As far as the loneliness and boredom go, get out and see some new stuff. Check out what's going on at your local community college or museums. There are many activities that might be of interest to you that are free or low cost.

You might check out the YMCA too for some swimming or exercise classes.

Love,

Lenina
Old 06-27-2010, 12:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Backtender - GOOD FOR YOU!!!! The boredom sets in from us not finding new ways to handle our newfound sobriety. I know when I first quit.....well I was really sick after the last bender so that was enough to keep me sober for a lifetime....but....I would sit idle in the evenings trying to figure out what to do. My mind was racing.

I spent much time on SR, reading books and researching new activities I wanted to try. Sometimes it was as simple as taking my dog for a walk and just taking everything in around me. For so many years, my brain was always thinking alcohol regardless of what I did. If I were on a trip then it was thinking - when are we going to get dinner so I can drink. At home it would be....when will this person leave so I can drink. Even at work I thought - do I need to pick up booze before I go home? is there enough to last me this weekend?

I tossed the bottle and have taken all that freetime and applied it to productive things. You can do this friend~~ Stay strong
Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm....
I've never been bored since I joined AA and got active.

That was the change I found the most useful.

Glad you are planning to move forward....
Old 06-27-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My life isn't boring, it's predictable and that is so okay with me 'cause I've had enough drama-rama to last me a lifetime.
I so agree with this. My life used to be a mess and the only thing I was sure of was that I wasn't feeling good most of the time and wasn't happy at all. Now I handle being bored as my 'down time', time to take it easy, take a nap, do something different. Yes, I'm bored a lot but drinking will only make it worse.

Hang in there. Find yourself a new hobby. Clean your house top to bottom. Join a club or group and make new friends. Do anything but drink. It WILL get better.